help with philadelphia hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help!!! I can't find a hotel room for June 19-23. I am travelling with my husband and 2 teenagers to see the historic area of Philadelphia, and there must be some huge convention or event because there is not one room available in the whole city. We had thought of staying at the airport and commuting in each morning but is that going to be a hassle? I have looked at Bed and breakfasts and they are booked too. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? Which suburb is the easiest to get into town from? Help!!
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:55 PM
mei

It is very easy to commute into the city from South Jersey. There are several hotels in Cherry Hill...the Hilton in particular is really close 15-20 min) to the city and I never have a traffic problem. If you are not going to have a car, there is a B & B in Haddonfield that is a 5 minute walk to the train station and a 20 minute train ride into the city. There a few hotels a little closer, but beware....they are pretty dumpy.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:51 PM

Have you checked with www.hotels.com yet? I just looked, using your dates and alot of hotels come up in the area, especially in King of Prussia. YOu also might try the Holiday Inn on City Line Ave. There is a bus that stops on City Line, that will take you right downtown Philadelphia.

Also you might call the hotels directly and see if rooms are available at some of the larger hotels.

Also staying out by City Line, you are very close to the Philadephia Zoo.

Several restaurants and some shopping in that area as well.

Hope this helps.
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:18 AM
mei

I wouldn't stay in King of Prussia...the traffic can be really bad to and from....there is an enoromous mall there. City Line is not as bad. Cherry Hill is not exactly beautiful, but it is so easy to get into the city from there.

Another option....you could look for a B & B in Manayunk...that's a fun section of the city and your teens might like it, but I'm not sure what you'll find. It's about 20 minutes into center city, without traffic. Just keep in mind, anything west of the city can involve the Schuylkill Expressway which is often slow or jammed, but does it give you a great view of boathouse row.
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Look on the Main Line...Radnor, Wayne, Strafford, Devon, Berwyn. Wayne has a few nice privately owned hotels near the train station. There is a Courtyard by Marriott a short walk from the Stafford station. All are also near the Expressway and Radnor is near the Blue Rt (Rt 476?) which connects 95 with the expressway.
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Listen to Birdie.A SEPTA train to the Market East station costs $7.50 RT, off-peak.Safe, easy and you'll miss the traffic that are filling the downtown hotels.
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Wow. Neither Orbitz nor hotels.com are showing anything in or very close to Center City. Based on the availability I see, I think the Residence Inn in Conshohocken is the best choice; you can take a train into the city, and it's also very close to the expressway. The Hilton in Cherry Hill might be also be a good choice. It doesn't have much character, but it is close the city -- you will have to drive from there. Skip the airport hotels; that area is not nice at all.