Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with NYC hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-nyc-hotel-45554/)

Omar Essack Jun 2nd, 1999 06:57 AM

Help with NYC hotel

Hi from South Africa. I've booked a budget hotel called the Manhattan Broadway, situated at 273W 38th Street (I think), via Hotel Reservations Network on the web. <BR>I can't find much information about the property. Can anyone help with info on the area and the hotel. It might be new, or newly renovated. I'm in New York City from 13 July 1999 for 6 nights with my wife and 5 year old daughter. <BR>Thanks in advance. <BR>Omar

L.Z Jun 2nd, 1999 12:01 PM

Hi, Omar <BR>If you'll be in NY from Jun25th till July 2nd ,1999 I can help you with <BR>my sleep-4 luxury timeshare suite, <BR>in the best part of Manhattan. <BR>Thank you <BR>email me <BR>Zeev

evan Jun 2nd, 1999 12:25 PM

Do not stay there. It is 2 blocks from the bus terminal in the one part of midtown that has not been cleaned up yet. The hotel up to a year ago was a gathering place for drugs and hookers. The block is all industry. Sorry for bad news.

Beverly Jun 2nd, 1999 04:16 PM

Hi, Omar. I just wanted to second the response from Evan. I live in New York and I, myself, would not stay in that area of the city. For your safety and better enjoyment of the city, stay somewhere that is more tourist friendly and where you will not feel intimidated going back to the hotel late at night. Your wife and daughter will appreciate it greatly. If you tell me what kind of budget you are trying to stick to I'll try to see if there is anything in the local papers to recommend. <BR>

Emily Jun 3rd, 1999 08:24 AM

I went to NYC for the first time last month. I am a "Nervous Nelly" -- always on the lookout for possible danger when I travel. So you can believe me when I say that I had a marvelous time day and night all over the city and felt completely safe and secure EXCEPT in that particular area. As everyone else is advising, you ought to get a hotel in some other part of the city. Have a great time!

Diane Jun 4th, 1999 05:27 PM

See if you can get a good rate at the Hampshire Hotel and Suites, 147 W47th Street. I just spent the night there (business trip) in a suite that would do great for a couple with a 5yr old. It is small, but clean. The suite had a queen bed in the bedroom, a sofa bed in the living room, and a good sized "marble" bath. It is air conditioned. The cost was $139 a night, but be forewarned, the taxes add quite a bit -- I made two phone calls at $1.10 each (although there is a pay phone in the lobby you can use for less) and the final bill was $163. That is considered pretty reasonable in NYC. You may be able to negotiate a better price since you are staying more nights. The location is super -- in the "Theater" district. Also - expect street noise, no matter where you stay (unless you are up 20 floors or more in a big hotel).

Omar Essack Jun 5th, 1999 06:25 AM

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. <BR>I've pulled out of The Manhattan Hotel on the basis of your advice. I like the Ameritania and I'm certainly going to try The Hampshire Hotel and Suites, as you have suggested, Diane. <BR>By the way, does anyone know The St. Moritz well ? <BR> <BR>Regards <BR>Omar

vicki Jun 5th, 1999 03:41 PM

St. Moritz is across the street from Central Park. Very good location. I stayed there a few years ago in a suite and found it to be quite comfortable. Stayed this year at the San Carlos. It was clean and comfortable but had quite a ways to walk to any attractions.

steve Jun 5th, 1999 05:40 PM

The St Moritz is certainly in a much better location than your previous choice. The St Moritz is an older hotel that, for the most part has not been recently renovated-but if the price is right you might consider it. May I also suggest you look into The Roosevelt- it is a large hotel which recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation. While it can get crowded with tour groups, the lobby and public areas are gorgeous. The rooms are nicely updated(some are pretty small). The Roosevelt often runs specials and you can often get pretty reasonable rates. One other suggestion would be to try one of the Manhattan East Suites- they have several all-suite hotels which are sometimes reasonably priced and would work well for a family. I am sure you will enjoy New York.

Orbra H. Feb 6th, 2001 09:29 PM

Hello Coming to NYC Summer 2001 booked a budget hotel called Quality Hotel and Suites Midtown, located on 46th St. does anyone have any knowledge of this hotel.