Help with NY itinerary for tomorrow!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I will be in NY tomorrow. We arrive at 12:30 and our plan is to check into our room at the Edison in Time Square and then go out for lunch -- either at the hotel or take the subway to Katz's Deli for a NY experience. We have reservations for the Upright Citizens Brigade at 8:00, but want to be in line by 7:00. I would love to go visit the nearby High Line Park (if weather permits!) I figure after a late lunch, we'll just get something light before the show. How much time should we allow for the High Line Park? I know that probably depends on if it's raining or not. I guess if it's raining too heavily plan B may be to visit one of the museums, maybe check out the fashion exhibit at the Met.
Thanks (again)
Laurie
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:55 AM

The High Line is very short and can be done in as little as 15-20 mins. or you can linger and spend an hour there. Katz's is not really located conveniently to any of the things you mention. If you want to do the High Line after lunch, I'd eat near it. The bar area of the Standard Grill in front of the Standard Hotel is fun, relatively inexpensive and ideally located. Or eat at the hotel or near it and then head straight to the High Line.

Plan B, go to the Met. Have lunch there or near it. See the costume exhibit. Head down to the High Line. Grab a lite bite near the theater.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, McLaurie. You are a wealth of information. Are you a NY native? If the weather is nice when we arrive tomorrow, and I don't want to take a chance on waiting until early evening to see High Line Park in case it rains, is there enough to do in that area to fill the whole afternoon before the show? I know the Chelsea Meat Market is nearby. Anything else you can recommend to fill our time?
Thanks,
Laurie
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 06:34 AM

In Chelsea there are many art galleries, also the Rubin Museum of Art and the Chelsea Art museum. As far as the market, it's not just meat, it's all kinds of specialty markets under 1 roof. Also nearby is Madison Square Green park (weather permitting).
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM

You can go to the restaurant in the Edison for a "Ny experience." With little time I would not go down to katz's and then to the high line.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/cafe-edison/
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM

The fashion exhibit at the Met while small was fantastic. After it, we then went to the PIcasso exhibit which was also fantastic. I feel like there may have been one other special exhibit at the same time, and we may have visited it as well. It was a concentrated hour or two of art that was well worth the trip to the Met.

Personally, I would choose the Met over a visit to the HIgh LIne Park, I don't get what's so special about it. It's an elevated park. Neat, but it's still just a park. I understand in NYC that having green space is important but if you aren't living there and live someplace where there's lots of green, it's still just a narrow path with some plantings. And while Chelsea Market is interesting, again I can think of neater things to do than to kill time wandering around it. Just to be contrarian.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 08:14 AM

To spend only 15-20 minutes on the High Line is to NOT get a full appreciate of the attraction. Lingering is better!
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 08:48 AM

I'd suggest going to Chelsea Market for lunch there are so many great options like the Lobster stand there, the Lobster rolls are amazing, not cheap but amazing, and strolling the market is fun.

From there you can walk to the Highline and enjoy seeing the city from a new perspective.

The forcast is rain for tomorrow, but we have been having forcasts for rain for days now and no rain just some clouds, so here's hoping you we have better than expected weather tomorrow.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Mmmmm.....lobster.
Great suggestions. If it does rain, maybe I can save High Line until Friday morning as our shuttle doesn't leave until 1:00. I'm a gardener so I know I will love it. I live in Chicago, and Lurie Garden in Millenium Park, although small, is still my favorite garden. Unfortunately for my daughter, I will probably linger over every plant.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Rather than Katz's, try the Second Avenue Deli located on 33rd and Third ave (they moved from second, but that's another story). It is an authentic NY deli, one of very few left and many, including myself, prefer it to Katz' although there could be fist fights over that. You could walk there (long walk) from the Edison.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM

If you are a gardener then take a trip to the Botanical Garden in the Bronx or the Formal Garden in Central Park just off 5th Ave in the 90's just spectacular.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM

I second the recommendation for the NY Botanical Garden in the Bronx. There currently is a wonderful exhibition highlighting a re-creation of poetess Emily Dickenson's garden.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM

I agree lingering is better, but I also agree with williamscb that the High Line while interesting can be very underwhelming if you're expecting something like Central Park.

The High Line is IN the meatpacking district which is on the edge of Chelsea and the village. There's loads to see/do in the general area depending on your interests. Not all the art galleries in Chelsea are open during the week but there are trendy shops (mostly pricey) in the meatpacking district. I spent most of a day there with a friend. We shopped at Loehmann's, had lunch at the STandard Grill, walked the High Line and had a look at the shops in the meatpacking district followed by a drink at the Gansevoort roof. You can also have a look at the Chelsea Market and the Rubin Museum is not far. But I would also first go to the Met if I had the choice.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:39 PM

It's suppose to be rainy, cold and awful tomorrow. So sorry. Hope "they" are wrong. Choose your favorite museum after lunch.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If you do visit Chelsea Market, there is an excellent Monet exhibit in a gallery nearby. www.gagosian.com , click on 21st St. gallery.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 06:05 AM

basingstoke2 is right, there could be fistfights over the identity of the best NYC deli.

And if there are indeed "many" who prefer Second Avenue Deli, there are surely "many" who prefer Katz's. One would guess lots of folks have their ideas on the subject, with "many" on either side of the fence.

Myself, I'd pick Katz's between the two, but Second Avenue Deli is really close in this race for me. Tough to go wrong at either, though. If you can, try both and compare.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 07:31 AM

So, I'm curious. What did you do yesterday with your day in the city? Did you make it to the High Line Park. Impressions?
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Just back from NY. Dead tired. Had an amazing time, as always. Thank you all so much for all your suggestions. I couldn't have done it without you. I'll post a trip report separately.
Laurie