Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help with New Orleans Hotel Lafayette and nearby dinner on Sunday night.

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
MAP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at Hotel Lafayette on St. Charles Sunday night. Is it a decent hotel, by the way? Could you recommend a place within walking distance for dinner Sunday night? We are open for anything from casual to very nice, up to range of about $100 for two. Past favorites are Commander's brunch, Feelings, Galatoires years ago, Mother's, Mr. B's, Brigsten's. Appreciate suggestions.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM

What do you consider walking distance? There are a ton of restaurants within a mile, so your choices are wide open.

Check out Cochon, about 0.5 mi from your hotel.

www.cochonrestaurant.com

I don't eat pork, and I still enjoyed my meal there very much.

Emeril's was my favorite meal of my last trip there (about 0.4 mi from your hotel), but not sure it's in your budget...if you don't drink wine/liquor, you could probably do $100 for two, but if you add in drinks you could easily exceed that limit.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM
MAP
Original Poster

Thanks beanweb 24. We were thinking 1/2 mile or so. Emerils was good, but we have been there. Cochon sounds great and we have a reservation for Monday lunch. Thank you. Any other ideas out there?
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM

It's not walking distance, but easy to get to via St Charles steetcar - Pascal's Manale on Napoleon Ave. One of our favorites. Fantasic BBQ shrimp (NO style, not southwestern) and crabmeat remolaude. Take streetcar down St Charles to Napoleon Ave, then it's about a 2-3 block walk. Casual attire.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Just spent a week in New Orleans and ate at Cochon twice: once for dinner and once for lunch. Loved it! (Especially the coconut tart with almond ice cream- ohhhh yum!!)
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM
MAP
Original Poster

Yes, we look forward to Cochon, and coconut tart will be on my list! BBQ. shrimp and Pascal M's sounds good. Thanks. Too bad Herbsaint is closed on Sunday as is Elizabeth's.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
MAP
Original Poster

Another question or two about your favorites: how is breakfast at Cafe Adelaide in Loew's Hotel? How about dinner at Tommy's? Thanks again.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM
BKD

Herbsaint is across the street and is one of my favorite restaurants. Same owner as Cochon. Two doors down is Le Chat Noir, one of the best cabaret venues in the US. Always great shows there or just have a drink in the bar after dinner at Herbsaint.

Lafayette Hotel is fine. Not the best, but by far more than acceptable.

Also, one more thing, if you like to try wines, there's a wine bar within walking distance in the 600 block of Tchoupitoulas called the Wine Institute of New Orleans (WINO for short). You can try all sorts of wine by the glass, half glass or just a taste. Very convivial atmosphere. Highly recommend it.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:46 AM
MAP
Original Poster

BKD, I tried Herbsaint and they are closed on Sunday. Rats. Your other ideas sound great and we will try them. We also have a dinner res. at Tommy's Sunday night. It is Mother's day so we thought best to reserve.

Thank you.