Help with last minute motel Massachusetts to Michigan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to a family illness we will be traveling from Massachusetts to Michigan. We do have the route mapped out and plan to leave on a wednesday afternoon and stop somewhere between buffalo and hamilton, ontario. We will have our boston terrier with us and would like to be able to call ahead rather than reserve ahead. We don't know how far we will make it before wanting to stop. Does anyone have any good cheap clean suggestions that are pet friendly for a place to stay? Also does anyone have experience with the borders at canada and us. We will be going into canada from ny and entering back into us through michigan. We will have our dog and unfortunately our passports are currently being renewed. We plan to bring copies of our passport, birth certificates, proof of renewal if possible and dog immunizations. Are we missing anything?
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 04:49 AM

sorry about your situation. i always use this toll-free to hotels.com. someone gave it to me years ago and said many of their employees use it as some sort of preferred rate line. 800.686.9206
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 07:12 AM

you can find hotels all along the way in your price range at www.freetrip.com
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 09:52 AM

We travel from the Boston Area to the Detroit area. We used to take the route you are planning on. The last two trips, we went without leaving the U.S. I think it adds about an hour more driving time, but there are no border stops, which a couple of times, took about 30-45 minutes waiting in line. We don't have a dog. Disadvantages: you have to drive through Cleveland so avoiding rush hour is a good idea.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Along the way you will probably make a stop or two at the rest stops and when there pick up the lodging guide, it will list all the hotels/motels in the area and with phone numbers and discount codes for a one night stay. They will even list pet friendly in the advertisements.

We have used those several times and found it a most helpful tool for travel, since you will have research in hand, and can easily make calls from your car with your cel.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. We did consider driving through Ohio and Cleveland. We have to go up to Traverse City area in Michigan. This puts us in the Northwest of Michigan, across and up from Detroit. I think that would add much more time to our travel. I am concerned about the borders. It would be nice to have the situation that the countries in the european union have; going from country to country without going thru customs.