Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with Kauai!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-kauai-301313/)

zamp22 Mar 27th, 2003 09:16 AM

Help with Kauai!!

My fiancee and I are going to Kauai for a week. Does anyone have great places to stay for less than $200/ night. The Sheraton looks great and everyone keeps mentioning the Radisson but I hear it is not on a good beach. Condos are fine, as are B and Bs. We just want to be close to a great beach and not swamped with tourists. <BR>ALso we were thinking of flying to Maui, staying two nights just to relax on a tranquil, typical Hawaiian beach and recuperate from jet lag and then head over to Kauai for 5 nights. Is this a bad idea? Any advice?

kameha Mar 27th, 2003 09:41 AM

I personally would spend all of the time on Kauai. It is such a lovely place. And I would choose the North side (Hanalei/Haena). Why don't you do a search for vacation rentals in Kauai? You can find some cool cottages/homes that are cheaper per night than the Sheraton. have more character and are right on or near the beach.<BR>

Ronda Mar 27th, 2003 09:49 AM

Staying in Maui for two nights and then switching hotels is not worth the trouble. If you have 7 days, do yourself a favor and stay in one place if relaxation is your goal. Additionally, if you rent a condo or house you probably need 7 days to get the weekly rate or they may not rent to you for less than 7 days.<BR><BR>Maui has great beaches but for tranquility, I prefer Kauai. And to really get away from everything, stay on the North Shore. We always rent a duplex in Hanalei. We have rented from:<BR>http://www.kauai-vacation-rentals.com/ before.<BR><BR>When are you going? We had to reserve early for June last year.

stellaluna Mar 27th, 2003 09:50 AM

check out waimeaplantationcottages.com<BR>when we went to Kauai we stayed at the Hyatt: i really liked it, but it's a big, active resort. the Plantation Cottages may be more of what you're looking for. and i agree with above poster: spend all of your vacation on Kauai. it is a gorgeous, serene and peaceful island. you won't want to leave!!

mclaurie Mar 27th, 2003 09:56 AM

There's tons of info right here if you do a text search. As you probably know, the big debate for Kauai is north or south &amp; it depends somewhat on time of year.<BR><BR>As to the question of stopping on Maui, I think it depends upon where you're starting from &amp; what time you arrive. We flew from NY &amp; had to stay overnight in Honolulu before continuing to Kauai. Our luggage was lost &amp; we really couldn't settle in until arriving in Kauai. On the return, we stopped for a few days in SF which was divine. So I guess I'm saying if you're coming from the east, the idea of stopping is, IMO, a good one, but I'd think about maybe a day in LA. assuming you're lookign for beach. There are some nice hotels not too far from LAX.

BrendaM Mar 27th, 2003 12:07 PM

The main thing the Sheraton has going for it is the beach. The Sheraton sits right on the beach, no long walk, very very accessible. Also the beach there is a crescent shaped beach with a lovely sandy bottom, with waves that are not too scarey and are managable. It is a very swimmable beach. I love this beach and find it to be one of the best on the South shore.

valboyer Apr 1st, 2003 07:58 AM

Having stayed in many hotels on business and pleasure; I personally would not choose a hotel in Kaui, unless it is the Ritz and even then I'm not sure I would do it. We stayed in a rented cottage in Maui and it was VERY private &amp; romantic. No room service, but we did have washer/dryer and kitchen, separate bedroom, etc. Going to Kauai on April 5 and we are again NOT staying at a hotel/resort even though S.O. is attending meetings daily at the Hyatt. If you want to see tons of people coming and going and spend a ton on money--stay in a hotel. If you want romance and privacy and the feel of authentic Hawaii, rent a cottage or house. A good sight is www.vrbo.com. Good luck

JohnD Apr 1st, 2003 08:28 AM

Check out the Hanalei Bay Resort it has hotel rooms, studio's and condo's and other condominiums in the Princeville Resort Area.