Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with itinerary please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-itinerary-please-406972/)

SallyB Mar 4th, 2004 09:45 PM

Help with itinerary please!

Hi

Planning to visit from the UK in August for approx 16 nights.

So far planning to do LA-Las Vegas-San Diego-Disney.

What are the best areas of LA to stay in? Would like a hotel where we can walk out to restaurants in the evening and that is preferably on the beach!

Many thanks.
SB

OaktownTraveler Mar 5th, 2004 08:59 AM

SallyB:

You gotta give us more info.

Budget? Amount of days?

Also, grab a guide book...LA is not "on" the beach per se...

Happy Planning,
Oaktown Traveler

rjw_lgb_ca Mar 5th, 2004 09:21 AM

The budget question is very important. Hotels "on the beach" will be very expensive. And, since the LA metro area is so huge, walking places is often a secondary consideration. The true question is: How much are you willing to spend per night in LA and San Diego?

You HAVE done some cursory glancing at maps, haven't you? LA to LV is a four-hour drive (but a quick flight) when there's no traffic. WITH traffic, five hours at least. Plan on flying there.

bobludlow Mar 5th, 2004 03:53 PM

LA locals know their freeways intimately, and the most common mistake for tourists is to take the wrong ones at the wrong time and spend half their day stuck in traffic. So take bite-size hunks of Los Angeles and plan your vacation carefully. Santa Monica makes a nice home base and offers the walking distance beaches and nightlife. You could stay at a hip/high-end hotel like Shutter's, Casa del Mar, Viceroy, orLoew's. You can walk to the pier, you can walk to dinner, and from Santa Monica you can head inland to Beverly Hills and West Hollywood for more shopping and nightlife, or to Venice Beach for the alternative scene, or if you thirst for more of a classic California/beach environment head further south to the beach cities (Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach) or north up the Pacific Coast Highway. There are plenty of cheaper hotel alternatives in Santa Monica, too.

And if you have the time, a drive through the LA metropolis and then out across the desert to Las Vegas would be an eye-opener for a bunch of Brits. Watch the movie "Swingers" before you go. A great way to see old and new Vegas is to visit Peppermill's Fireside Lounge and the Ghost Bar on the same night. You'll see what I mean.

CalgirlSusan Mar 5th, 2004 05:04 PM

Sally, are you reviewing your posts? You seem to keep asking the same questions over and over on different posts, yet you get answers and never respond to them. Do you know how to use this board or do you need help? We can help you if you need it. Meanwhile click on your name at the top of any of your posts and all your other posts and their replies will appear as if by magic.

SallyB Mar 6th, 2004 03:37 AM

Hello

Thanks to everyone for their responses -much appreciated!

Calgirl, yes thank you, I'm a veteran on this site and have been for about the last 5 years!!!!! I'm working long hours at the moment, so only check in around every 48hrs!

My reviews may seem to ask the same questions but if you look at them closely there are differences, but surely you have a more interesting life than to do that!

I don't always respond, because I'm so busy in my life, that is the beauty of this site, you can dip in and out, I can't sit on here all day! Plus, do you think posters get offended by lack of response! It's not a chatroom, I've left posts many times and would never be offended by lack of response, it doesn't mean the post has gone unread. The purpose of this site is for quick and direct information, not to respond if you have nothing to say - I try to respond if I have time by saying "thanks", but it's not always possible and I don't think it's always necessary!

Most people using this website are busy people who want quick answers to their queries, not conversation!

I found your posting quite abrupt and had I been a new visitor I may have been put off!

SB

Curious Mar 6th, 2004 10:44 AM

Sorry, SallyB, CalgirlSusan is right on the money. If anyone was being rude and abrupt, it was your last response.

If your are so busy you can't acknowledge posters talking time out of their own busy schedules to answer your many questions, maybe you need a travel agent.

Curious

lcuy Mar 6th, 2004 11:25 AM

SallyB- your questions are similar enough that I also thought you might need some help in retrieving them.
Everyone keeps asking you to give some budgetary guidelines- if you have $150 per night it is a waste of time for us to be recommending the Hotel del
Coronado! By being here, we're obviously happy to help others, but we're busy people too. If you only want quick answers, maybe a guide book or a search of old responses would be a faster alternative.

I thought CaligirlSusan was very gracious in offering to help you. I had just been ignoring your posts till you gave us something to work with.

got2travel2 Mar 6th, 2004 11:44 AM

You must be a slow learner if youve been here 5 years and use headlines like "help with itinerary! If you dont think you're repeating yourself, maybe you should review your questions:
- - - - - - - - -
Author: SallyB Date: 02/28/2004, 03:52
Planning to travel from the UK in August for 2 weeks approx.
How long would it take to drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas?
How long would it take to drive from Las Vegas to LA?
Many thanks.SB
- - - -
Author: SallyB Date: 02/28/2004, 03:52
Planning to travel from the UK in August for 2 weeks approx.
How long would it take to drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas?
How long would it take to drive from Las Vegas to LA?
Many thanks.SB
- - - -
Author: SallyB Date: 03/03/2004, 01:42
Coming over from the UK in August for around 14 nights.
The plan is to do LA, Las Vegas and San Diego.
We have a 17yr old guy in tow, so need to keep to relatively lively areas!
Does the above sound a good plan? Also, would appreciate a recommended stopping place for an overnight stay between Las Vegas and San Diego. I know this may not be necessary, but we want to take our time and do not like rushing from place to place.
Many thanks. SB
- - -
Author: SallyB Date: 03/05/2004, 01:50
Planning to stay in San Diego August 2004.
Can anyone recommend a reputable company that does Vacation Rentals?
Many thanks.
SB
- - - -
Author: SallyB Date: 03/05/2004, 01:49
Planning to visit San Diego (from UK) as part of a 2 week holiday in August.
Can anyone suggest the best areas to stay in please?
Many thanks. SB
- - - -
Author:SallyB Date: 03/05/2004, 01:48
Would also like to incorporate a day (night) in Hollywood.
What are the best hotels to stay in this area (not necessarily the most expensive!)?
Would like a hotel where we can walk out to restaurants in the evening.
Also, any advice on Hollywood tours?
Many thanks. SB
- - - -
Author: SallyB Date: 03/05/2004, 01:46
What are the best areas of LA to stay in? Would like a hotel where we can walk out to restaurants in the evening and that is preferably on the beach!
Many thanks.SB
- - - - - - - - - - -
We all have lives, and giving help takes time, so don't insult us by acting like you're too good to want to waste your time "chatting". I don't see that you offer anything here...just taking, and not very nicely, either.

OaktownTraveler Mar 6th, 2004 01:37 PM

SallyB:

Sigh, things just don't look too good for ya here at Fodor's...you have been
"outted".

Your post on Kenya and Chicago seem to get you the same responses and frustrations that you have gotten here.

BTW, how are you going to do both Kenya and LA in August 2004 for the amount of time that you specify?

Not my business... but you did put all this conflicting info on the Fodor's boards for all to see.

If you have been here for 5 years then you have not been paying attention to the very nice messages that have been sent your way up till now...

I am curious...last year(2003) you posted that your son was 15 years old. This year(2004) you post that he is 17 years old.

Are you too busy at home too to know his age? No reply needed.

IMHO, you simply do not sound like or post like a traveller who really is thankful or appreciates what other very busy travellers have tried to do for you.

Oaktown Traveler

SallyB Mar 7th, 2004 02:50 AM

I am totally disgusted with the last few responses, when none of you know absolutely nothing about me or my situation!!!!

I find it incredible that someone must lead such a boring life that they have to drag up all my postings - what a total wierdo you must be, I pity you.

Let's get some facts straight.

My husband works for an airline. Therefore, we get fabulous discounts with our flights. However, we have to go to destinations where flights run like buses to lessen the chance of being 'bumped off'.

Initially, we going to go to Kenya, until we discovered the destination we wanted to get to meant logistically it wouldn't be possible.

We also get great discounts on hotels, so therefore, I can't state a room rate because for a 5* we can often get 50-75% discount, but quite often some 3* are more suited to our taste.

My son is actually 16, but at the time of travel will be 17.

Why don't you all take a hike. I'm so p*ssed off with you all. I thought yanks were suppose to be friendly and the majority of you are, but there is always the freaky wierdos who spoil it for the rest.

Get a life! You utter total pathetic lowlifes! I'm signing off and will never visit this site under this name again.

Get of your fat arse and go and do something with your life - you are a very very sad people and I'm not returning to read your response, so don't waste your fat smelly breath!

GTH.

lcuy Mar 7th, 2004 10:36 AM

Why thank you Pru! Oops I mean Sally B. Your true personality comes out! And all because we ask that you be a little more specific on your needs. $75-$150 a night? $200 to $600 range? My goodness we're not asking you to commit, we just want to provide info that is useful, but you turn into a raving Bitch! Please, take your holiday in Kenya, or Russia, or Croatia. You will have an awful time in California with your attitude!
And... what makes you think we're all Yanks?
Cheers!

bobludlow Mar 8th, 2004 07:34 AM

Well, SallyB certainly showed us. She was so mad that she promised to never visit this site again . . . . under the name SallyB. I guess that means SallyC isn't nearly as angry.