Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai Marriott Resort & BeachClub - How is it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Kauai for June 2007. We like Marriott resorts and have stayed at the Renaissance Wailea in Maui and the KoOlina Ihilani on Oahu and loved them both! Would like input from someone who has experienced a stay at the Marriott in Lihue, Kauai. How are the rooms? Would you recommend the regular hotel rooms or the BeachClub Villas? Do they typically grant upgrades upon request? How is the swimming/snorkeling on the beach right there in front? What is your opinion of the location? Is there plenty of sunshine on that side of the island in June? Would appreciate any first-hand information on this Resort.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:16 AM

Hi, Mikensha! We have stayed at the Kauai Marriott Resort. It is very nice. The rooms are regular Marriott rooms; I'm not sure about getting an upgrade. The pool is great.

We didn't snorkel in front of the hotel. There are lots of beaches within an hour's drive that are great for snorkeling.

The resort is located in Lihue, very near the airport. Although I've seen where people have mentioned hearing the airplanes occasionally, we never heard one airplane while we were there. I think there might be more rain in Lihue during the summer than on the south side of the island. The location is pretty good, because you're right in the middle -- you can drive north to Ke'e and other beaches, and you can also drive south to the Poipu area and then to the canyon.

We really enjoyed our stay here. The pool is one of the best features -- really large with lots of chairs.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM

Kalapaki Beach, in front of the Lihue Marriott, is one of my favorite swimming beaches. Hard packed sandy bottom, and a very gradual drop-off. Lots of lawn chairs on the lush green lawn between the hotel and beach. It's not a snorkeling beach, though. I enjoy watching the cruise ships come and go from the nearby harbor as I lounge at the beach. Duke's restaurant (on site) is one of the best in the islands, both for food and tropical ambiance.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Is the location of the Kauai Marriott located on one of the beaches that is mostly sunny in June? How do the sunsets look from that area compared to another area, say Poipu or Waimea? We obviously are looking for a place with both of those qualities. Any advise from experienced Kauai travelers would be nice. Thanks!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Kalapaki Beach faces south, with the Port of Lihue and hills to the west, so don't expect to see sunsets over the water from there.

The other thing about Kalapaki is that it's sheltered by two jetties which create an entrance to the harbor. They make for a relatively calm beach and nice swimming, but IMO spoil the view, somewhat. To me, it doesn't really feel like an ocean beach; more like a bay or harbor.

Don't know about the weather in June. We were there several years ago in May, and uuhhhh..... except for the temperature, we may as well have been at home in Oregon.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 01:11 PM

First full disclosure, we own a timeshare at this Marriott since 1997.

We personally love this hotel, we normally get an oceanview (not oceanfront) room. Have never been upgraded to oceanfront but was not paying for the room. We have asked to have a different room if we did not like the location. We normally go in the fall, this last September was wonderful, no rain except for a hour or two one night. Sorry cannot help about June weather.

The pool is great, they are supposed to be adding heat to the pool next year I think.

The beach is nice but it is on an enclosed bay. This has never bothered us. Beach in front of Marriott has nice grass and trees and you can put loungers under them if you do not want to lie in the direct sun. Think they also have pool bar service to the grassy beach area, if not Kalapaki Grill is right between pool and beach.

It is a good central location for driving to various parts of the island. Be sure and eat at Duke's either for lunch or dinner (the main upstairs part is only open for dinner, the more informal Barefoot Bar is open for both).

Have a great trip.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:31 AM

We've only been to Kaua'i in June, July and August and the weather was WONDERFUL. High of 86 low of 75, big, fluffy clouds floating by, tradewinds of around 10-15 knots keeping it comfortable, an occasional passing shower during the day and LOTS of rain (especailly north shore) in the evening and early morning hours. I love the weather on that hell-hole!

pila
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 09:52 AM

OK, we're Marriott time share owners. It was our first time to see both on Kauai. We stayed in the one on Poipu Beach. It is wonderful, and beautiful. It's on the south were you have better weather, so we did a week in the south, and a week in the North, in a house, as the North shore of Kauai is our favorite place on earth. Poipu Marriott... beautiful 2 bedroom suits... and on the great Poipu beach, very quaint setting, lagoon like pools, great beach bar with food, and restaurant was great food. And they have a store/market where you can get a Starr Bucks made up for you, a real pizza oven going all day, and some grocery and gift items... etc we loved it!!! Now, we went to check out the Lihui Marriott... and we were not so happy. The grounds are beautiful, but you can tell the Hotel has bee around for a while, and could use a face lift. We though the pool was like being in Las Vegas.Check out the website. We did not see the rooms. I know that in Poipu, it is a full kitchen, and there are BBQ's around the grounds to use. The Lihui Marriott i'm told, are just half kitchens...no stove or oven... just microwaves. We did like dukes right there by the hotel. But, if its between only Marriots, I'd do the Poipu. Otherwise, in the south, spend the money, and stay at the Hyatt, or rent a beach front house in the north shore...One week in Hawaii is never enough, and on Kauai, I recomend half in the south, hotel style, and half in the North beach house style.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 01:33 PM
tmt

I'm a bit amazed that folks like the beach at the marriot. We disliked it to much we canceled our massage and cabana rentals and went to the Marriott at Poipu area each and every day. I can't imagine snorkeling there - couldn't possibly see fish except if they were right next to you.

The water wasn't clear at all - hello, might be from all those ships coming into the bay.

The resort itself is beautiful - ask about the construction going on at the time.

There are alot of places near there to eat out in - especially local breakfast places where the loco moco is fab.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM

adrago - this person went in 2007 - only 6 years too late. Maybe they'll go again.

Did you notice the first line of their thread?

"We are planning a trip to Kauai for June 2007..."
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:02 AM

hello suzie!!

you're right ... I have not read the first sentence, because the title of the post DOES NOT describe dates ...

sorry for the mistake!

anyway...

BUT, what are you doing in a post 6 years ago?
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:05 AM

It was at the top of the topic list because you posted your advertising. I've been top the Resort and wanted to help the OP but I see they went 6 years sgo. So no need for my help or for your advertising for that matter. Hope that answers your question.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:51 AM

Already flagged.