Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with Itinerary for Carolinas and Georgia (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-itinerary-for-carolinas-and-georgia-263309/)

Kibby Jan 10th, 2008 11:38 AM

Help with Itinerary for Carolinas and Georgia

Hubby and I are planning a six night visit in mid -March, arriving early am Wed. March 12 via plane to Charlotte. We depart on Tues March 18 4:00 pm from Charlotte. Will be renting a car.
Would love to take in as much as possible, with a visit to Charleston for two nights, Savannah for two nights and some charming coastal towns for a night or two ( either North Carolina coast and/or South Carolina coast will do).
Any thoughts on a great itinerary that will accomplish this?
Would love to experience a B&B at some point - moderately priced for our retiree wallets. Thank you!!

Subway_Scoundrel Jan 22nd, 2008 01:35 PM

I would suggest staying as much DT in Charleston as possible. Days Inn is my favorite if it is still called that. Been remodeled and is an older motel but nicely done. Right in the middle of it all. Park the car and never use it unless you go outside the rivers. More expensive hotels if that is what you want including Charleston Place (not sure the name is right). I lived in Charleston in the 1980s and it has changed greatly.

Might want to go to Hilton Head. Kind of nice

gail Jan 22nd, 2008 02:00 PM

CAUTION. Time frame you are considering is around St Patrick's Day. This is not a time you want to visit Savannah unless you are a male in his early 20s. While Savannah has a reportedly nice parade, the weekend thru Monday 3/17 will mainly be a drunken mess. (Son is college student there and an expert on such matters).

Brutforce Jan 23rd, 2008 06:55 AM

gail is correct, in addition, you would be doing a lot of driving for teh tie you have available. For what you are seeking, you may be better served to fly into Chasrleston or Wilmington. Otherwise you'll be looking @ 4 hours (or so) each way from CLT. Beaufort (SC) is also woth a look as are many of the islands.

beach_dweller Jan 24th, 2008 08:02 AM

One problem with your desire to see some charming coastal towns in the Carolinas is basically that, after Charleston, none will measure up. Charleston is that good.

So I would suggest spending your coastal time in and around Charleston. That time of year, you may want to consider some beach time if that appeals to you--either the beaches near Charleston (e.g., Isle of Palms) or head down to Hilton Head for a few days. But in March the weather might be iffy--could be warm, could be cool; but ocean too cool to swim in.

Also, you could get a real variety of what the Carolinas have to offer by going first to Charleston, and then heading to Asheville NC for the remainder of your trip. Charleston to Asheville is an easy interstate drive (between 4.5 and 5 hours). Asheville is a wonderful small city in the mountains, lots of art, restaurants, etc. And a visit to the Biltmore House (and winery) would be very nice.