Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help with Hotel in New Orleans (French Quarter)? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-hotel-in-new-orleans-french-quarter-883768/)

sweetannie Mar 26th, 2011 01:55 PM

Help with Hotel in New Orleans (French Quarter)?

My elderly parents are wanting to go back to NO, so we are making plans to take them there. Right now, we're looking at the Omni and W Hotel, but open to suggestions. They can't walk far or handle many stairs, so we need something very well-located. Larger with amenities is probably going to trump small and charming on this trip. They'd prefer a room w/ 2 beds. Any suggestions? Thanks, annie

starrs Mar 26th, 2011 03:10 PM

Based on location I'd pick the Omni over the W.

I like the Dauphine Orleans a couple of blocks away. It's smaller and my mom enjoyed it for a couple of "girls trips" with her friends. But the Omni location is a good match for your parents.

starrs Mar 26th, 2011 03:10 PM

Based on location I'd pick the Omni over the W.

I like the Dauphine Orleans a couple of blocks away. It's smaller and my mom enjoyed it for a couple of "girls trips" with her friends. But the Omni location is a good match for your parents.

Rich Mar 26th, 2011 04:18 PM

The Dauphine. Iberville Suites and Montelone are our favorites. We usually pick the one with the best price.

All are in the Quarter, close enough to Bourbon St. to easily walk, but far enough away to be quite.

Deb15July Mar 26th, 2011 06:47 PM

I also loved Dauphine Orleans. Kind of a European feel!

We were just in NOLA for Mardi Gras and stayed at the Hampton Inn on Carondolet just across Canal from the FQ. The rooms were huge and I was very impressed by the service; plus breakfast was included (as was the case at Dauphine Orleans when we stayed there several years ago!)

I don't think you would go wrong with either of these locations. I've also stayed in the past at Hotel Provincial, which now has a very highly rated restaurant on site...Stella!. Le Richelieu also gets rave reviews. I've never stayed there, but many friends and family have and loved it.

car_free_traveler Mar 26th, 2011 08:35 PM

Dauphine Orleans is a good choice. Room with 2 beds had plenty of space and was clean and comfortable. There's an elevator. Self-serve breakfast though uninspiring had lots of choices to give you a full morning meal.

SusanCS Mar 27th, 2011 02:34 AM

Our current favorite in the French Quarter is the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon. The location is great, but I'm not sure whether they have two beds. You'd definitely want a room overlooking the pool rather than one on Bourbon, though.

notbob Mar 27th, 2011 06:01 AM

We always stay at the Monteleone.

www.hotelmonteleone.com

It is well located in the Quarter on Royal between Bienville and Iberville. The prices are reasonable and they usually have specials running.

they do have rooms with two double beds.

At the main entrance on Royal there are about four gentle steps up to the lobby after you get in the doors. The Carousel Bar also has about four or five steps up to it as well. The garage entrance off Bienville is has no steps and is ramped the entire way to the lobby. Gentle slope nothing too steep.

It is right across the street from Mr. B's Bistro for excellent BBQ shrimp, Dickie Brennans Steak house, about a block off Bourbon and Gallatoire's. Coming out the front door, you are about two blocks or so from the St Charles streetcar stop and a block form Canal.

sweetannie Mar 27th, 2011 10:44 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Unfortunately, both the weeks in May we were considering are completely full in NO due to conventions. Looks like we might be looking to Florida as an alternative. I may post another topic asking for suggestions in FL. thanks, annie

starrs Mar 27th, 2011 10:51 AM

Charleston or Savannah are good alternatives to New Orleans.

Deb15July Mar 27th, 2011 11:05 AM

Agree with starrs on her suggestions...also St. Augustine has a whole lot to do. There are a couple of "hop on, hop off" trolley companies that do good tours of the area and they're quite informative.

sweet...where would you be coming from? That might help with other suggestions.

sweetannie Mar 27th, 2011 02:47 PM

Starrs, we went to Charleston and Savannah last year and had a wonderful time. Took many of your suggestions with us. Deb, will check out St. Augustine. We live in the midwest. I wonder if it would be too warm in Key West in mid-May?

Deb15July Mar 27th, 2011 05:12 PM

Key West is another very unique place. I don't think there will be much difference in temps between St. Augustine and Key West.

Both places are worth visiting if you've never been. Key West is much more funky, and St. Augustine is more historical. Good restaurants can be found in both places and they both have the hop on hop off trolleys.

If you want more info...just let me know.

SusanCS Mar 27th, 2011 06:16 PM

sweetannie - it'll be getting really warm (and humid, which bothers me most) toward the end of May in Key West.

But the two places that've been the toughest for me were NO in August and September, and Charleston in July/August. Until I was in Charleston last summer, I'd never been more miserable than I was in NO in August and September. However, Charleston was so humid and hot that I couldn't walk outside for more than 10 minutes. That's HUGE for me, since I'm a walking fool. Not to mention the temps were above 100 (I think...in fact, I think they were 108)

I love Key West, but we normally don't go after the end of May or before the end of October.

Weather aside, I love Key West and Charleston and New Orleans above Savannah. Savannah is a wonderful city, but in my opinion, not as interesting as the other three.