Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   help with east coast Georgia/ South Carolina (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-with-east-coast-georgia-south-carolina-667261/)

Jann Dec 31st, 2006 12:00 PM

help with east coast Georgia/ South Carolina

I need help with selectihg an island or coast area in these two states. Looking for a quiet place to walk on the beach with my lab. I have looked at all the islands but not being familiar, don't know where to go. Did look at Tybee,some really cute houses but just found out--no dogs on the beach.My husband recently passed away so I just need to get away for a while. would like to leave i n the next couple days. Thank you for any help .

motor_city_girl Dec 31st, 2006 12:19 PM

Very, very sorry for your loss.

Seabrook Island, near Charleston SC. Very quiet, private island. Great for relaxing and reflecting. Also, only about 35-40 minute drive to town. You could also stay in Charleston. It is my favorite city!

cmcfong Dec 31st, 2006 12:20 PM

Jann, I am sorry for your loss. Here are some areas you might check. While some don't allow dogs in summer, many do permit them in winter. I hope beachdweller, GoTravel and starrsville will see this thread and offer some ideas.
Edisto Island, SC
Sunset Beach, NC
Jeckyll Island, GA

Jann Dec 31st, 2006 12:47 PM

Thank you so much. I will start looking at your suggestions.

cmcfong Jan 1st, 2007 02:06 PM

topping

BetsyinKY Jan 1st, 2007 03:03 PM

You could try Sullivan's Island, just outside Charleston, SC. We have stayed there several times and it is extremely quiet and peaceful and the beaches are very dog friendly. Dogs are allowed on the beaches in the mornings and late afternoons. Mornings on the beach especially, are like watching doggy playtime! Another plus is that you are only about 20 minutes from downtown Charleston if you want a change of scene, great shopping, or dining. We have used Island Realty twice for our stays, and been very pleased. Carroll Realty also rents homes on Sullivan's Island.

sallyjane3 Jan 1st, 2007 04:41 PM

Also so deeply sorry for your loss. St. Simon's Island (GA) is dog-friendly and the area is beautiful. I soaked up the serenity when I was in your situation.

God speed. And....it does eventually get better.

starrsville Jan 1st, 2007 07:50 PM

Jekyll Island is very low key, but sounds like what you are looking for. Some rental houses. Oceanside Inn and Suites is oceanfront and allows dogs. I don't know if they have a size restriction or not, but my pups loved going there for their "vacation".

LoveItaly Jan 1st, 2007 08:47 PM

Hello Jann, I am not knowledgable about the area, I was only in GA and a road trip from Atlanta to Charleston about a year and a half ago and without a pup.

But I just wanted to say that IMO you are planning a good trip..having lost my husband I so wish I had been free to do what you are planning on doing.
Blessings and my prayers to you..may you find peace with your venture.

chatham Jan 2nd, 2007 01:35 AM

Jann, I'm sorry for your loss. I lived on St. Simons Island for 26 years and our beach and my 2 dogs kept me going 17 years ago when I lost my husband. I'd walk, look at the beauty, watch the dogs my husband loved and talk to him. There are many lovely people in Georgia and I'm sure you will be made welcomed on any of the islands.
Kind Regards, Joan