Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help with Denver Luxury Hotel for Honeymoon Couple

Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

My little sister lives in Denver and is getting married in early May. As they aren't taking a honeymoon (she is a medical resident and has to go right back to work), I would like to treat them to at least one night of luxury in Denver with hotel and dinner for the night after their wedding.

I was looking at the Brown Palace, Teatro, or possibly the J.W. Marriott in Cherry Creek but I've found mixed reviews for all and can't decide. They are an outdoorsy and not too much into frilly stuff sort of couple in their late 20's. I would love to find a place with a view, great bathroom (soaking tub, etc.), and good service so I can arrange to have wine/champagne in the room, etc. If one of these places has a great suite, I'd go for that but I do have to say the the presidential suites in the Brown Palace look to be a bit overdone and not really their style.

Also, I want to send them to dinner somewhere really nice as well. I've heard Vesta Dipping Grill is fun and good and it seems like a place they would like but would appreciate any suggestions. Price is no object! Thanks!
Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM

Hotel Monaco Denver. Check out their "Love is in the Air" special.
Apr 4th, 2006, 05:55 AM

I second the Hotel Monaco. Forget about the Brown Palace. Also, check out the Magnolia Hotel.

Restaurants... Sullivan's, The Palm, Palamino, Morton's
Apr 4th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Absolutely, the Monaco.
Have a martini at the Cruise Room of the Oxford. Great art deco and fun.
Steak houses are too noisy although the Palm might be OK.
The Potagere (Denverites, check me) is an excellent French restaurant.
Where is she a resident--I assume U of CO. Friend is the dean of graduate students there.
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Yes, definitely Hotel Monaco. Their restaurant Panzano is excellent.
Apr 4th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Oh, don't know where my head is. For a memorable meal and fine wine, go to Elway's in Cherry Creek.
Apr 5th, 2006, 08:35 AM
MaureenB

I agree with the Hotel Monaco idea, especially if they have a "Love" special. It's very nice, but not frilly.
The Hotel Teatro, too, looks nice from the outside and I've heard their restaurant is very nice, but I've never stayed there or eaten there actually.
One other historic hotel is the Oxford, in LoDo and it might be worth looking into.
Sounds like a very nice gift for your sister!

Apr 5th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Tess

What a nice sister you are! Hotel Monaco is wonderful and very romantic in a hip way. We've stayed at Brown and I saw the Pres. Suites on a tour--I'm quite comfortable in saying it's NOT what you're looking for! Vesta Dipping Grill is perfect by your description of your sister and her husband-to-be. It is noisy, though--not quiet and romantic (but Vesta is on my top 3 list of fav Denver restaurants).

Apr 5th, 2006, 05:08 PM

I say send them somewhere where they will be at their table, by themselves, and private. I REALLY recommend Elway's and tell them the occasion. They will make it special and "private".
Apr 6th, 2006, 04:38 PM

I would suggest The Oxford --one of the Victorian Deluxe rooms especially.

If they have a weekend, how about a cabin in Estes Park? (www.vrbo.com or www.estesparkrealestate.com-click on vacation rentals).

McCormick's at the Oxford for seafood, or Vesta Dipping Grill, and Bistro Vendome are all really nice.

Sue
Apr 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Has anyone stayed in any of the suites in the Monaco and are the jacuzzi tubs mentioned on the hotel website big enough for two (not that I really want to think about that w/ my little sister). I'll map these places but are the oxford, Teatro and Monaco all roughly in the same area in terms of proximity to good restaurants/bars?

I'll have to figure out whether they might want a more romantic private dinner or more low key fun...

Gretchen - yes, she is a resident in the U of CO program I believe - her first year of surgery residency so the poor thing is is working killer hours right up to the wedding.

They are actually getting married close to Lyons (outside of Boulder) and we are all staying up there the night of the wedding. Then they are driving back to Denver the day after the wedding and were just planning to go back to their apartment that night but what fun is that!
Apr 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM

How about the brand new Hotel St. Julien in Boulder? It looks gorgeous, and they could start their brief honeymoon without driving all the way back to Denver (maybe someone could bring their car there and them so that they could enjoy a little champagne? It's just 9 miles from Lyons.). The restaurant is supposed to be great, and the scenery is beautiful. Plus, I believe you could get a great deal on hotels.com.
Apr 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Maybe you could rent a little cabin in the Chautauqua area in Boulder. I'm not sure how luxurious they are but the location is fabulous. I believe they are private rentals, so they probably vary. There are a lot of wonderful hiking trails around it. The dining room is open for all meals year around. It's just a skip down the hill into Boulder if they want to do something else. Up the hill is the Flagstaff House. It's a fabulous, worldclass restaurant. With advanced notice, they'd probably give your sister a dinner to remember. The view from the restaurant is amazing.

I have also stayed at the Magnolia Hotel in downtown Denver. We had a lovely suite. it makes a good base to explore LoDo.

Good luck.
Apr 7th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Wow - great ideas. Thanks!
Apr 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM

If they stay in Boulder, Frasca is supposed to be the best new restaurant in Colorado, but from what I understand, you need to reserve 3-4 weeks ahead. Or show up when they open at 5:00 (5:30?) and sit at the bar. Within 1/2 hour, those seats are taken too.

Sue