Help with California/Las Vegas itinerary

Feb 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Help with California/Las Vegas itinerary

Hi!
My husband and I will be travelling on march to California and surroundings (2 weeks). Our plane arrives to LAX and leaves from San Francisco.
We are planning the following itinerary (by car) and would really appreciate your suggestions:
1. Los Angeles (3 nights)
2. Grand Canyon (2 nights)
3. Las Vegas (2 nights)
4. Some city between LV and Carmel so as to split the drive in two. Suggestions?
5. Carmel (2 nights)
6. San Francisco (3 nights).

What do you think?
Thanks a lot!
Feb 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM

You really have:

1. LA 2 1/2 days
2. Grand Canyon 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 days
3. LV 2 nights
4. 1/2 day of driving
5. Carmel 1 1/2 days
6. SF 2 1/2 days

That's a lot of driving, and not much "being there".

Are you planning to drive up Hwy 1 from Cambria to Carmel??? Perhaps on night 4, stay in Cambria - but day 4 would pretty much be a wasted day until you get to Cambria.

Stu Dudley
Feb 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM

I would skip the Grand Canyon on this trip. That's lots of driving and it will be cold at that elevation in March.

Instead, fly into Vegas and then drive to Death Valley for a night and then continue on to LA. From LA, the drive up the coast to Carmel is beautiful and you can spend the night in Cambria as Stu suggests.

This way you avoid all that boring driving in Arizona to get to the Grand Canyon and you avoid having to drive in the Central Valley of California as well.
Feb 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM

I agree that is a lot of packing and driving. I live in Northern California (about an hour east of San Francisco) and recommend spending time in San Francisco for a few nights as well as the Coast going South on Highway 1. I absolutely love the coast between Carmel and Big Sur. The area around Big Sur is something to see.

Search this Thread