Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! We've been bumped--need a moderately priced hotel in Manhattan 3 or 4 stars--any suggestions?

Search

Help! We've been bumped--need a moderately priced hotel in Manhattan 3 or 4 stars--any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In early September we booked a two night stay at the Beekman Tower Hotel for the first weekend in December with Last Minute Travel. They have just notified us that the Beekman Tower Hotel is overbooked, and we can either have a refund or go to Tribeca Grand Hotel. This is pretty disappointing, since we have theater tickets for a few nights and our activities are not centered in the Tribeca area. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel in the midtown area on this very busy holiday weekend?
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 11:45 AM

I would go to hotels.com immediately and see if there is anything at all available. I've been up on business very recently and had a really tough time finding anything available. Ended up at the Novotel on 54th (I think?) and it was just fine, but $279/night.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:06 PM

We used hotwire.com for a hotel in NYC for this weekend. We ended up with Park Central http://parkcentralny.com for $167 per night. I think we bid for a 3 or 4 star in Midtown Central.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:21 PM

I know you're not happy with the location but the Tribeca Grand is a much nicer hotel than the Beekman Tower. If you can't find something quickly then give it try. Other suggestions: Roger Smith, Mansfield, Hudson, Dylan, Hotel 41, Roger Williams, Warwick.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Are they giving you Tribeca Grand for the same price?
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 01:00 PM

And, you are going to Manhattan, not Alaska. Everything is actually relatively close or a short cab ride away.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Days Inn is $400 that weekend.

You've been nicely upgraded though it will cost a bit in cab fare. Well worth it, enjoy the luxury.

www.tribecagrandhotel.com
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:49 PM

Oh I AGREE you will love the Tribeca Grand. I was by it last weekend and it is a lovely hotel, very well situated, just south of Canal St.

You can get the bus right up 6th Ave to most things you want to see and have a bit of a site seeing tour of the city along the way.

Lots of restaurants in that area. Not far north is SoHO and the Village, and there are tons of restaurants and shops very close to where you are staying at the Grand.

For the same price, GRAAAAAAB it and have a wonderful time while you are here.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 08:16 PM

Yeah, what's up that first Dec. weekend? all the prices are shooting up and it's really hard to find a room. But it was enormously easy to get to use my free United tickets (various promos) for that weekend. So I've got flights but no rooms...so far.

Mommar
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 10:14 PM

Try www.hotel.com for rooms availability. This is the height of the hotel season for the city so rooms are hard to come by and the prices are high.

Also you might try the Grand Union Hotel just off Madison Ave, in the 30's. Recently redone and the price is very good, around $125 a night.

Have fun while you are here.