Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! West Los Angeles restaurant for a birthday celebration that won't break the bank.

Search

Help! West Los Angeles restaurant for a birthday celebration that won't break the bank.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Andrea

Hi,

Taking my boyfriend out for his birthday this week. Want to find a nice, fun, romantic place to take him in Santa Monica/West LA.

Want to spend less than $100. We are not big drinkers-so figure one glass of wine each. We will eat anything.

Any thoughts?
I looked at Typhoon--has anyone tried it? Probably won't eat the bugs but the view would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Sandi

We ate at Spirit last weekend in Santa Monica, and it was great. Bill with tip and some wine was about $85.00. Food is a Pan-asian fusion. Really great.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Maureen

Andrea, I haven't tried Typhoon, but I have heard some great things. My hubby took me to Spirit when it opened last fall and thought the food was great.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Andrea

Thanks! Where is Spirit? I can't find it on the web. Is it the same thing as the World Cafe?

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Alisa

How about Warsawa in Santa Monica--great polish food, not too expensive and romantic.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 10:56 PM
rj

Il Fornaio on Ocean Avenue. Beautiful, delicious, good service, won't break the bank.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Wendy

Haven't been to Typhoon or Spirit...in fact, haven't heard of Spirit. Where is that?

If you like French bistro-style meals, I recommend Moustache Cafe in Westwood. Older clientele (30s-40s) so you won't be running into students. Lovely, romantic ambience with mirrored walls, dim lighting, dark wood interior, etc. Not expensive either ($15-$20 entrees).

Also in that area is Napa Valley Grille. More formal setting (it's in the bottom of an office building) with huge windows. A bit pricier, more open, still very good.

For Japanese, there are a ton of places in West LA off of Sawtelle. The Restaurant 2117 is fantastic for Asian fusion. If you want fun, you can do shabu-shabu (where you cook your own food) and it can be romantic to share food (though not cozy). There's also En Sushi (www.ensushi.com) on Santa Monica Blvd. The food itself is so-so (you'll get better sushi at a restaurant on Sawtelle) but this one has a "hip" factor, a secluded second floor dining area, plus a neat waterfall in the entrance.

Finally, in Santa Monica itself: I've never had a good experience at Il Fornaio. Most of the dishes are mediocre, though the desserts shine. Go to Cafe Bizou instead: good food, very decent prices, cheap corkage too ($2) if you want to bring your own bottle of wine. Has some nice booths.

Otherwise, a tried-and-true is the Lobster off the SM pier. Can be nice and romantic, and if you budget it right, will be less than $100. Good seafood, but you'll want to make reservations in order to get a table near the windows.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 02:04 PM
lagirl

I've been to Typhoon many times. The food is pretty good and interesting (you mentioned the bugs already!). It's a nice atmosphere and it's pretty cool when a plane lands or takes off right outside of the window. I recommend the Pho (soup), but it's a really big order and can fill you up. The main courses are good too.