Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! Wedding in November and still haven't decided on where to stay in Hawaii for Honeymoon? Kauai, Maui and Oahu Islands...

Search

Help! Wedding in November and still haven't decided on where to stay in Hawaii for Honeymoon? Kauai, Maui and Oahu Islands...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My fiance and I are planning to go to Oahu, Maui and Kauai for our two-week honeymoon in November. We don't know which side of the islands we should stay. We'd like to stay on the beach (where we can swim) so we don't want to stay somewhere where the waves get really big and also where it doesn't get a lot of rain in November. We also prefer to stay away from tourist area i.e. Waikiki. Can anyone please advise where we should stay where the water is calm and where we get a lot of sun in Oahu, Maui and Kauai?
Your response is most appreciated...
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 02:30 PM
bonniebroad

davidstella05, in November I would stay in the Poipu area of Kauai, the Wailea area of Maui and maybe on Kailua Beach on Oahu, if you don't want to stay in Waikiki, all on the Southern ends of these islands.

You say, "We also prefer to stay away from tourist area i.e. Waikiki." I personally love Waikiki Beach in off-season as November is, when it's the least-crowded there. There's a lot to enjoy around Honolulu and Waikiki Beach .... You might want to pull up alternative-hawaii.com, and look at all the good stuff on Oahu!

Have a wonderful trip!

Old Sep 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Take a look at Steve R's trip report and his site for photos. After reading it, I know I would make a couple of choices I had not previously considered (Hapuna Prince, Turtle Bay).http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM

OOOPS, almost forgot the most important thing....best wishes on your wedding.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 04:52 PM

On Oahu my choices would be The Manadarin Oriental in Kahala (a few minutes from Waikiki), the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel on Sans Souci Beach, which is a 10 - 15 minute walk to Waikiki central, or The Turtle Bay Hotel. For a honeymoon, my choice would be the Halekulani even though it is right in the thick of things in Waikiki.

Bonnie is right, the water conditions will probably be calmer on the south side of Kaua`i that time of year. Check out the Kiahuna Plantation.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! They're appreciated...

Does anyone know if Kailua usually gets rained down in November? I read somewhere that they do windsurfing lessons there. Thought it would be a fun activity. Has anyone done lessons on Windsurfing or Surfing?
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:55 AM

congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

My husband and I spent 2 weeks in Hawaii last fall at some wonderful romantic resorts.

I recommend on Oahu the Kahala Mandarian (very nice, quiet and close to, but not in Waikiki or the New Otoni which is at the far quiet end of Waikiki.

On Maui we loved and stayed at the Hotel Hana Maui (be still my heart, wow that was so beautiful and romantic) but it is in Hana the very quiet end of Maui. Another good choice would be the Kea Lani. On Kauai the waves quieter on the south shore. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt. Another really beautiful Hawaiin hotel.

I have a trip report and lots of pictures so if you email me at [email protected] I can give you the link.

Kay