Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP w/tour time at Monticello if I depart Reagan a/p at 7am using the below route....Id like to select the 10am tour time but don't know if it'd be safer to take the 11am. Supposedly I need to be at location 30 before tour begins.

Search

HELP w/tour time at Monticello if I depart Reagan a/p at 7am using the below route....Id like to select the 10am tour time but don't know if it'd be safer to take the 11am. Supposedly I need to be at location 30 before tour begins.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car route DC to Monticello: National a/p, get on I-395 connecting w/I-95 South to Fredericksburg (43 miles) and take the "back road" which avoids Richmond. Not much longer mileage-wise, but I think it's spectacular scenery especially in October. Great winding roads. You pass James Madison's Montpelier, the funky town of Orange and lots of horse country. You'll pass a couple wineries and gates to famous people's homes all along the way and even more if you take a side road to Gordonsville. Take VA 3 west off I-95 from Fredericksburg, passing through the Civil War battlefields including the "Wilderness." Take a left on VA 20 just past the Wilderness. Fall weekends often have reenactors on site. Continue through Barboursville & Stony Point. Once you're close to C'ville, you can follow 20 into town but I recommend taking 220 marked to I-64 (turn off 20 just past the McDonalds--I hope it's still there!)West on 64 and in a few exits you're at Monticello. ADDTL Question: Is it reasible to visit Montpelier and wouldn't you skip the Ashlawn and to Montpelier? How soon could I be back on the road heading to DC where I will spend the night? I heard Ashlawn wasnt such a big deal but then heard Montpelier is under restoration...so maybe its not worth the stop. Also any really cool place to have lunch at some point along the way - cost not an issue. Thank you!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

BTW, I am talking Monday, Oct 23rd 2006.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:37 AM

You might make it by 9:30, but why rush. I'd definitely reserve 11:00. Your route is beautiful anytime of year, but fall will be spectacular. Hopefully the leaves won't have fallen yet. Have you thought about eating at Michie Tavern? It's been years, but I thought it was great. They have a web site, michietavern.com
If you go back the same way and have time try Carls Icecream in Fredericksburg. It's the best soft serve you've ever had. Puts Dairy Queen to shame.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:38 AM

It's 120 miles. Half of it non-freeway, and you have to go through a number of towns on 20. Add some minutes getting out of airport and getting up to Monticello, you won't make it at 9:30. Or you'll be so rush that you won't be enjoying the backroads.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Glad I hadn't bkd tour yet. And Michie's Tavern is darling. Ill try. Well do you think even 11am is pushing it? or would 11, with getting to the tour spot by 10:30 be okay? AND ADTL Question: Would it be feasible to visit Montpelier as well and wouldn't you skip the Ashlawn to see Montpelier? How soon could I be back on the road heading to DC where I will spend the night? I heard Ashlawn wasnt such a big deal but then heard Montpelier is under restoration...so maybe its not worth the stop. Thank you!

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I've never reserved a Monticello tour; didn't even know that was an option. We've always just showed up and never had to wait more than 5 minutes for the bus to the house or in line at the house. I can't imagine why they want you there 30 minutes prior, especially on a Monday.

Ashlawn is not grand like Monticello but it was still interesting. Montpelier was too although we were there before the restoration started so I don't know what it's like now. That whole area of Virginia is so beautiful, especially in the Fall. Enjoy!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:35 AM

A recent Washington Post article describes the restoration and current situation at Montpelier

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/
2006/08/11/AR2006081100087.html

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:23 PM

I see you've resolved the timing issue but I will add my $.02 -- you are driving out of DC on a weekday during rush hour and then using backroad. I think "rushing" is an understatement adn that you def. wouldn't make it (esp. if your plane is delayed or you'll need to pick up checked luggage). I think 11 is fine and as daydreamin said, cannot imagine needing to be there 30 min. prior--I arrived more like 10 min prior.

As for leaving to get back up into DC? Again, you will likely be traveling back up during rush hour (if not, you would be staying LATE in C-ville or turning around immediately after getting here) so expect 2.5 to 3 hours min.

Michie Tavern is an experience, and not a dining experience. If you go, it's average "colonial" fare. Fun atmosphere, though.

Can't help you on the Montpelier/Ashlawn thing.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I don't have to catch a plane when I get back to town Monday 10/23 night I was going to try dinner but don't have to...just have accomodations in DC (family home) so I can come back late...Now if I need to avoid traffic what time should I leave from Montpelier (I guess Ill go to Monticello first then Michies Tavern to eat, then Montipeler?
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gargiulo, I'd buy a ticket when you get there. The timed tickets are a new thing at Monticello and are a great idea for better managing crowds on really busy days. But a Monday in October won't be one of those days.

When you arrive at Monticello you walk to a small loading area (buy tickets, get info, use the restroom) before boarding a shuttle bus to go a bit further up the mountain to the actual house. Debark the shuttle, get in line to tour the house. It will be obvious to you after you've visited how, on busy days, a 30 min lead time might be needed. Shouldn't be an issue for you.

Sorry to say I think Michie Tavern is a near abomination when it comes to food. Claims to serve a southern style buffet but it is just glop heaved in a cafeteria line. Buses unload there. Can you tell I'm not a fan?

Wish I could provide a positive suggestion lunchwise. When we take friends (we live in Wmbg a couple of hours away) we either go into Charlottesville for lunch or do a tailgate picnic.

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

obxgirl: I was hoping youd reply as I know I got your good "scenic route" directions. I was beginning to think Im not going to get a ticket in advance...that way I will just enjoy the ride there without stressing about time. Also, I believe you & share common thought on cuisine. I had really wanted to go to Palladio at the winery as that was featured in this month's "Town & Country" but its CLOSED on Monday. I am so bummed. What might you suggest then for eating. I guess my plan will be the following (1) Monticello (2) EAT somewhere ? (3) Montpelier. Should I even bother with Ashlawn? And is there a place to eat between Monticello and Montpelier or someplace in Charlottesville or should. I am wondering how much time I will need for both Monticello and Montpelier? ANd I think Id rather eat a decent place then go to Ashlawn? Or I could snack in between and eat AFTER Montpelier?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:14 AM

If you like pies . . . there's an orchard on the hill behind Monticello--www.cartermountainorchard.com .It's a steep but beautiful road.

Their pies and fresh donuts are wonderful. It's early in apple-season but peaches are in as well as other things. Check the website for more info . . . Why is the website listed twice when I only typed it once?

Valerie
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gargiulo,

All three places are well worth a visit for anyone with an interest in early Amer history. That said, I'd rank them Monticello, Montpelier and Ashlawn. We took some friends to Montpelier this summer and while the restoration limited access, the restoration itself was really interesting.

Realistically for a daytrip, I think seeing two of the houses with an easy/quick lunch in between is very doable. If you get to Monticello in the 10-11 am range, stay for two or three hours, do l-2 hours for lunch and transport time to the next house, you're well into the late afternoon. Well, maybe you could do more. But I'd require lots of caffeine (and no wine at lunch).

Friends have told me Palladio is lovely but I've not been. Have you considered calling them and asking for other suggestions since they will be closed? (goofy, maybe, but I'd do it!) I've eaten at Keswick Hall (upscale hotel/resort) in the area and the food is excellent.

Finally, wish I could take credit for the itinerary but it originates with another poster. I've driven it and agree with him/her. It'll be a pretty drive in the fall.

Wishing you the best weather for a great day.