Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help us find a lovely resort in New England, please.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 03:30 PM
Anne-Marie

We are looking for a lovely resort that welcomes children in Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire. Good food is a must, preferably part of a week-long package. We would like to have as many ammenities as possible and be close to nature as well. Yes, we want it all. Does anyone have any wonderful experiences to share?

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 04:46 PM
Cassie

Lake Placid Lodge (technically not NE, but geographically close) is a very nice upscale lodge. It was once one of the great 'summer camps' (summer estate homes) owned by an aristocrat of yesteryear. Built in the 1880's. In the Adirondacks, on, of course, Lake Placid. Really good food. Very beautiful setting. Many room types including separate multi-bedroom cabins for families (these are not 'rustic' accommodations, though...check their web page. Has pictures of most of the rooms and environs).
In Vermont, chck the Inn at Shelburne Farms. On Lake Champlain, once an old mansion. Again, not rustic, but secluded and in the midst of some impressive natural beauty. Has kind of a petting zoo for kids, if yours are younger.
Also in Vermont, the Hawk Inn and resort at Killington, both in the same area, are good family spots, but I've not seen the rooms at them.
Most of the other places we've stayed are either too snooty for kids, in a city (Kennebunkport has several good places to stay, but I don't consider these as meeting your criterion of 'close to nature'), or lacking in some amenities and or good food.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 04:49 PM
Donna

Smugglers Notch in Vermont or The Balsams in New Hampshire. Both have activities for the kids, so the adults can have some free time to enjoy themselves.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 06:24 AM
ellie

Take a look at the website for the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, ME (www.innbythesea.com). Good food, nice assortment of room/suite/cottage arrangements - fabulous location right on the ocean - great beach and pool.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 07:05 AM
Ann

I second the Balsams in Dixville Notch, NH. It's in the northern part of the state, really not near much else, just nature. The food is one of its most notable features. When I was there the room was large and old fashioned (i.e. no TV!) and very comfortable. I'm sure they've refurbished since then. I haven't been back though, as the prices are way out of my range these days. On the other hand, it's all inclusive, meals, activities, rooms. It's really an example of old style elegance. And they do have children's programs (we're still on their mailing list, so I try to keep up).

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 07:06 AM
Lori

I looked up the Lake Placid Lodge, as I thought it sounded wonderful. Unfortunaltely, children are not welcome there. A quote from their webpage:
"Unfortunately, after May 15th, we cannot accept children under the age of twelve as amenities, activities and dining are not suitable for them. Until then, however, children are allowed to stay at the Lodge but are not permitted in our dining room for dinner if they are under the age of ten."

Apparently, this lodge has gone snooty.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Dee

I don't think they are being snooty. There are some places that children are just not welcome.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 07:26 AM
audrey

I "third" the suggestion of The Balsams, and I second the suggestion of the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth; both are outstanding! Inn by the Sea might be a bit better for kids as its on the ocean and only about 15 minutes to Portland, Maine, which is a wonderful, walkable small city. And you could also visit Portland Head Light.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 08:01 AM
Taylor

Here's a nice irony: the Trapp Family Lodge does not accept children.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 08:33 PM
Cassie

Thanks for the (unfortunate?) update Lori. When we last stayed at the Lake Placid Lodge in Sept '98 there were most definitely families there and I noted not a hint of snootiness. It was a really relaxing place. I guess some unsupervised kids may have ruined things for future families.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 07:22 AM
Carol

We stayed at a great place in NH when my kids were young called Rockhouse Mountain Farm Inn in Eaton Center, NH.
A little rustic but great food and close to nature. Check out the Samoset Resort in Rockport, ME for activities, amenities, packages etc...

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 10:32 AM
Eileen

There is another great place in Lake Placid and children are very welcomed. We spent two weeks there last July and the owners were very accommodating. We had with us four kids (12, 7, 3, and 2). I think that Mirror Lake Inn has a web site. Talk to Lisa who is the owner and who helped us out a lot. There was so much to do and we decided to come back this year in the end of September. It suppose to be a magnificent spot in the fall. This time we will bring only two of our kids.

Old May 1st, 2000, 11:45 AM
Sandra

Anne-Marie,
I stayed at the Basin Harbor Inn on Lake Champlain in Vermont this past Sept. It was after the season, but had delightful little cottages right on the lake and a main lodge for meals. It appeared a little stuffy (jackets required after 6) but according to the brochures it appeared to be welcome to families. Lots of activities around the lake, swimming pool, boating, hiking etc. Also had a golf course.