Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Help us choose our summer vacation destination!
Notices

Help us choose our summer vacation destination!

Jun 27th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Help us choose our summer vacation destination!

Hi everyone! We live just outside Denver and want to take a 4-5 day trip this summer with our three-year-old. This will be a driving vacation and we want to go somewhere we've never been (we've been to Durango, Gunnison, Crested Butte and loved them all). We're looking at Steamboat Springs, CO or Santa Fe, NM. We love hiking, biking, exploring, and being outdoors. Our daughter can do 2-hour hikes and enjoys exploring with us. Which of these two places would you recommend, or does somewhere else come to mind? Thanks for your help!
Jun 27th, 2011, 10:01 PM

Have you been to Moab, Utah? I like Arches NP especially the hike out to Delicate Arch. It is likely to be very hot anyplace you go in the southwest this summer. Carry plenty of water and sunscreen.
You could also come home by way of Mesa Verde NP.
Jun 28th, 2011, 03:39 AM

I'd head for the Santa Fe area and go over to Bandelier. Your three yr old will love crawling into the rock dwellings there. Bandelier is also at high enough elevation to be cooler than some of the west and there is a separate part of it called Tsankawi that has a fun trail to explore . I have a couple of photos of it at www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009/sets in the 2008 set I think.

In any case, check the wild fire situation before you commit.

Search this Thread