Search

Help us choose a hotel in Monterey

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help us choose a hotel in Monterey

Hi everyone,

We are torn between booking 2 different hotels in Monterey. We like the look of both the Spindrift Inn and the Monterey Bay Inn but can't decide between the 2. The location of the Spindrift looks great and the views from the Ocean View rooms look fabulous. However, we like the fact that the Monterey Bay Inn have balconys overlooking the ocean.

They are both similar prices so that doesn't sway us one way or the other. Can anyone recommend either one over the other? Any recommendations for retaurants in Monterey would be appreciated also

Many thanks
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 03:03 PM

Any chance you could add the Monterey Plaza Hotel to your list? It's in the same area, and we've absolutely fallen in love with it!

http://www.montereyplazahotel.com/?g...FRVx5Qod4i-2Bw
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 07:50 PM

The Monterey Bay Inn is a bit more on the modern side and on the quiet side of Cannery Row. The Spindrift has more of the feel of an inn/boutique hotel and is right in the heart of Cannery Row. I like them both. Both are romantic. If you come for a romantic getaway, check out Romantic Room Designs for decorating your room with a romantic flair or a sunset beach bonfire or picnic.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

SusanCS - We really wish we could stretch our budget to include the Monterey Plaza as, like you, we thought it looked absolutely amazing, but alas it is probably a step too far for us (this time!)
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 06:08 AM

ninjabadger - Well, your other choices look great, too, and they're all on that wonderful bay, which is the biggest draw of all!
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 10:10 AM

Any recommendations for retaurants in Monterey would be appreciated also

BISTRO MOULAN (sp): Near the Aquarium. Small, but great food.

FANDANGOS: In Pacific Grove. Well known. Great atmosphere.

PASSIONFISH: One of the best in Pacific Grove. On the corner of Lighthouse...the main street in Pacific Grove.

PEPPERS: Locals hangout in Pacific Grove for Mexican food. Casual. On Forest in Pacific Grove.

I know you asked for Monterey, but Pacific Grove is about 10 minutes away. Everything is close in this area and you will be driving the coast in Pacific Grove anyway as Monterey has very little coastline.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 10:32 AM

traveldawg - are the restaurants you mention open for lunch?
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Bistro Moulin has actually become one of my favorite restaurants in Monterey and is within walking distance of either the hotels you are looking at. It opens at 5 p.m. for dinner only, and it's very wise to get reservations. The food is excellent and the price very very moderate. The owner/chef came over from Casanova in Carmel.

http://www.bistromoulin.com/

I'd highly recommend the others listed by traveldawg, along with Fifi's, another French restaurant oddly located at a small shopping mall in Pacific Grove.

We also like the institutional Sardine Factory up on Wave just down the street from Bistro Moulin, but it has become extraordinarily expensive in the last 10 years.

For lunch -- well, continuing my French theme here, there's a cute little bakery/cafe at the corner of Washington & Bonifacio in downtown Monterey called the Paris Bakery Cafe that serves (along with great bread and pasteries) nice little lunches. They have them both pre-made (if you wanted to do a take away or picnic lunch) and custom made.

Alternatively, it's just a lot of fun taking a walk on the pier at Fisherman's Wharf and grab some clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl or crab or shrimp cocktail from one of the stands. My son's personal favorite clam chowder comes from Gilbert's -- and I'll agree that it seems to have the most flavor.