Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Trying to make the most of first visit to Wyoming

May 5th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Janice

After about 5 changes to our itinerary Here's our latest. Flying into SLC Sept 5 driving up to Canyon Lodge in Yellowstone(anyone know how long a drive) Staying there 5 nights at the Dunraven lodge then 3 nights in Signal Mountain Lodge, then last 3 nights at Big Boulder Lodge in Pinedale. Any hot fishing tips for any of these areas? and what are must sees?

May 5th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Connie

This may be a repeat answer. I think I responded to a similar post before.

Friends who live in the area say the fishing just before you leave the park at the northeast entrance is great. It looks like it is too small to ever catch a fish but he says they haul them out of there.

While you are there, keep on driving till you get to Red Lodge, MT (Beartooth Hwy). Then backtrack to Chief Joseph Hwy. down to Cody and back in through the east entrance. One of the prettiest drives in the U.S.

I think it takes us about 6 hours from SLC to the west entrance. It will take you another 45 -60 minutes to get over to Canyon.

Raft at dusk starting at Moose Junction in GT is a neat thing to do. You see a lot of wildlife that time of day and the guides are very knowledgable.

I've driven through Pinedale a few times but can't even remember what it looked like. Sorry.

May 6th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Ron McCullough

Janice, I do not like to stay on Hi-ways so we took Sr#89 out of SLC to Brigham City.
follow it on thru Logan to BEAR LAKE. (stop in Cresent City on the lake) If the Raspberrys are out get a GREAT Raspberry ice cream cone and a Hot Dog.
Get back on Rt.89 into AFTON,WYO. visit the cheese factory. (there's enough different types of samples to fill up
for lunch.)Go on thru To Alpine Junction, to the right and then into Jackson Hole.
Bubb's Ribs rite next to Wendys a good place to eat. (again?)Then on to Yellowstone Park. Now some neat places to drive. Just outside of Jackson (south Rt.89)go to Teton villages and stop by the "Mangey Moose" for lunch, drink etc. also ski lift there. There is an old dirt road just out side the village to the LEFT that goes thru the woods towards Jenny Lake. (it;s best to do this last part of day because your headed back to Yellowstone. Back to Wilson, Leave Teton Vil. go right then next rite. Before you get to WILSON, (not much there,) take a left on dirt road it goes about 15-20 miles thru the mountains and comes out so of Hobart Junction. (all these names are on the map) Raft rides from Jackson Hole also. Great!! Another day? go south of Moran,WYO (outside of Yellowstone Rt.89)rite close to Airport, little village of KELLY on left,(maybe 3-6 buildings) take something to eat (cooler with drinks, and crackers. our first stop after picking up rental car was Wal Mart to get IGLOO COOLER for trunk then wrap all dirty cloths into it and take home with you) Go thru Kelly follow the GROS VENTRE RIVER dirt road(35-40Miles and beautiful and good fishing you need licence. you can get 15 day pass) The dirt road comes to DEAD END. it is BEAUTIFUL. CONT'd next reply. Ron

May 6th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Ron McCullough

Januce, Another fishing adventure, go south to Alpine Junction Rt.89 just after you cross bridge turn left on another dirt road. It follows the GREYS RIVER about 100 miles to PINEDALE. We used to go only 30-40 miles up river. We walked the river all day. (cold). One last MUST trip. North East Gate at Yellowstone. (looks like Tower Junction) go across Rt.212 towards Red Lodge, Mont. Stop over in COOK CITY. boy what to they do in the winter I don't know. very small a lovely. Big place on right to eat in middle of town. don't know name you won't miss it. Then take a deep breath and set back for the MOST BEAUTIFUL drive in AMERCIA. Thru BARE TOOTH PASS. 10950' We've seen 10 feet of snow there in mid May. but the roads are plowed. After RED LODGE, MONT. work your way down to CODY, WYO. looks like Rt.212/296. See the LARGEST and BEST GUN collections in the world. Remington,Winchester, Colt, etc. Rt. 14/16 back to Yellowstone, (south east entrance)E-mail me if any questions. My wife and I have traveled all over this place. We're not city lookers. There's much more. Thanks, Ron McCullough

May 6th, 2002, 11:57 AM
connie

We drove over to Cooke City from Gardiner this winter. Actually the place was jumping with snowmobilers. What a fabulous drive with all the snow! That's the end of the road that time of year. Beartooth is closed then.

We stopped at the restaurant Ron is talking about because they were advertising home made pie. It was great!

You will love the drive this summer.