Search

Help! Traveling tomorrow from Sunset, SC to Charlottesville

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Traveling tomorrow from Sunset, SC to Charlottesville

Hello all,
Coming back in here for what seems like annual road trip advice! This year, we are making an extra stop in our road trip to spend a night in Charlottesville. We were planning on heading up 77 and stopping over in Fancy Gap (I do realize we could get to Charlottesville in one day, but with two five year olds, we decided to take our time and do an extra night somewhere) and stay at the Grassy Creek Cabooses, but am having second thoughts. It would be fun for the kids, but not sure the extra out of the way would be worth it for a quick overnight. Now looking at Google Maps, it seems like traveling through Charlotte (a nice stop for us) and up 85 to Greensboro might be nice. We'd then stay the night and head up 29 to Charlottesville. Looks like it's a quick three hours, which would leave plenty of time for hanging out there for the day and spending the night. Any advice on this? Either the routes (the Fancy Gap or the second), or the town of Greensboro? Advice appreciated! We're heading out in the morning!
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 11:22 PM

Get an early start....Greensboro has a great Zoo, Aquarium and Science Park all-in-one. Dinosaur gallery, too, perfect for 5-year-olds.
Lots of inexpensive but nice lodging nearby, a Fairfield Inn, a Hampton Inn, The Drury Inn or Hawthorne Suites.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! What do you think about the Biltmore? I like being "in town" so we don't have to get back in the car after driving all day.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 03:13 AM

I can't imagine why one would go to the Greensboro zoo when the NC zoo in Asheboro is so close. And yes, there is much inexpensive lodging in Asheboro.
Asheboro would be about a 3 hour drive so make plans from that point of view. It is a wonderful zoo. Has a good "children's" area.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 03:16 AM

I will add that if you want to spend another day in that area for the parents (if you LOVE pottery), you could spend the day in Sea Grove. There are over a hundred potters of all styles in the area which dates from the 1700s as a seat of pottery making.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both! Heading to Charlottesville the next day, am I correct that it should be a three-hour drive up 29?
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 10:18 AM

Is the Biltmore a motel in Greensboro--otherwise it is in Asheville.