Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! Torn on where to stop Yellowstone -> Glacier NPs with 2 grade school kids

Old Aug 31st, 2020, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Need advice on best place to stop between Yellowstone and Glacier National park. I'm will be in tow with two grade-school aged kids 6 and 7. We are traveling next August. Our trip this year was cancelled, and originally I had us going up the West side of the park, but I could only get a room at Many Glacier Hotel at the beginning of our time up there. I am debating between Butte and Helena. Also wondering if I should just go up the West side so we can stop somewhere with less naturey / historic fun for the kids as a break - e.g., Missoula for the water park. I wanted to stop at the Lewis and Clark Caverns on the way up to Glacier.

Trip is a follows:
Day Activity
8/5 Arrive Hotel Terra Teton Village
8/6 Teton Park / Snake River Float
8/7 Teton Park / Shootout in Jackson
8/8 Drive to Yellowstone / Old Faithful Snow Lodge
8/9 Snow Lodge / Old Faithful / Wildlife Olympics
8/10 Snow Lodge/ Grand Prismatic Spring / whatever we feel like
8/11 Lake Yellowstone Hotel / Cruise
8/12 Mammoth Hotel / Old fashion wagon cookout
8/13 Lewis and Clark Caverns - WHERE TO STAY???
8/14 Many Glacier Hotel / Trail of the Cedars
8/15 Apgar Village / Going to the sun road
8/16 Apgar Village / Water sports / hike
8/17 Apgar Village / Water sports / hike
8/18 Drive to Whitefish: Firebrand hotel
8/19 Fly home
Old Aug 31st, 2020, 11:49 AM

I would probably stay in Helena after Lewis and Clark Caverns. There is a carousel downtown. Stop at Big Dipper on the walking mall for ice cream. Maybe check out Broadwater Hot Springs for a swim. We often pick up pizza at The Bridge and eat it on the upstairs outdoor patio of Blackfoot Brewery. Lucca's is excellent if you want fine Italian dining.

We really like the Firebrand in Whitefish. Definitely recommend Tupelo for dinner.
Old Aug 31st, 2020, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!! Great tips.

Awesome - thank you for this. Always learn something you canít find easily.
Originally Posted by kureiff View Post
I would probably stay in Helena after Lewis and Clark Caverns. There is a carousel downtown. Stop at Big Dipper on the walking mall for ice cream. Maybe check out Broadwater Hot Springs for a swim. We often pick up pizza at The Bridge and eat it on the upstairs outdoor patio of Blackfoot Brewery. Lucca's is excellent if you want fine Italian dining.

We really like the Firebrand in Whitefish. Definitely recommend Tupelo for dinner.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 06:39 AM

Comments:

Isn't Teton Village the ski area way out of the park? It would be nice to stay overlooking the mountains inside the park. A day hike around Jenny Lake is a plus. Frankly I think all of Jackson is a miss, boutique-y and no mtn views, the type of commercial junk I avoid.

The caverns are great, stay either place although Butte is an old mining town.

2 Nights at Many Glacier is far preferable to 1. I feel the east side of Glacier has all the main attractions and is prettier so would transfer time from Apgar, up to you.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 06:48 AM

We do like staying at Teton Village, as it's outside the busy-ness of the city itself and at the "back entrance" to GTNP - Moose Williams Road. It's a ski resort town, so not a happenin' place outside of winter - that may or may not work for you. We like the Alpenhof and its restaurant, although staying there maybe not the top choice for you with the kids.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 11:59 AM

You might want to stop by Garnet:

Garnet Ghost Town | Montana's Best Preserved Ghost Town | Missoula, Montana
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

All good points -

Itís so hard to choose where to stay with our allotted time.

I did change our rez from Teton Village Hotel Terra to a cottage at Jackson Lake Lodge. It originally was a hard decision since I was nervous about getting off the plane and being thrust into nature with the kids - that said, now Iím feeling pretty good about that change. It also simplified the snake river float and we can leave directly from the lodge instead of having to drive.

I also booked a room in Helena at a hotel that had free laundry which will be huge as a half way point stop.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by sludick View Post
We do like staying at Teton Village, as it's outside the busy-ness of the city itself and at the "back entrance" to GTNP - Moose Williams Road. It's a ski resort town, so not a happenin' place outside of winter - that may or may not work for you. We like the Alpenhof and its restaurant, although staying there maybe not the top choice for you with the kids.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 01:26 PM

I bet your kids will love the Caverns. I used to be a tour guide there when I was in college. (Grew up in a small town near the Caverns.) The tour takes two hours and is two miles long with a lot of ups and downs. The formations are beautiful. And I bet they'll like getting to see the bat colony.

When you leave Helena, I would plan on driving to Many Glacier by way of Augusta and Bynum so you can check out the dinosaur exhibits.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Dinosaur stop is a great idea.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by sludick View Post
Originally Posted by kureiff View Post
I bet your kids will love the Caverns. I used to be a tour guide there when I was in college. (Grew up in a small town near the Caverns.) The tour takes two hours and is two miles long with a lot of ups and downs. The formations are beautiful. And I bet they'll like getting to see the bat colony.

When you leave Helena, I would plan on driving to Many Glacier by way of Augusta and Bynum so you can check out the dinosaur exhibits.
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 06:28 PM

If you click on my user name, you will see my trip reports for these places with kiddos in tow- I have one for Yellowstone and then another for a separate trip to Jackson we did a few years later.
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

Checked out the Yellowstone trip report and will look at the other. Super helpful!!

Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
If you click on my user name, you will see my trip reports for these places with kiddos in tow- I have one for Yellowstone and then another for a separate trip to Jackson we did a few years later.