Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help! Someone took my money, cell phone, keys and clothes! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-someone-took-my-money-cell-phone-keys-and-clothes-569833/)

wally34949 Nov 9th, 2005 10:13 AM

Help! Someone took my money, cell phone, keys and clothes!

I recently had a three-day weekend so I thought I would take the 5-hour drive down to Key West. One bar in Key West that I enjoy is called the "Garden of Eden." It is located above the Bull and Whistle bar and being on the balcony of the third floor, there is no ceiling and less smoke. I like that nice ocean breeze. The Garden of Eden is also a clothing-optional bar.

After talking to a few ladies at the bar, I finally took off my clothes and danced with one. They have several bouncers working at the bar so don't think of nudity and sex as the same thing here; just nudity.

When I went back to my seat, I noticed that someone had taken my clothes. I walked around the bar but they never showed up. Around closing time, the bar gave me a towel and I found myself walking back to my hotel two miles down Duval Street at two in the morning. One lady said, "Towel boy, flash me." I wasn't feeling too big at that point and resisted.

The next morning I went through my bag to determine my net worth. It was 50 cents. I called a locksmith (net worth now down to 15 cents) the locksmith suggested that I go to Western Union to get money. I walked to Western Union and they were closed (Sat. and Sun) due to no air-conditioning. I walked to Winn Dixie, and tried calling a friend collect. It didn't work. A sweet lady heard about my problem and gave me $2.00 saying, I think you're gonna need this.
I called a friend back in Stuart, Florida, who called a friend he knew in Key West.

Virginia showed up on her motorcycle in just 30 minutes and said, "How much money do you need." I said the locksmith would need $250. She handed me $300 and gave me a ride back into town. I was hungry and got a bite to eat.

I went back to the "Garden of Eden" that afternoon looking for my clothes and articles. No luck. One couple at the bar bought me a drink. Another couple gave me $50 when they heard about my problems. I had them write their address down and later send them a check for $60. I owed them a drink! I called the locksmith and met him at my car around 4:00 p.m. He took the lock out of the trunk and made a key that actually started the car.

I drove my car to Virginia's business to tell her I was going back home and gave her a big thanks. Virginia had something for me--my clothes; along with my wallet, money, keys, and cell phone. Everything was there.

Someone had taken my clothes from the bar (probably as a big joke) and they were found the next afternoon at a hotel by the pool on the other side of the island. Someone activated my cell phone (I had it turned off to save the battery) and started calling people that I had most recently called. When they called a friend in Stuart, Florida, he gave them Virginia's number and Virginia rode over to the hotel to pick up my shorts.

I drove home. Luckily I had a full tank of gas and barely made it. I wrote Virginia a check for $350 with a thank you card. Have lunch on me.

The dirty trick cost me $360 but it could have been worse. I had cancelled the credit cards and debit cards but people have been known to run up bills on stolen cell phones.

In some ways, this was an interesting experience. There are some really nice people in this world. I consider myself a world traveler and this reinforces the importance of a second credit card in another location and a photocopy of one's passport or driver's license.

Happy travels.

Scarlett Nov 9th, 2005 10:17 AM

I am glad that you were able to get home etc. but as a "world traveler" did you not know better than to strip naked and leave your belongings on a chair in a bar?

So I guess, that is your lesson learned in life,
Don't go naked in the Garden of Eden LOL

elaine Nov 9th, 2005 10:20 AM

Or, find a fig leaf!

ncgrrl Nov 9th, 2005 10:24 AM

Maybe the bar needs a basket for clothers with an attendent, but I don't want to think about where you'd pin the basket key.

cigalechanta Nov 9th, 2005 10:25 AM

Another story in the naked city.
and he didn't have a short fuse.

Armani_Rugpilot Nov 9th, 2005 10:30 AM

I can tell you only such things are happening with the wild people of America. We do not have this problems in my country. I have flown my magic carpet across all political borders and have not been hit in the forehead with my own palm as I have when I am landing in America. In my country, if you do not cover up, you will be sari. If there are naked person running crazy, then they will be dealt with a most severe punishments. At this time, I can only say that you are truly a lucky man to have all your net worths back after that night of crazy things. Storing duplicates in the hotel safes is a good plan if you know that you will be drunk on life and stripping to your naked. What ironic that you lost your key while in Key west. You could not plan that?

Do seek truth in all your travels and you will never be bare, broke, or lockedout.

AR

Scarlett Nov 9th, 2005 10:32 AM

LOL mimi!

<i>this reinforces the importance of a second credit card in another location and a photocopy of one's passport or driver's license. </i>

and keeping ones clothes on.

P_M Nov 9th, 2005 10:36 AM

It appears this type of prank is becoming all to common. Maybe this is what happened to all those naked people sitting in the trees of San Francisco. Wally, if this should happen again, just climb a palm tree and wait for help. Be careful not to hit the coconuts during your climb. That can be very painful.

Scarlett, if he's going to get naked, then just where would he keep that spare credit card?

EEWWWW, don't answer that!! :-[

GoTravel Nov 9th, 2005 10:53 AM

Moral of the story:

Strange things WILL happen when you strip naked in a bar.

Marilyn Nov 9th, 2005 10:55 AM

wally, you sure have more interesting vacations than I do.

GoTravel Nov 9th, 2005 10:59 AM

Well Marilyn just start taking off your clothes in bars and you too can have this sort of excitement in your life!

makai1 Nov 9th, 2005 11:00 AM

<i> &quot;What ironic that you lost your key while in Key west. You could not plan that?&quot;

&quot;Don't go naked in the Garden of Eden LOL&quot; </i>

<b> Darn it </b> , now I have to clean up the coffee I just spit all over my desk! :D Y'all are a HOOT!

offlady Nov 9th, 2005 11:03 AM

At first, I thought this was a practical joke gone bad. Wasn't there a Michael Douglas movie like this (without the nudity)?

FainaAgain Nov 9th, 2005 11:04 AM

The next morning I went through my bag to determine my net worth - so where did you spend the night? East of Eden??

50 cents, I've heard, is a very wealthy man, what's your problem?

Would wearing a money belt help?

Marilyn Nov 9th, 2005 11:10 AM

GoTravel, is that a guarantee?

Faina, you're right! When stripping in a clothing optional bar, always wear your money belt. I read it in Rick Steves.

Scarlett Nov 9th, 2005 11:11 AM

Or wear a &quot;fanny&quot; pack. :D

P_M Nov 9th, 2005 11:12 AM

Was that the Rick Steeves book called &quot;Key West thru the Back Door?&quot; It takes on a slightly different meaning in this context....

Marilyn Nov 9th, 2005 11:14 AM

P_M, you are such a hoot!!

GoTravel Nov 9th, 2005 11:20 AM

Marilyn, I personally guarantee that if you start taking your clothes off in bars and doing shots of tequilla, you will have the time of your life.

JackOneill Nov 9th, 2005 11:52 AM

Wally, you haven't been in San Francisco lately, have you? In a tree?
just asking.