Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help! Seattle 2-day Side Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-seattle-2-day-side-trip-715150/)

atlpeach Jun 22nd, 2007 03:47 AM

Help! Seattle 2-day Side Trip

I have a business trip to Seattle and want to add on a 2-day side trip. I will land in Seattle 10:00 am on Saturday, and business doesn't start until Monday night until Seattle. I was thinking of renting a car and doing the ferry to San Juan Island, and returning to Seattle on Monday. Is this my best bet? I am also tempted by Victoria or Mt. Ranier.

NWWanderer Jun 22nd, 2007 06:43 AM

It really depends on what you want to see/do. The San Juans are a nice choice, or you could go out to Olympic National Park, or Victoria is certainly an option--but it really depends on what you're looking for. If you mean this Saturday and you want to hike, then Mt Rainier may not be the best choice due to trails at the higher elevations not yet being melted out--plus they had extensive damage this winter from storms.

Gardyloo Jun 22nd, 2007 07:35 AM

Right. When is this?

happytrailstoyou Jun 22nd, 2007 09:28 AM

A good use of your short time would be to drive from SeaTac to Port Angeles via Tacoma and the Narrows Bridge.

Spend Saturday visiting the Olympic National Park: Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent, the easy hike from Lake Crescent Lodge to Marymere Falls, etc.

Sunday take the fast ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria. Include Butchart Gardens on your Victoria itinerary.

Spend Sunday night in Port Angeles or in the Victorian town of Port Townsend.

Take the ferry back from Winslow, for great mountain and city views.

boom_boom Jun 22nd, 2007 10:37 AM

I would disagree slightly with happtrailstoyou and skip the drive up from Tacoma. To me, the drive on 101 is very boring. But the rest of the suggestion is right on. From Port Townsend you can also take the ferry over to Whidbey Island.

atlpeach Jun 23rd, 2007 05:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am going in mid-July. I had booked a B&B on San Juan Island,but looking at the Ferry schedule it looks like I will waste the full day on Saturday getting over there.
I land at Sea Tac at 10:00 am, but with the schedule won't get to Friday Harbor until 4:00 pm.

suze Jun 23rd, 2007 06:13 PM

The ferry ride to the San Juan islands could hardly be considered a "waste" imo!! It's part of the whole experience.

NWWanderer Jun 23rd, 2007 06:14 PM

IMO, taking the ferry is part of the whole San Juans experience so I don't think the day would be "wasted" but again, it really depends on what you're looking for. You could always take a float plane in any event.

NWWanderer Jun 23rd, 2007 06:15 PM

LOL, suze, looks like we posted the same thought at the same time!

suze Jun 23rd, 2007 09:08 PM

great minds... ;-)

suze Jun 23rd, 2007 09:11 PM

If you can afford it, the float plane idea is fantastic.

Nothing wrong with Mt. Rainier idea either. It's easy to do, just a 2 hour drive straight down the freeway (save time & leave from the airport as you are already 1/2 hr to the south of Seattle).