help safe clean hotel near verizon ctr

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, taking my daughter to a concert at the verizon ctr n aug, and i need an inexpensive SAFE place to stay some where with in walking distance to the metro.... help! Where 2 girls wont get mugged lol....
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Please share your definition of inexpensive. There are numerous hotels in the immediate vicinity, with the Red Roof Inn and Marriott Courtyard being the least pricey.

Also, the area is very active after Verizon Center events. You could stay elsewhere in the city and take the metro back to the hotel. Cabs are also easy to get after concerts.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM

I recommend both Red Roof and Marriott Courtyard. Safety is generally good in Chinatown/Gallery Place, but with anything in the city be mindful of your surroundings.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Good suggestions but I'm betting both are booked the evening of a big Verizon Center event. Try anyway but try now. Come back for Plan B advice if needed.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Also cheap and safe would be the Hotel Harrington. It's not my favorite, but it would be cheap. There is also a Hampton Inn near the Verizon Center and a Comfort Inn about six blocks away.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM

If I'm understanding correctly, you're not necessarily asking for a hotel near the Verizon Center, per se, but near the metro so that you can reach it easily, right?

Gallery Place (metro stop near the Verizon center) is on the Red, Green, and Yellow lines so there are a fair number of option within an easy train ride. You might consider Silver Spring, MD - there's a Courtyard, Crowne Plaza, and Hilton all within walking distance of the metro. You could also stay around Dupont Circle or Union Station - lots of hotels in those areas. I'm a big fan of the Kimpton line myself, and they're pretty reasonable priced (for Washington!) and all along the red line - check out Hotel George, Topaz Hotel, Monaco Hotel, or Hotel Madera.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:29 AM

Crystal City via the Yellow Line would be better than Silver Spring (Red Line service in that direction is very uneven these days, who knows how long that will contnue?). Lots of hotels within a few blocks of CC Metro -- google "crystal city hotels" for a list of at least a dozen.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 03:46 PM

kkh1969, the other posters are correct that you'll find it plenty safe and convenient to stay anywhere convenient to Metro.

The Gallery Place/Chinatown station has an exit literally next door to the Verizon Center front door. While you can get anywhere on metro, the station is on the Yellow and Red lines -- and kayd's suggestion of Crystal City is a good one, as that's on the Yellow line. The metro there also comes up right amidst many hotels (two Marriotts, Sheraton, etc.).

A good deal in Crystal City is the Americana, which is kind of old-fashioned (more a motel than a hotel), but quite presentable and clean, and much much cheaper than Marriotts, etc. An acquaintance just stayed there and and was pleased with it. It's a (safe) two block walk from an exit of the Crystal City metro station that comes up through the Marriott Crystal Gateway.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM

I'm actually not that keen on Crystal City for this situation. I stayed there last March, and though I certainly didn't feel unsafe (and it was pretty convenient), the area was pretty dead after dinnertime. We were staying at the Hyatt, which is a good ten-minute walk from the metro station; I felt OK walking back at night in a group, but personally would have been skittish about walking by myself or with one other person. Again, not because anything DID happen, but there was just no one else around. It's all up to your comfort level; you seemed to emphasize safety in your original post, so I just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I'd spend a little more to stay somewhere close to the Verizon Center, where there will be people out pretty late.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 10:38 AM

The absolute closest hotel to the Verizon Center, btw, is the Hotel Monaco. It's kitty-corner across the street from the Verizon Center's front door. However, I think it's likely to be out of any "inexpensive" price range, even if rooms are available on the night of the concert. But you never know, & it might be worth checking.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM

I suggested Crystal City because I know of three hotels, two Marriotts and a Sheraton, that are just about on top of the Metro station, and both Marriotts have underground access to Metro.
I agree that the CC Hyatt is not especially Metro-convenient, but other CC hotels are much closer to Metro and completely safe for walking at night, especially after a big Verizon center event when many other concergoers will be using the subway.
For August, expecially later in the month, good values should be available all over the DC area (weather, little convention business, congressional recess, reduced family travel as the new school year approaches). Search sources like quickbook, priceline, etc., as well as the hotels' individual websites.