Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   HELP! Romantic/Luxury Resort recommendations needed for Arizona! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-romantic-luxury-resort-recommendations-needed-for-arizona-230428/)

Leslie Jun 12th, 2002 08:32 AM

HELP! Romantic/Luxury Resort recommendations needed for Arizona!

Hi - need a romantic getaway in Arizona for our 25th anniversary Labor Day weekend. Have free tickets to Phoenix. Never been there. Where should we stay? Sedona, Flagstaff, Phoenix, Tuscon? And what nice resorts are there. We understand the highs will be 90+ degrees. Is this really "dry" heat and tolerable? We're not golfers but like to look at golf courses and swim, fine dining and some picturesque nature plus interesting town would be great! Thanks so much.

gc Jun 12th, 2002 08:40 AM

Last summer, for our DFV (dreaded family vacation...only kidding!), we did it up right and spent 2 weeks in the Southwest.<BR><BR>We stayed for several days at the Hyatt Regency Gainey Ranch in Scottsdale, and it was an excellent resort...we'd go again in a New York minute!<BR><BR>To cool off, we took a river float trip...I forget with whom, but the concierge can fill you in.<BR>

Kameha Jun 12th, 2002 08:46 AM

Greetings from the hot desert. 100 plus degrees is hot no matter how you look at it. The only saving grace ion the desert in summer is that when the sun goes down (or before it comes up) it is usually quite nice. You can enjoy being outdoors at those times. During monsoon season, that's a different story. But that should be over by Labor Day weekend. I live in Tucson and think Tucson is beautiful. There are always debates between Tucsonans and Phoenicians about which city is better. While it is probably true that Phoenix/Scottsdale has better shopping, I still think Tucson is prettier AND about 5 degrees cooler. Loew's Ventana is my favorite resort in Tucson. Up against the mountains with some spectacular vistas of the city and the mountains. It overlooks a beautiful golf course and has great swimming and other activities. Tucson has some fabulous restaurants - Janos, Cafe Poca Cosa, Barrio, Vivace, Wildflower- to name a few. The Sonora Desert Museum is great and opens early to get it in before the blazing heat of the day! A short drive away is an interesting old mining town called Bisbee. You can do a mine tour or just walk around and shop. Great restaurant there called Cafe Roca. And, Bisbee is cooler. Flagstaff will be much cooler and if you want to get out and hike that may be where you want to go. It's also closer, of course, to the Grand Canyon. If you go to the Grand Canyon, I think the North rim is nicer and less crowded, but it takes longer to get there. Sedona is nice, but it, too, will be hot Labor Day weekend. Anyway, hope that helps a little.

Sheri Jun 17th, 2002 01:53 PM

I would recomend the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess or the Four Seasons in Scottsdale for a romantic getaway. It will still be well into the 100s for temps, but the nights are nice.

Melissa Jun 17th, 2002 02:15 PM

I just returned from the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess yesterday after a week there. Great resort, very helpful staff, beautiful room, pools. We also went on a raft float trip and horseback riding that the concierge arranged and both were great!

kam Jun 17th, 2002 04:32 PM

Yeah, but it's a dry heat! Right, so is an oven! Just returned from the Enchantment Resort in Sedona---cooler than Phoenix and just about perfect! Still warm, but tolerable. Great rooms, wonderful service, nice spa and lots of small swimming pools, including one for adults only. Go for it!

Hugh Jun 17th, 2002 04:39 PM

You owe it to yourselves to visit Sedona. Easy drive north, cooler, much more spectacular scenery than southern AZ.<BR>PHX will still be in the 100's on Labor Day.<BR>Best thing is that hotel rates in PHX don't go up until October.<BR>The Boulders has some amazing summer specials. As low as $199/nt. This has historically been the highest rated resort in the area, along with the Phoenician, and winter rates are usually over $500/nt.

barbara Jun 17th, 2002 09:19 PM

Look at the website for the Royal Palms in Phoenix/Scotsdale. It's the most romantic hotel around and they have a wonderful restaurant. Went last May and it was very hot but the hotel was lovely. http://www.royalpalmshotel.com/

Paula Jun 18th, 2002 01:01 PM

I agree with kam--Enchantment was wonderful. Don't know what it will be like that time of year though.

Coco Jun 22nd, 2002 08:18 PM

Leslie, Arizona has many beautiful resorts in both Tucson and Phoenix/Scottsdale. All resorts mentioned here are tops. <BR>If you can break away from PHX, a 2 hr. drive up to Sedona,...stay at the romantic L'Auberge de Sedona. There one can stay in separate beautifully furnished (French country)cottages right along the banks of Oak Creek. Beautiful romantic restaurant also. Their website is: http://www.lauberge.com

Chris Jun 23rd, 2002 05:44 AM

Went to Sedona late August of last year to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Stayed at a B&B, APPLE ORCHARD INN (has website). It was lovely...ate on patio surrounded by quails and hummingbirds. Guide came to inn to offer to show you the magnificent RED ROCK sites (well worth the cost). Went ballooning, Flagstaff, Jerome, many Indian ruins in area. Don't miss the Grand Canyon only a few hours away (although we thought it paled in comparison to the Red Rocks). Don't miss the Chapel built into the mts. It was a wonderful, romantic and an inspirational way to celebrate our anniversery. Our hope is to go back one day. Lots to see and a warm and welcoming area. In fact, my sister is there now due in great part to our photos and comments!

Valerie Jun 24th, 2002 11:42 AM

You should check out The Boulders just outside Scottsdale. Was there in the fall. Very upscale & special. Resort is built into million year old huge boulders, landscaped & very scenic - know this sounds strange but like a luxury Flintstones. Rooms are fabulous, they are individual units set along beautiful paths. Great restaurants & a Golden Door spa. Great pool areas too. Expensive but worth it and think there are still summer deals in September.

David Jun 24th, 2002 12:47 PM

Leslie,<BR><BR>Here's another vote for The Boulders. Go to: http://www.wyndham.com/Luxury/PHXTB/ <BR>and check out the pictures--you'll be instantly hooked!<BR><BR>David<BR>

xxxxxx Jun 24th, 2002 12:55 PM

The Arizona Biltmore designed by Frank Lloyd Wright is spectacular.

Barb Jul 2nd, 2002 11:06 AM

Just back from 6 days in Arizona with my husband. We're from New York so it took us a day to get used to the 110 degree weather! But it really is a "dry" heat! We flew into Phoenix-Sky airport..and off to Carefree we went (30 min drive). We stayed at the Boulders resort (2 nights)-which each room is an individual casita. Truly romantic and simply breathtaking. We had a room on the golf course-which at different times of the day you can see wild hogs, mule-deer, rabbits, coyote, mountain lions...We dined at the Latilla restaurant-which served excellent food...and relaxed at the golden door spa. Then we drove to Sedona and stayed at a creekside cottage at the L'Abuberge resort (2 nights). We had dinner by the creek one evening. It was so romantic and relaxing. The second eveing had dinner at the Enchantment resort (during sunset) Sedona is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited!! We did a pink jeep tour (highly recommend it)...and then drove to the Grand Canyon...the last night we stayed at the Phoenician resort in Scottsdale in a deluxe suite...(off the main hotel)...it again was very nice...it has 5 pools...and LOTS of children. <BR><BR>Enjoy your time in Arizona...I HIGHLY recommend all the resorts I stayed in! We had a fantastic, memorable and romantic vacation!

Suzy Jul 7th, 2002 01:23 PM

We just returned from staying at the Enchantment resort and Hyatt Gainey Ranch. Although we had children with us, I would recommend both for a romantic getaway. The setting of the Enchantment Resort is a breathtaking canyon. There is an adult spa/pool building where children under 16 are not allowed. The Hyatt was a spectaucular resort with 10 pools and lots of romantic lounges. I visited the Phoenician and thought it was too glitzy. We stayed 1 night at the Fairmont Princess and I thought the grounds were too sprawling although it is also a lovely resort. You can't go wrong with many of the hotels that have been recommended.