Search

1 week in Utah

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 week in Utah

The last week of April ’17 we’ll be in Utah. We’ll arrive at Sunday afternoon in SLC and we’ll depart from SLC the next Sunday (late afternoon). We come from Europe so we’ll be tired from the 9 hour flight. We just want to see a glimpse of Utah but we also want to go to Las Vegas (2 nights will be enough). What should be a nice round trip to visit some high lights?
I’m playing around with google maps and I understand that we’ll drive a lot, but we’re used to that since we’ve traveled a lot in the states but never in the west.
Hope someone can help me out with a good route.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 09:00 AM

Since you have sufficient time to plan, I suggest these book. Some are E-books you can download on any computer; others are print which may be a problem in Europe.

Available on Amazon.com
1. All parks in the west - Fodor's > The Complete Guide to the National Parks of the West Utah Parks Driving, Hiking and Mountain Biking < . This book gives a time saving mile-by-mile driving guide.

Available in Kindle About 1,000 pages)

Paper back format (about 750 pages).

5 . Hiking (family): > Wow Utah Canyon Country < –Very well illustrated.

About 440 pages.

VAga
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 09:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you will be tired, take the Trax Green line into the city from SLC airport. http://rideuta.com/Rider-Tools/Sched...704-Green-Line
After you have had a good sleep, rent a car downtown and then head for Moab.
Base in Moab to see Arches and Canyonlands National Parks.
Try to see Monument Valley and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon among other things.
To get back to Las Vegas, you will go over the big new bridge over Hoover Dam (US93). Stop to see the dam and visit the walkway on the bridge.
If you have the time and the weather is good, detour over to Zion and Bryce Canyon on your way back to SLC from Las Vegas.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 11:54 AM

Unless you decide to spend time in Salt Lake City or Las Vegas, you should be able to see Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Zion in a week's time. Maybe Monument Valley as well. They're all wonderful places.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 03:24 PM

Yes, don't miss Moab and Arches. The scenery is outworldly and I suspect there's nothing in Europe that compares.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help so far. I’m still struggling with the route. My first plan was the following: Day 1 arrival SLC - Day 2 SLC - Moab - Day 3 Moab - MV - Day 4 MV - Grand Canyon (village) - Day 5 GC - Las Vegas - Day 6 Las Vegas - Day 7 Las Vegas - Zion - Day 8 Zion - SLC - Day 9 Arrival Europe
The problem with this route is, that there is not so much time for Zion and Bryce (day7) and that on day 8 we’ve tot drive from Zion/Bryce to SLC to catch our long flight to Europe (Departure 06:00 pm day 8)
I think I’ve to make choices but which one? Since we’re traveling with 2 teens (16 yr & 18 yr) we want 2 days in Vegas. We want to see the Grand Canyon and it should be nice to see MV and Horseshoe Bend.
May be you know a better route?
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 03:45 AM

Here is a map with time and distance charts that was posted a while ago by another fodorite that might be helpful in planning your trip.

http://ohiohickstraveltips.weebly.co...-utah-map.html

Arches and Canyonlands are my favorite parks in all of southern Utah, but you really don't have time to do it all and spend two days in Vegas. I am not a fan of Vegas for kids. This is a lot of car time and not much park time.

You need to decide what has the highest priority for your family. Do your kids want to spend most of the time in the car with their nose to a tablet and not seeing the area they're driving through or do they want to spend time in the parks.

If it is not carved in stone that you fly to/from SLC, why not fly to/from Vegas, rent a car and and do a loop to see the sights. This could be done in either direction and the first thing I would do is look for lodging in/near the parks as that tends to fill up way in advance. Pick the direction of your loop based on where you get good lodging choices.

If you must use SLC and want to keep Vegas then you will probably need to cut the wonderful Moab parks. In that case I would probably opt for SLC to Bryce, to Page (for Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe bend) to Grand Canyon south rim (north rim is not likely to be open) then over Hoover Dam to Vegas to Zion to Salt lake City. Since this is a loop you could do it in the opposite direction if lodging choices work better for you.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

@emalloy, thanks for your tips, very helpful. I’m thinking now on the following trip: Day 1 arrival at SLC pickup rental car and do some shopping. Day 2: from SLC to Las Vegas (we’ll be awake early any how so no big deal to make a long day trip). Day 3: Las Vegas. Day 4: LV to Grand Canyon Village. Day 5 GCV to Page (Antelope Canyon). From here it will be a choice: Day 6 from Page to Bryce. Day 7 from Bryce to SLC Day 8: Shopping mall SLC and flight home in late afternoon.
Or Day 6 From Page via Monument Valley to Moab. Day 7 from Moab to SLC. Day 8 same as option 1.
So I’ve to skip things, it is what it is, but with one week you’ve to make choices. I think Utah can keep you busy for weeks/months.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 09:00 AM

In Moab, you'd really want a minimum of two days, a full day each for Arches and (likely) Canyonlands (haven't been to the latter but given what I've seen here and have read, that seems about right). A day each for Bryce and Zion is reasonable, maybe two for Zion depending on how much you want to do. One day is fine for Grand Canyon unless you decide to head all the way down to the Colorado River and back. One day is plenty for Monument Valley.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 05:16 PM

You don't really have time for Moab and Monument Valley on this trip. You should skip SLC and fly into Las Vegas; stay there the first night. Then head over to Zion for 2 nights, 1 night in Bryce, 1 night in Page, 1 night in Grand Canyon South Rim and last night or 2 in Las Vegas. That gives you enough time to see and hike in most of the sites, and you won't waste time driving to SLC. Plus you'll have a few nights to relax in LV at the end.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

The tickets for SLC are already booked for a price that low that it will compensate the long drive to Las Vegas. We’ve had some vacations to the states already and we drove a lot of miles, sometimes on one day. So we’re a little bit used to it. Since we’re flying to and from SLC we’ve to drive a lot, it is what it is. With this in mind we’ve to make a plan that is well balanced with family wishes miles to drive.
I think I’ll visit monument valley and Moab for an other visit.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 12:34 PM

Sounds like a good plan, come back and spend more time in Moab. If you click my name you can find several TRs to the area if you want ideas.
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 04:03 AM

Here is my opinion - less can often be more on a trip like this. I understand the Grand Canyon is a world known attraction and everyone wants to see it. BUT if you have a week, flying in and out of Salt Lake City, and want to spend 2 nights in Las Vegas - I would spend the rest of the time in Bryce and Zion. I would leave the Grand Canyon for another time. Zion can occupy you for quite a while and I usually recommend 3 nights there. 1 night at Bryce is fine if you can arrive early in the day of arrival.

If I am understanding your plan you fly home on day 8. Is that correct?

Day 1: Arrive SLC.
Day 2: Drive to Las Vegas, spend the night.
Day 3: Las Vegas, spend the night.
Day 4: Leave for Zion first thing in the morning. Spend the night: Zion.
Day 5: Zion, spend the night.
Day 6: Drive to Bryce, spend the night.
Day 7: Drive back to SLC and fly home the next day.

You may already know this but hotels in and near the national parks fill up very early. People are often surprised to find how early they are reserved. I strongly recommend staying in the park at Bryce. It is amazing to sleep only a short 2 minute walk from the rim. This allows you to walk to the overlooks for sunrise which is probably the most beautiful time to see the canyon. For Zion, many people like the lodge in the park - and it is set in a wonderful location. However, we prefer to stay in Springdale which is a town immediately outside the entrance to the park. You can find a wide variety of accommodations there as well as several good restaurants.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for my late reply. We’ve been there and a great time! On day 1 we flew from Amsterdam to SLC and stayed there for the night. On day 2 we drove from SLC to LV with a stop in Valley of Fire. Day 3 was for LV only, we did some city walks and relaxing at the pool, in the evening we walked on the strip. At day 4 we drove from SLC to Grand Canyon Village. We stopped at the hoover dam for a quick visit. In the evening we watched the sunset, beautiful. At day 5 we’re a wake very early so we watched the sunrise. This was really beautiful. We drove from Grand Canyon Village to page. This was a beautiful drive with a lot of stops near the rim of the GC. Of course we visit the Horse Shoe bend near page. On day 6 we visit Upper Antelope Canyon, it was busy but so happy that we’ve seen this. After this visit we drove to Moab with a very quick stop at Monument Valley and the mile marker from the movie Forrest Gump. Day 7 we visit Arches park and did the hike to Delicate Arch. In the afternoon we drove to SLC. At day 8 we visit SLC, however it was sunday so almost al shops were closed. In the evening we had our flight back to Amsterdam. (Day 9 was arrival at Amsterdam) It was a quick visit to a beautiful part of the USA. We’ll be back there for sure!
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 05:26 AM

Thanks for reporting back, nice report. Glad this all worked out well for you.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 02:11 PM

chippie777,

Thanks for reporting back. It sounds like a whirlwind trip but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Do be careful, this part of the world is addicting.