Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   HELP! Planning our honeymoon and need info about Marco Island! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-planning-our-honeymoon-and-need-info-about-marco-island-103572/)

Stephanie Feb 1st, 2001 06:15 PM

HELP! Planning our honeymoon and need info about Marco Island!

Fi and I want to split our honeymoon between Orlando/DisneyWorld and a nice location in close proximity to Orlando that will not be filled with Spring Breakers during the first week of April. Fi came across Marco Island on the internet - any information would be sooooo helpful! Thanks:)

Patrick Feb 1st, 2001 07:15 PM

I'm a little confused by your post as Marco Island is just about as far as you can get from Orlando without going to the Keys. Also do you really want to spend you honeymoon with a lot of retirees?. I know you said no Spring Breakers, but Marco is the complete opposite. Also be aware that there is literally nothing to do there but beach or shop for t-shirts. Maybe that's fine, it's up to you.

George Feb 2nd, 2001 06:34 AM

Clearwater Beach is about an hour from Orlando and should not be filled with spring breakers. Most of them tend to flock to Daytona and the Panhandle where they are welcomed and not hassled. A lot of communities have cracked down on students causing problems so they tend to go where it is more lax.

Susan Feb 2nd, 2001 10:30 AM

Stephanie, I think MI wld. be a wonderful place for a honeymoon. We have been there many times & love it! The beach is wonderful for walking & jogging & the sunsets are spectacular. Get a junior <BR>suite @ the Hilton, have your breakfast on the balcony in the morning & drinks <BR>before you head out to Cafe de Marco <BR>(our favorite!) in the evening after the sun has set! You can go up to Naples <BR>for golf & shopping (I didn't see a lot <BR>of T-shirt shops on my last visit!). <BR>If you are keen to go to WDW & don't want to drive to MI you cld. fly <BR>Orlando/Ft. Myers which is a very easy drive ( about 45 min) from MI.

Ginny Feb 2nd, 2001 10:43 AM

While Marco is nice, it is a really long drive from Orlando. Why spend all your honeymoon driving in a car or being on a plane? I think you need to decide if you want to be at Disney or on a beach. You can do a honeymoon at Disney. There are very nice hotels there and honeymoon packages. The only other option would be to stay at Disney for a couple of days and drive to Clearwater Beach or another close beach.

maxine Feb 2nd, 2001 11:38 AM

Disney has a package where you can do either 3 days at WDW and a 4 day cruise on the Disney Boat from Port Canaveral. That might be an option for you. Check out the Disney site for more info. I have heard good things about the Disney ship and they have seperate areas for adults without kids.

jo Feb 10th, 2001 05:14 AM

Just a warning. when we were at Marco 2-3 years ago, there was no sand, particularly in front of the Hilton. It is all shells and allyou heard on the beach was "Ow Ow Ow" as everyone gingerly stepped on the shells. Also at the HIlton you have to reserve and pay for beach chairs and umbrellas. We were there over Easter and while I would have paid anything for a chair and umbrella - the sun was brutal, there were none available by the time we got to the beach at midday on our first day. We got the worst sunburn ever. Marco is pretty, though.

Samantha Feb 10th, 2001 04:49 PM

Jo is absolutely right about having <BR>to pay for chairs/umbrellas @ Hilton. <BR>A lot of resorts have 'concessions' <BR>that rent out chairs & umbrellas & when this trend began I balked @ it but am now resigned to it.( sort of!) However, what bothered us most about the MI Hilton was that at 5 o'clock on the dot!!!! you are unceremoniously turfed out of your chair. <BR>The 'concession guy' comes along just as you are settling in, with your book & drink after a round of golf....you're <BR>looking fwd. to the evening, the sunset, <BR>kicking back...you get the picture... & bye! bye!...."time to go!". We spoke with Hilton management about this as did other guests. But nothing has changed....As for the 'no-beach-all shells' comment we have never experienced this & am curious as to what time of year Jo was there when this happened. We always visit in Oct & May & have been fortunate to have a beautiful <BR>beach! Was it perhaps after a hurricane? <BR> <BR>

Lori Feb 16th, 2001 01:06 PM

Message: My fiancee and I stayed at the Marriott Resort on Marco Island 2 years ago. Yes, it is a very "calm" place to be - not alot to do, nothing particularly great about anything. **But** honestly it was the best vacation we've had in years! The Marriott was fabulous. 3 pools, tiki huts, right on the water, nice views, etc. The beach is extremely nice & it was the definitely the most relaxing vacation we have ever had. We did head into Naples for some shopping, about a 35-minute drive. Snook Inn at Marco is great too, very cheesy-Jimmy-Buffetish but fun! We've actually considered going to Marco Island again. If you just want a nice place to enjoy the weather/ocean and a peaceful stay, it's the place to be. By the way, we're in our late 20's :)

Katie Feb 20th, 2001 11:50 AM

Other postings are right - it's quite a long drive from Orlando to Marco. If you go to MI, there is a public beach called Tiger Tail, which still had lots of sand last March. It costs a few dollars to get in, but it's big and you can hang out all day. I really enjoy eating in Goodland, which is next to MI. The Crabby Lady is my favorite.