Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help Planning a Girlfriends Weekend in Atlanta! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-planning-a-girlfriends-weekend-in-atlanta-578332/)

daydreamin Dec 28th, 2005 01:59 PM

Help Planning a Girlfriends Weekend in Atlanta!

All you Atlantans out there....we're in desperate need of your help, please!

We're old friends meeting in Atlanta for a long overdue weekend of catching up and pampering. Neither of us has ever been to Atlanta so we're just clueless about where to stay & where to eat. We're looking for a luxurious hotel, preferably with a spa on-site or close by...to keep with the pampering priority :-) Our only must-do is a trip to your new aquarium but we don't need to be in that vicinity--the hotel is our priority.

We're also looking for restuarant recommendations, especially those featuring southern food or any regional specialty you can recommend.

Our window is from mid-February to mid-April. We hear Atlanta is spectacular in the spring so we'd love to see it in bloom! Which week end would you recommend?

Thank you all so much for your help! >:D<

tcapp Dec 28th, 2005 03:54 PM

Earlier this year, my husband took me to the JW Marriott in Buckhead. What a spectacular hotel. Very beautiful and upscale, and you go right out the lobby doors and wa la! you are at a private escalator that takes you right inside the Lenox Mall!
MARTA (the public rail line) is within walking distance and can take you right downtown.

Lex1 Dec 29th, 2005 12:44 AM

Ritz Carlton, Buckhead, meets your stated needs. Bring money. Walking distance to high end shopping (Lenox and Phipps) and dining.

Do not stay downtown to be near the Aquarium. It's easy to reach by public transport, and, downtown has a poor nightlife and fewer shopping and dining choices.

For regional dining try the Colonnade Restaurant on Cheshire Bridge, a short ride from Buckhead. Cash only.

Most years early April is peak blooming season.

leahinsc Dec 29th, 2005 03:13 AM

make sure you get reservations for the aquarium - I think you can do this on-line.

Litespeed_Chick Dec 29th, 2005 04:20 AM

I myself am dying to get down to Atlanta to see the new High Museum as well as the acquarium. The High was originally designed by Richard Mier (sp?) and has recently had a huge add on. Currently there is a Wyeth exibit, but I think you'll miss that unless you go in Feb. I understand there is a "hip" new restaurant in the High complex...Table something.

If the Swissotel is still open (i haven't been to Atlanta in a few years), that's another choice near Lenox and Phipps. I would choose to stay at Swissotel, the Ritz or JW Mariott if I wanted proximity to the upscale malls. I'm afraid I don't know that much about spas in Atlanta.

See Chowhound.com for restaurant recs.

I'm looking forward to seeing the replies you get, I hope to head down there soon.

GoTravel Dec 29th, 2005 04:36 AM

Ditto on the RC Buckhead or the JW Marriott Buckhead. Both spitting distance to Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza which is the best shopping in the southeast.

chubby_faye Dec 29th, 2005 04:37 AM

I recommend staying in Buckhead so you are close to shopping and restuarants. There are several spas in the area too - Spa Sydell, Natural Body, etc. Just do a search in google. For southern food, I like Mary Macs or Horseradish Grill. As for the aquaruim, order your tickets online and get there early. I also suggest coming to Atlanta in the spring so the weather will be warm. It should be nice in mid-April.

palmettoprincess Dec 29th, 2005 04:46 AM

The J.W Marriott and Swiss Hotel are both great bets in Buckhead. My personal favorite is Swiss Hotel. I have gotten a weekend rate of $99 there before.

I know it is corny, but my favorite thing to show visitors in Buckhead is the two story Target store across the street from Phipps Plaza. There is an escalator for buggies. There also is a good grocery store where you can stock up on wine.

lisettemac Dec 29th, 2005 05:47 AM

Just thought I'd offer a recommendation for Spa Sydell -- very nice, great services.

fastnbulbous Dec 29th, 2005 06:09 AM

i just went to the new high museum (redesigned by renzo piano) and ate at the table 1280 restaurant within - definitely a nice addition to the atlanta scene, and its nice to finally have some decent food in the museum area...

the museum expansion has been done pretty nicely - at last the high has a good spot for its contemporary art, and the folk art collection has long needed to be expanded - the old building is a bit ghostly now...we flew in and out of the wyeth show, but we're not really fans of his anyway...

the high's been a bit overshadowed due to the aquarium, but its well worth a visit - much improved!

daydreamin Dec 29th, 2005 07:16 AM

Thank you all so much for this great information...I'm going to start checking them all out today!

And if any other favorites come to mind, please let me know! We both love the South & can't wait to see your city (besides your airport which we've both seen a lot)!

GoTravel Dec 29th, 2005 08:58 AM

If you are flying, it is quicker to take MARTA from the airport to Buckhead than to get a cab.

sk84fungirl Dec 29th, 2005 10:24 AM

OK daydreamin, my post is likely to go against the grain of the other posts. The two things that I've picked up in your post to address is long weekend and pampering. While there is a lot to do in Buckhead, I'm not familiar with the spa services in that area. I typically travel out of state for the spa or visit Chateau Elan. If there are several of you, I recommend a car. Not sure where you are coming from, but driving in any city except NYC is cool for me (-: Traffic on the weekends in ATL should not be bad.

Chateau Elan is about one hour north of the airport and approx 30-40 minutes from Buckhead during non-peak traffic hours. The massages are good, but I've not experienced anything like the hot stone pedicure. It is the best thing I've ever had. It includes exfoliation, massage, paraffin dip, etc. Can you tell I truly love it (-:

I typically stay overnight in a regular room. It has a separate deep bath tub and shower. No jacuzzi. All of that is at the spa. I believe the spa also has spa rooms or something of the like. During this time they have rooms for $99 a night King or Double. I signed up to be on their e-mail list and receive regular notices of specials.

Chateau Elan is about 10-minutes from the Mall of Georgia for shopping. Some of the same stores in Lenox. Including a Nordstrom Rack - my favorite!

Enjoy your visit!

daydreamin Jan 5th, 2006 11:10 AM

Thank you all for your recommendations! We were able to get reservations at the Ritz Carlton the last week end in March. The JW Marriot was sold out.

Now working on aquarium reservations then on to spa appointments & dining!

If you think of anything else, please pass it along!

Again, thank you so much.

iceeu2 Jan 5th, 2006 11:44 AM

Hi daydreamin...it's one of the K9's...

If you have a cancellable reservation at the Ritz, you may want to try priceline.com

Last June I got the InterContinental for $65, in August got the Hyatt for $65 and in September got the JWM for $65. They were all great and rated 4 stars by priceline....but I would spend my hard earned $'s on the InterContinental vs. the Ritz if I were paying full price. It was absolutely fabulous and from what I understand is giving the Ritz some good competition.

Buckhead has great shopping and restaurants. You will have fun, no doubt!

Anyway, I missed this post, but check out biddingfortravel.com and you may get the nerve to priceline and save a chunk of change on your rooms and really splurge. At least go to biddingfortravel.com and read the hotel reviews.

I wish I could remember how to make that little green faced guy...When do you leave for Kauai?

((r))i'2

daydreamin Jan 5th, 2006 01:05 PM

Hey i'2!! ((R))

Thank you for this great advice! I've never used priceline but I will give it a try this time & let you know how I do.

We leave for Kauai June 15!! Now that the holidays are over, it's starting to seem real! And Santa brought me snorkling equipment! :-D

Sounds like ya'll had a good time at Myrtle Beach! Loved the pics!

Thanks for the info & I'll be in touch! ((R))