Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   help plan trip to grand canyon etc (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-plan-trip-to-grand-canyon-etc-741827/)

anngmoore Oct 9th, 2007 05:41 PM

help plan trip to grand canyon etc

I am planning a trip to Utah/ Arizona from NYS. Would like to spend 1 day at Gr Canyon ( North or South rim) , 2 days at bryce and one in Zion. Would also like to consider the Arches and Canyonlands. How much time is needed here ? I am not sure of the best routes and how long to allow to travel between the points. Would there be time for Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park? My husband and I would be moderate hikers . I was planning on 10 days. Is this too much to cram in??? Would late May to early June be a good time to travel??

Vttraveler Oct 10th, 2007 04:09 AM

I would strongly recommend more than one day in the Grand Canyon especially if you want to do some hiking.

doug_stallings Oct 10th, 2007 05:08 AM

I just did a whirlwind trip such as yours that included Grand Canyon (N. Rim), Bryce, and Zion. With 10 days, I'd spend at least 1 night in the Gr. Canyon and at least 2 in both Zion and Bryce. With the remaining days, you could see one other park, but I'd also consider spending more time in each place. Just remember that you will have to do a lot of driving on this itinerary. You may also want to consider 1 night in Las Vegas so you don't have to do so much driving on your last day. I think that Monument Valley is possible, but I probably wouldn't do it because of the extra distance, but you could do a detour to drive by the Vermilion Cliffs.

I might not be as ambitious as you, though, but I only spent 1 day at Bryce, 1 day at the North Rim, and 2 at Zion, and I felt I gave all of them very short shrift and spent too much time driving from one place to another. It's at least 2 to 3 hours between each of these parks.

PaulRabe Oct 10th, 2007 06:38 AM

> Would also like to consider
> the Arches and Canyonlands

I'll tell you what nobody else has said -- on a trip to the Canyon, forget these two. As much as I love them, they're just too far away. It's a full day's drive each way from the Canyon.

Two days a Bryce would only be needed if you're planning some hiking below its rim. If that's what you're planning (and I do recommend that), then I instead recommend you do hiking at the Canyon instead. Specifically, a day of hiking down and up the Bright Angel Trail; *IF* you've done proper preparation.

It's about a half day drive between the Canyon and Monument Valley, so you'd have to spend the evening just outside MV, see it in the morning, then drive back in the afternoon. Two full days almost fully taken up by driving.

spirobulldog Oct 11th, 2007 04:48 PM

The parks are different, but they are similar. I would concentrate on just 2 of them. I am not one to just see the parks, I want to experience them. Canyonlands (Island in the sky district is somewhat similar to Grand Canyon),just smaller. Arches is one of my favorite NP. Utah has so much to see, a lot of the state parks are good to see also. I would either do Zion/Bryce or Arches/Canyonlands/four corners area. If you are adventurous, try canyoneering, off roading, rafting, bicycling, flyover in airplane or hot air balloon. Do the awesome hikes. The Narrows, Angels Landing, Navajo/Queens Garden Loop, Delicate Arch. All of these are must's in my opinion. The stars are just incredible at night in utah. Bryce offers special star-gazing. You can see satellites with the naked eye. I would consider rafting canyonlands, or grand canyon. 3 Day trip on either would be something you would never forget.