Help plan a busy trip to SF and So CAl

Aug 16th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Help plan a busy trip to SF and So CAl

I want to fly into Oakland (SFO?) and visit Berkley U, Muir Woods, SF City, maybe Alcatraz or Angel Island (which is more interesting? Is ALcatraz a hokey touristy thing?. Will be with my daughter who is 17yo and bright, urbanites(we live in Manhattan). SHe likes bookstores, museums, funky stuff. After 4 days will fly (probably Oak.-Long Beach/Jetblue) to visit friends and do some touristic stuff. Want to spend a night in Pasedena and visit Norton SImon, Huntington,maybe Forest Lawn Cemetary. Drive over to CLaremont Colleges (maybe fly back from Ontario?) We will have about 8 days in total. Is this too much? Ideas? Comments? THanks!
PS How tough a drive is it from Long Beach to Pasadena and then from Pasadena to Claremont? CLaremont to Long Beach?
Thanks so much!
Aug 16th, 2004, 06:23 AM
ltt

alcatraz is not hokey. very interesting to see the cells and imagine what it was like stuck on the rock and looking out over this fabulous city.
Aug 16th, 2004, 07:01 AM

I can comment somewhat on the southern CA portion-- it's doable, but it will be a full four days. If you're doing Claremont and then returning to Long Beach to catch a flight, you'll have to do it VERY early-- I can't recall what time the last JetBlue flight is out of LGB, but there's a 9:45 PM flight out to JFK on American.

Long Beach to Pasadena is not particularly difficult-- but it's on very well-traveled highways with lots of trucks. Basically, from the airport (LGB), you'll head up the I-405 N to the I-710 north all the way into Pasadena. You should consult Yahoo! Maps (maps.yahoo.com) to get exact driving directions.

Pasadena to Claremont isn't particularly hard either-- I-210 east all the way into Claremont.

Claremont to LGB? Not horrible, but a bit of a haul. I-10 west to I-605 south, follow all the way to I-405 north, Lakewood exit north to Long Beach Airport.

Search this Thread