Need a car in San Diego ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to book a holiday to Las Vegas, San Fransico and San Diego. Trouble is I keep seeing posts about the need for a car in SD. Am I wasting my time going there if I can't drive ? I am tied to a choice of hotels, Catamaran Resort - Humphrey's Half Moon Inn - Dana Inn & Marina. Don't really want to have a lot of hassle getting around the sites, restaurants etc. Should I change my plans ?
Hope someone can help out, thanks
Tony
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Tony, there have been many previous posts on car vs no car in San Diego. It definitely can be done w/o a car but not sure from the places you're "tied to". I think it would be easier from a downtown location. I recently met a friend in SD who stayed at the Catamaran and didn't have a car. He was able to get taxis. If you don't mind the expense, it's doable.

That said, if you just want to hang at the beach there are plenty of places to eat within walking distance of that hotel. So the only issue is the sightseeing. There is a transport system. Here's a URL

http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Infor...es/mapstts.asp

Maybe someone else can tell you about your other hotel choices.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 06:07 AM

agree with mclaurie that your hotels are not the best for doing sd w/out a car.

the catamaran, by far will be the hotel best served by taxis, but you are looking at $25 rides to dowtown and balboa park and over $15 to la jolla and old town.

the catamaran would also by far be the best hotel with amenitites within walking distance and service by public transport.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 06:16 AM

I have to agree the Catamaran would be the best choice without a car. Dana Inn is the worst. It also depends on what your interests are in seeing. The zoo, Balboa Park, and how long you plan to stay. You would have to check to see if the Catamaran Hotel offers transportation to those places. I know most places do in the Old town, or Downtown hotels. There is a trolley that takes you all around and you can get off and on as often as you like. I don't think S.D is ever a waste of time. It is a gorgeous city. Just do some planning and checking before you plan on your choice of hotels.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 08:25 AM

tonys,
Since you "can't drive", you don't have much choice, yes?
A car makes everything much more accessible, but it can be done.
M
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the info. The reason I have to use one of those hotels is due to the package deal we are using. I may still try the catamaran. I would like to see San Diego.
btw mikemo, I do have a choice. "Don't go to San Diego" and try somewhere else !!!
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 06:40 AM

What about looking for a different package Tony??

San Diego is actually one of the few southern Cal. cities where you can manage w/o a car, but staying either downtown or on Coronado would be much better. There's a ferry between Coronado and downtown. Many of the hotels downtown offer transport (some even free) to some of the main attractions like Balboa Park. The airport is close to downtown too.

Finally, while I didn't stay at the Caramaran, my friends who did felt it was very over-priced (they paid around $250/night). The rooms are nothing special (dated) and maid service was poor (sometimes nonexistent). You're really paying for the beach location and the amenities at the hotel. If you're more interested in sightseeing, you'd be better off in another location.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:53 AM
ltt

my parents came to visit me often in san diego and while i worked they got around everywhere by bus. just can't be in a rush. another option if you are in decent shape is renting a bike. sister & brother-in-law got everywhere they wanted to go on the bike trails. you can easily bike to sea world or la jolla from the catamaran. downtown's a little further but doable and then you can take the ferry over to coronado.