Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > HELP Passport "summer"emergency relalated to grand-daughter-Grandmother needs help!!!

HELP Passport "summer"emergency relalated to grand-daughter-Grandmother needs help!!!

Jul 6th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Kelly

HELP Passport "summer"emergency relalated to grand-daughter-Grandmother needs help!!!

My only grandchild's (13) summer plans have just "crashed" She is really upset..
So grandmother is trying to help.
We have talked about going to London "someday" Would like to do it NOW..(of course I mean with in late July or early Aug.).
How do I go about getting her a passport on such short notice???? (this is Sat. or I would start calling the office in San Francisco)
Any help much appreciated...

Jul 6th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Denise

Go to this site. there is a link for getting your passport in a hurry.

http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html

Jul 6th, 2002, 11:48 AM
susan

Another option is to call your Senator's or Representative's office...they deal with stuff like this all the time.

Jul 6th, 2002, 12:03 PM
patg

There is an expedited passport service for about $50 extra. Get forms at your post office - the large ones are equipped to process all paperwork relating to passports. For a 13 year old, you will need the other parent's permission (special form) and her birth certificate, plus pictures - you could get these ASAP after consulting the website.

Jul 6th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Cliff

Senator Kennedy to his asst: "John, what's our agenda look like today?"

asst: "Well, Senator, we have meetings this morning on airport security, the war on terrorism and healthcare for seniors. This afternoon will be the voting on Immigration Control Bill and the Cancer Research Funding Bill.
... oh yeah, and a constituent named Kelly has a "summer emergency". She wants you to get her grand-daughter a passport."

Senator: "Put everything else on hold until I get Kelly's situation taken care of!"

asst: "Right, Senator! Let's roll!"

Jul 6th, 2002, 03:11 PM
no

cliff-it wasn't very funny

Jul 6th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Connie

It is possible to get one quickly but will cost a lot more.

Jul 6th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Debbie

If you want the passport within 24 hours, you must go down to actual passport office(in any major city) and produce airline tickets,etc. to show you are leaving right away.If you can wait a week,go to the local handler(sometimes post office or village hall-call main passport office and ask what is the closest to you). You go and pay the regular price of the passport plus an extra fee for processing it and mailing it to you home in less than 7 days.As someone mentioned above,because she is a minor you must have all proper IDS along with parents consent.
I think that your biggest problem might be the airline tickets along with hotels at this late date. Good luck!

Jul 6th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Anita

Your best bet is this info I found on the State Dept website.

SAN FRANCISCO Passport Agency
95 Hawthorne Street
5th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105-3901
Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays
Automated Appointment Number: (415) 538-2700

NOTE: San Francisco Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel.

Also here is info on getting one for a child under 14. http://travel.state.gov/specialreq.html

Good luck!

Jul 7th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Kelly

THANKS---to everyone (except
Cliff) for great info.
Going to San Francisco Office next week.
Once again Fodorites have come to the rescue!!!!

Jul 7th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Cliff

I can't help but think you would have a better trip if only you could laugh a little - even at yourself. I said it was a joke. Have a pleasant trip.

Jul 7th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Glug

Cliff,

Somehow, nothing Ted Kennedy does, even in an attempted joke, is funny.

You must be from Mass.

Glug

Jul 7th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Cynthia

I actually thought Cliff's post was mildly amusing, simply because it's overkill to contact your Senator/Rep about such a matter off the bat. If you needed to leave tomorrow, or if you'd applied for the passport weeks ago and were running into red tape/couldn't get a response from the passport office, THEN it might be appropriate to get them involved! However, with 3-4 weeks to go, you'll be fine.

I've dealt with the San Francisco passport office and they are very efficient and amenable. I've had my passport renewed there in less than a day, and one of my travelling companions got his first passport in about 5 days, no extra charge. Often, however, it does help to expedite the process if you have tickets booked - which might be a good idea anyway given the insane prices this season! Best of luck with getting the passport & with your trip - you sound like an exceptionally caring & generous grandmother.

Search this Thread