Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help on Winter Rental Gulf Shores, Alabama (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-on-winter-rental-gulf-shores-alabama-911299/)

Luv2travel15 Nov 5th, 2011 08:00 AM

Help on Winter Rental Gulf Shores, Alabama

We are looking for a winter escape from the cold and snow. I have been looking at properties to rent for a month or so in Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head and that area. We have been there many times so thought we'd try a new area. Weather can be iffy in MB area in Jan. also.

I just came across a snowbirds winter rental website for the Gulf Shores and would like to ask anyone that is familiar w/ that area what the temps would be like during Jan. or Feb. We could live w/ temps in 60's or 70's.

A couple of the properties are right on the Gulf of Mexico and look to be not too far from Orange Beach. We have never been to Alabama so not too sure of distances, etc.

I am also wondering what there would be in the way of sightseeing if we decided to go there. My husband is a golfer so I am sure there may be a golf course or two there! We like seeing historical things, musical events, theaters, etc. It looks like we could drive into Florida, but again not familiar w/ anything in that area.

Any other info that might be helpful to us would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

May

Waldo Nov 5th, 2011 08:32 AM

A few years back, my wife and I rented a condo in Panama City Beach, faily close to Gulf Shores. We rented for January, February and March. We did this for three years. We really enjoyed this. There were some days when it was downright cold, but the whole adventure was terrific. That whole area is invaded by Canadians that time of the year. It must feel like summer to them.

Ackislander Nov 5th, 2011 11:30 AM

We and two other young faculty families went to Gulf Shores during college spring break when our children were small. It was the first week in March, and we very nearly froze in the biting wind.

But we were coming from elsewhere in the South. I agree with Waldo that what you feel is dependent on the contrast. Golf, yeas, but I would not expect to get into the Gulf for swimming.

qwovadis Nov 5th, 2011 12:45 PM

Go down there a lot it is awesome white beaches good temps

rarely drops toward freezing with fronts that go into FL

great golf...www.linkedin.com/pub/jane-farrar/2b/534/1a3

Best lady who has given us great values info there in the past

Kiva Dunes may be the best complex for this in the area.

Craft Farms also nice not right on the Gulf though

I like www.villagetannin.com lots of cute little rentals

there in orangebeach.com...

Think golf may be a bit better in gulfshores.com

qwovadis Nov 5th, 2011 12:46 PM

Oct 21, 2011 · ... Winter wk $499-Giant Snowbird Specials -View Kiva Dunes, Fort Morgan, Alabama Vacation Rental ... Kiva Dunes Golf Course) Accommodations: Condo ...

www.vrbo.com/56844

qwovadis Nov 5th, 2011 12:49 PM

Nov 03, 2011 · "Obsession" an Eclectic Romantic Seaside Escape Homes, Village of Tannin, Orange Beach, Alabama Vacation Rental by Owner Listing 233953

www.vrbo.com/233953

My personal fav in orangebeach.com golf abounds there also

qwovadis Nov 5th, 2011 12:57 PM

The Gulf will be warmer than Myrtle Beach

On the Atlantic super chilly LOTS farther north.

So no worries there water will be cool not freezing cold.

I swim in it some it is a bit nippy though and breezy

only in cold fronts headed for FL...ornagebeach.com

terrycove.com last town that goes over to beach to FL

Pensacola about 20 minutes away lots of nice things to do.

Naval Aviation Museum my fav home of Blue Angels.

Luv2travel15 Nov 6th, 2011 11:02 AM

quovadis, thanks so much for all that great info! I spent yesterday afternoon searching for rentals and the more I looked at the more confused I got! It's hard picking out rentals because you don't know the areas.

I am still on the fence about the weather. We could live w/ high 50's/60's but I know there is no guarantee! I will look at those rentals you gave me. It certainly looks like it would be an area that had lots to do. We may have to think further south into Florida but not in love w/ FL.

My thanks for your help.

cd Nov 6th, 2011 12:11 PM

Jan will probably find you in the 50's. Gulf Shores is not my favorite, but only have driven thru so that may not be a fair statement. We spend 2months at Cape San Blas in Florida about an hour south of Panama City and do love it. It is very laid back with miles of white beaches to walk and very little population. No high-rises, great oysters in Port St Joe, Indian Pass and Appalachicola. There is a golf course in Port St Joe , but again the past 3yrs we've been there, Jan finds temps usually in the 50's. If interested try VRBO.com If you want something warmer, I would go to the Ft Myers area. We are from Ohio so 50's and sunny is sooooooo much better than the ice and snow!

Luv2travel15 Nov 10th, 2011 06:53 AM

cd, thanks for your suggestion about Cape San Blas. Maybe further south might be a better option, although I know weather is not guaranteed no matter where you go. I would like to check that area out also.

Can you give me a better idea of the exact location you rent in and possibly some rental info (agents, etc.) that I may contact. My DH would be interested in golf courses. I will check out vrbo also.

We have been to Ft. Myers and didn't love that area, would go to Naples if we wanted that far south. We thought we'd try a new destination this year.

Yes, I agree 50's and sunny w/ no ice or snow would be heaven to us!

Thanks again.

May

cd Nov 10th, 2011 07:57 AM

I reread your initial post and your reply above and I think you might not like the Cape or that area. I say that because you mention liking Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head and Naples. These are all very populated areas with upscale golf course's and lots to do. The Cape is just the opposite...very laid back with not much to do except walk the beach, sit in the hot tub (if you rent a house that has one) read and have drinks on the front porch watching the waves. The golf course is only a par 4 and DH gives it a C. I do think you're looking for something more upscale. We do love this area but then we love the oysters (best ever) and wearing jeans and sweatshirts and just smelling the ocean air and listening to the waves. We always rent the same house and it's VRBO.com

Luv2travel15 Nov 10th, 2011 08:16 AM

Thanks cd for your honesty! It would probably not be what we are looking for, not that kicking back is bad, having drinks on the front porch is great (lol), oysters (not in love w/ them, but lobster, seafood, yeh).

Golf course would not be what my DH would be used to, he does like a more challenging course, he played MB for 25+ yrs. w/ a bunch of golfer buddies. I do love walking the beach, sitting and looking at the ocean, etc. but also need to do other things or I get antsy! So I will continue my search. We will see what develops. Thanks again. May

tomms Nov 10th, 2011 09:14 AM

Just throwing in my cents -

Gulf Shores is a OK area. The weather can vary. We have gone several times for New Years. One year it was fairly cold (for us southerners) - 50's. Other years it was in the 70's and kids were swimming in the ocean.

Several condos have indoor pools, if that is a bonus to you.

As far as things to do in the Gulf Shores area - there is a large outlet mall in Foley (15 miles north). Pensacola and the Naval Air Museum are about an hour away.

If you would like a nicer area, I would suggest Destin FL. It is 90 min east of Gulf Shores. It is a bit more upscale than Gulf Shores.

I have rented from VRBO at both Gulf Shores and Destin with no problems.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Luv2travel15 Nov 11th, 2011 05:26 AM

thanks a bunch, tomms! I am also going to check out Destin area and see what that offers, it may be more suited to what we are looking for.

Can you tell me what there is to do in Destin area other than shopping? Any theaters, live shows, etc., we like that sort of thing. Golf for sure for my DH. I'm sure that is not a problem finding golf courses.

Thanks so much everyone. It has helped me to focus on the different areas and see what each one offers. I will keep you all posted.

May

cd Nov 11th, 2011 06:05 AM

May, I would recommend Longboat Key/
Siesta Key/Sarasota. It just sounds like you. :-) It has warmth, Golf, theater....Check it out. We have been there on a day trip but have not stayed so cannot recommend lodging. The beach at Siesta Key is beautiful and Sarasota is very upscale with lots to do.

ankhboy Nov 17th, 2011 09:02 PM

Maybe you could consider Fairhope, AL. It's on the gulf Coast, sort of a little artist colony feel to it. Started in 1890 as a utopian community with a land tax philosophy. Wikipedia has a nice article on it. I went to an art festival there years ago, it has a nice vibe. Close to Gulf shores and Pensacola.