Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help on where to stay in PA within 1-2 hours of Newark, NJ Airport?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-on-where-to-stay-in-pa-within-1-2-hours-of-newark-nj-airport-889832/)

sazcc May 8th, 2011 07:14 AM

Help on where to stay in PA within 1-2 hours of Newark, NJ Airport??

Hi everyone, we are a couple in our late 20's who will be driving the loong drive from New Philadelphia,Ohio to Newark on 12th July this year. Our flight home to N. Ireland is on 13th July, but its not until 9pm.

Another thread suggested somewhere in PA or Delaware might be nice to stay the night and spend the next day before driving onto the airport at Newark?

I guess i was hoping people could maybe expand on that and shout out some areas in and around the PA/ delaware area that wouldnt be too much hasle or take too long to get to Newark, but also have nice places to eat and see for the day? We arent oo fussy, we are intersested in alot of things....

Also any suggestions for places of interest/ eateriers in the PA area that will be on our route from Ohio would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Gwendolynn May 8th, 2011 09:23 AM

Check out the New Hope, PA area. It's about 60 miles from Newark so the drive wouldn't be difficult in normal conditions.

SusieQQ May 8th, 2011 10:10 AM

If you click on your name the other threads you posted on this subject will appear.

nytraveler May 8th, 2011 10:39 AM

Un, Delaware isn't between PA and NJ - it;s in a completely different direction.

Sorry can;t help with ideas in PA unless you want ot go to Philly - but that's south - not west in PA.

tomfuller May 8th, 2011 11:34 AM

Are you traveling I-80 or I-76 PA Turnpike?
Bloomsburg is a nice college town along I-80 with McGee Carpet factory. If you want to be closer to Newark, Check out Stroudsburg along the Delaware River which is the eastern boundary of Pennsylvania.

sazcc May 8th, 2011 12:26 PM

nytraveler- yeh i realise that now, again, understand that im in northern ireland and usa is another world, but thanks for pointing it out however. I had considered Philly but wasnt sure if it was maybe going to be too much of a detour?

Tomfuller, i am unsure as to what route we will be on from Ohio but ill have a look at Stroudsburg, thanks

emalloy May 8th, 2011 01:14 PM

The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is just east of Stroudsburgh, PA (which is about an hour and a half from Newark). If you drive north of I-80 on route 209, you go through some commercial area then into the Recreation Area. There are several waterfalls that you can visit, don't go to the one you have to pay to get into, the others are run by the park service and are free. There are paths through the woods to get to them and it is quite pretty. We've seen deer and wild turkeys along the route several times.

doug_stallings May 8th, 2011 02:34 PM

This is a little frustrating. You seem to have three threads and a lot of helpful people giving basically the same advice.

lincasanova May 8th, 2011 03:38 PM

Click on your name to bring up your threads so you do not need to repost.

sazcc May 9th, 2011 02:34 AM

Doug_Stallings and lincasanova- sorry if i am irritating you, i had not realised this. I had thought that each state was if you like a separate forum and that there were helpful posters simply for each state..that is why you scan to the state you wish to talk about. It is not very clear for newcomers. my apologies.

lincasanova May 9th, 2011 02:14 PM

PLease do not think you are/were IRRITATING me.. I was just trying to help you find your posts which I thought was the reason for the double posting. No problem.