Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help on intenary (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-on-intenary-420230/)

nancy11 Apr 8th, 2004 06:47 AM

Help on intenary

I have thought of 3 different intenaries for our full 4 days in Alaska after our cruise. The starting point is Seward and we are leaving from Anchorage on a midnight fligt. We will have a rental car. Could you please help me out with any suggestions and which one you think is going to be the best?

Intenary 1:

Friday: Arrival at Seward at 9 in the morning. Kenai Fijors Cruise and overnight at Seward.
Saturday: Seward to Homer. Explore on our way there and stay overnight.
Sunday: Seeing more of Homer area in the morning and then drive to Anchorage for overnight stay.
Monday: Drive from Anchorage to Talkeetna. Take a helicopter ride to Denali and maybe if we are like see the "Big One". Drive back to Anchorage for our midnight flight.

Intenary 2:

Friday: Drive from Seward to Anchorage for overnight stay. Enjoy the drive by stopping.
Saturday: Drive Anchorage to Denali National Park stay overight.
Sunday: Take bus tour in Denali. Stay overnight.
Monday: Late start and drive from Denali to Anchorage for our midnight flight.

Intenary 3:
Friday: Arrival at Seward at 9 in the morning. Kenai Fijors Cruise and overnight at Seward.
Saturday: Drive Seward to Denali National Park stay overight.
Sunday: Take bus tour in Denali. Stay overnight.
Monday: Late start and drive from Denali to Anchorage for our midnight flight.

Any hotel suggestions for Seward, Homer, Anchorage and Denali will be welcome.

Please let me know what you think is the best.

Thank you

BudgetQueen Apr 9th, 2004 09:29 PM

With only 4 days- it is too much time in transit to get to Denali park especially not being able to spend a lot of time along the way. I think #1 is the best and allows times for stops and sights along the way. Plan on a return trip with more days for Denali Park. When is this trip??

nancy11 Apr 12th, 2004 06:19 AM

Thanks everybody for the advice. Just one more question. Since we will be on a cruise for a week, is it more worthy and balanced to go Denali? What do you think?

BudgetQueen Apr 12th, 2004 08:43 PM

You are asking questions that only you can answer. :) Make a list of what you wish to see and do in Alaska- and go from there? You don't have a lot of time to do Denali and see all the sights along the way. A toss up certainly. :)

AlaskaSwed Apr 13th, 2004 10:19 PM

Try this on for size:

Day 1 - Slow scenic Drive to Anchorage, continue to Mat-su valley. (Total drive time 4 hrs) Stop at Big Game Alaska to see wildlife. Stop at Portage Glacier for salmon spawning and glacier views. Stop at Eklutna Village for native culture. Overnite Wasilla.
Day 2 - Rafting the Lions Head at Chickaloon or choose airboat to Knik glacier and Lake George. Overnite Wasilla.
Day 3 - Drive to Talkeetna. Flightseeing to Mt. McKinley. Or choose a Riverboat adventure. Overnite Talkeetna.
Day 4 - Stay in Talkeetna for the day - consider hosrseback riding or take a scenic drive over Hatcher's Pass, Independence Mine back to Anchorage for you flight home at midnight.

This itinerary gives you many adventures with only having to drive from Anchorage to Talkeetna (just 2.5 hrs). You do lots, see the best scenery in the state and do not feel as though you have missed out on anything.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.