Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help on hotel for 1-night in Monterey/Big Sur/Carmel

Dec 16th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I would like to try to spend one night (a sat in ealy Jan) in the Monterey / Big Sur / Carmel area. We're from NYC so I'd like to lean towards nature (and good food/wine) over shopping and nightlife. Also, it will be our last weekend together for 9 months so we'd like to stay somewhere special.

I looked into the Post Ranch Inn and Ventana but both have at least a 2-night minimum (3-night if it includes a weekend). We'll be in SF the night before and will need to be near Palm Springs late the following night so we don't have a lot of flexibility on dates. If anyone has stayed in the area on a sat night (for only one night) and has suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM

You may want to contact Ventana and Post Ranch directly regarding a single-night stay. I understand that in low season, as early January would be, and assuming there is availability, at least Post Ranch would allow a one-night stay. Just call them.

Anna
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM

When it comes to weekends, there really isn't much of an offseason on the coast. Any really nice place will require a 2-night stay unless there are last minute cancellations. What is the rest of your itinerary like? Is it possible to re-arrange things so you either 1) hit the coast on a weekday, or 2) can manage 2 nights?
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:46 PM

I just realized you are the same OP as on the thread about staying between Santa Barbara and PS on Christmas Eve.

So are you going from SB to Palm Springs and then back up to Monterey? Maybe if you give us your full itinerary we can give you some suggestions.
Dec 17th, 2007, 09:31 AM

The Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley is delightful, acreage surrounded by flora and vineyards - with Marinus, a top restaurant.
Dec 17th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

anna_roz, thanks for the tip on calling direct. I'll try that tonight / tomorrow. cabovacation, thanks for the recommendation on Bernardus Lodge. I'll check the website now.

janisj, our itinerary is pretty fixed (unfortunately) - we're flying into SF Friday and need to be in 29 Palms at 5AM on Monday morning. The plan was to stay Friday in SF, Sat en route (Big Sur?), and Sunday in 29 Palms or Palm Springs. Though it's not ideal, we planned to start late morning Sun and drive straight through to Palm Springs (hopefully in 8-9hrs). We've done a lot of driving trips around the US / Europe and don't mind being in the car but wouldn't mind staying further south instead. This will be our second trip to the CA coast (first trip will be to Santa Barbara over Christmas) so any advice on a good stopping point with good views / nature / food would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Wow, the Bernardus Lodge looks incredible! Do you think the inland weather will be better than the coast in early Jan? Should we skip the splurge on an ocean view room in case there is a lot of fog? Thanks again in advance for your help.
Dec 18th, 2007, 03:38 PM

In January, it is hard to say. If a storm comes in, it will hit the coast first and may lessen in strength as it travels over land. Fog isn't really an issue in the wintertime - it is more of a summertime phenonenon. Cloud cover is what limits visibility in the winter, which will likely be similar on the coast as inland.
Dec 18th, 2007, 04:28 PM

You might also want to look into the Highlands Inn or the Tickle Pink Inn...they are next to each other in Carmel Highlands and have great views.
Dec 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Check out www.pacificgrove.org. It will list all the hotels in Pacific Grove. Most of the coastline on the Monterey Peninsula is in Pacific Grove.

Two great spots: SEVEN GABLES INN and GREEN GABLES INN. Both have ocean views.

Another hotel is the MONTEREY PLAZA. Also ocean views and this is a hotel, versus Bed and Breakfast for the first two.

We live in this area. Definitely check out Pacific Grove!