Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help NYC hotel 12/3 sold out (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-nyc-hotel-12-3-sold-out-555848/)

kathrynj Sep 1st, 2005 11:57 AM

Help NYC hotel 12/3 sold out

Would appreciate any suggestions for preferably Midtown located hotels that might be available or B&B's. Apparently the shoe show is that weekend and rates are absurd for any rooms that are left. I have theatre tickets so have to go then. Any thoughts? Thanks--

mclaurie Sep 1st, 2005 12:30 PM

Don't know where you've tried. Would you consider staying all the way downtown in the financial district? The Millenium Hilton, Ritz Carlton Battery Park, Embassy Suites often have good weekend rates. You could also try staying across the Hudson in Weekhawken. The Sheraton Suites has ferry service to midtown.

Assuming the shoe show is at the Javits Center, locations away from the theater district are more likely to be available. Also, it's hard to get just a one night Sat. room. That means the hotel may not be able to rent it for Fri.

Jean_Valjean Sep 1st, 2005 12:30 PM

Try Expedia. Right now, there's this hotel called Pickwick Arms at $106. It gets fairly positive reviews from Tripadvisor... The hotel is on 230 East 51st. I've never stayed there, but the address looks perfect...

I do suggest that you act quickly. The alternatives were $400+ in most other hotels.

abram Sep 1st, 2005 01:57 PM

We've stayed at the Pickwick Arms. It was a nice enough hotel, but the location wasn't great for us since we go to NYC for a theater packed weekend, and prefer to stay on the west side.

Have you thought about trying Priceline?

kathrynj Sep 1st, 2005 03:43 PM

Thanks for ideas---looked at Pickwick Arms and no bath in room and hate to admit I'd like that at this point! Anyone know about Arlington Hotel as they did have space and I booked there to at least have some place!

nytraveler Sep 1st, 2005 04:25 PM

December is always a bear. And not sure what you mean by rates that aren't absurd. I think you should expand you search to all of Manhattan - you might have a better choice and the subway can get you anywhere fairly quickly - a better choice than a $700 room.

kathrynj Sep 1st, 2005 05:15 PM

Will try Priceline on a regular basis, fyi I think anything over $425 without tax is absurd in New York for a 3 star hotel........

wantsomesun Sep 1st, 2005 05:40 PM

www.hotels.com

djkbooks Sep 1st, 2005 06:05 PM

If most hotels are sold out, particularly the major chains, you'll not likely have any luck with Priceline, especially for a one-night stay on a Saturday night.

Recommend shopping like the dickens and booking something forthwith, that you can cancel if you intend to keep trying Priceline.

Jean_Valjean Sep 2nd, 2005 05:19 AM

You could try either other boroughs, or maybe something outside of the city. For instance, White Plains is only 35 minutes from Grand Central on Metro North...

kathrynj Sep 2nd, 2005 06:24 AM

Great news--I came across a brand new Holiday Inn Express 13 West 45th with rooms at $299 inlcuding breakfast, no taxes included. Not really listed anywhere so I called and that's when I was told it was new. Given what was going on with room rates in Manhattan, it's a huge bargain with a great location! Thanks all for your suggestions.

razzledazzle Sep 2nd, 2005 12:45 PM

ttt & good example of a travel thread...

swalter518 Sep 2nd, 2005 12:49 PM

May want to also check the Inn on 23rd in Chelsea. Great b&b just south of midtown. www.innon23rd.com

kathrynj Sep 2nd, 2005 04:32 PM

Have stayed at Inn on 23rd before and it's a great place but was booked completely---may even have had a 4 night minimum for that period.....the location of the Holiday Inn Express on 45th is perfect for the shows I'll be seeing (Woman in White and Jersey Boys).