Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help needed with itinerary for Alaska - Denali, Girdwood, Seward, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a cruise from Seward on August 10 and struggling with land portion pre-cruise. We arrive in Anchorage on August 5, and are planning to rent a car for 5 days. Planning to do a flightseeing out of Talkeetna, head to Denali for two nights. Drive to MICA guides past Glenallen on 08/08, do hike on Matansuka and spend night in Anchorage. On 08/09, go to Girdwood, do Godwin's dog sled tour on snow, and be in Seward for 3 pm Kenai Fjords trip. No activities planned for 10th.

Is that too much? If I can leave out Denali, it will cut down driving time significantly, but is that advisable? I know that ultimately it depends on what we would like to do, but everybody wants to do different things - kids (17 &13) absolutely want to do the glacier hike, husband is ditto for dog sledding, and me on Kenai Fjords. Am trying to use Toursaver coupons, but these come with restrictions, eg, Kenai Fjords trip can only be done at 3 pm etc. Don't want my family to disown me at the end of the trip! Any help is appreciated.

Old May 28th, 2007, 03:53 PM

We did much of what you intend to do on your trip, but it took us 13 days. The drive to Denali is long as is the drive to Genallen and the roads are not fast. For the time you have, I'd suggest dropping the 2 nights in Denali (I hate to suggest that)but restrict yourself the the flightseeing from Talkeetna, and to only go as far as the Matanuska glacier on the Glenn highway. If you feel you have missed too much, plan another trip. You'll feel really rushed with what you want to do and the time you have available.
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM

I, too would drop 2 nights in Denali.
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. When I started planning this trip, Denali and the flightseeing to Mt. McKinley were must-do's on the list. But as I read and trawled these message boards, there was so much more each one of us wanted to do. So difficult to choose. Of course, we could do it all if we flew into Fairbanks rather than Anchorage, but the tickets were booked in March, and I had not considered that option at all then. If I had a free rein, I would drop the cruise...Another trip maybe...Thanks again.
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:15 AM

If you are going to Denali, get the book, "Discovering Denali". If has bunch info and things to do in and around Denali National Park. If driving, get a copy of the Milepost and remember to fill up before you return your rental.
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Flying into Fbx wouldn't really help all that much. Don't worry about backtracking, it's not that big of a deal,

Is MICA past Glenallen? I thought they centered on the Matanuska ...

It's not clear if you arrive in ANC in the a.m. or p.m. Assuming you're getting in late on the 5th, then here's what you do:

Aug. 6 -- Do flightseeing in the a.m./early afternoon and drive to Denali.

Aug. 7 -- Shuttle bus in park but drive in the evening to Palmer

Aug. 8 -- Up early and out to MICA, night in ANC.

Aug. 9 -- Girdwood/Seward

Aug. 10 -- Visit Exit Glacier before cruise if schedule allows.

It's tight and a little crazy but it addresses the wide-ranging desires. It all depends on your tolerance for pace. If you don't mind the drives (which are scenic and easy but can be a bit long) then you can squeeze it all in.

The the other hand, if you think you'll be returning to AK soon, then either drop Denali or MICA.

Old May 29th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Posted elsewhere-

You have some problems with routing??

For MICA you won't be going "past Glenallen", It is before that point on the Glenn Highway. I do NOT recommend you do the drive north from Denali Park, Fairbanks and down the Richardson, if that is what you are planning??? You definately do not have enough time. Frankly you probably don't have enough time as it is?? Are you planning our overnight at Denali park, 8-7?? It is at least a 5 hour drive Denali park to Matansuka. Add 4 hours of trekking, I DO NOT recommend any shorter trekking, otherwise you are barely off the black ice and no way get far enough in. Add 2 hour drive to Anchorage.

At the begining, are you planning on being at Denali Park that day- what time do you arrive.

Godwin's runs glacier dog sledding out of Seward.

I would put EVERYTHING back a day and do your Kenai Fjords boat trip your day of the cruise, you have nothing planned and would make far better use of your time. The 11:30am trips would work perfectly and you have time for the best - Northwestern Fjord trip if of interest?

Overall, if you post your timing and itinerary, people will be better able to help you.
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses once again. I have taken both repete and budget queen's suggestions, and modified the itinerary a bit -
August 5 - arrive in ANC at 2:30 pm. Drive to Talkeetna.
August 6 - Flightseeing, drive to Denali.
August 7 - in Denali. Drive to Talkeetna - my family will probably have most issues with this. Palmer will be a no-no - drive would be about 6 hours? They would want to just relax after a long day inside the park. And I will have to take a family vote on this one.
August 8 - MICA's ice fall trek at 2 pm. We are doing the 3 hour trek. Treks are 1.5 or 3 hours. Hope the 3 hour is the one you meant, budget queen. Drive to ANC.
August 9 - Godwin's dog sledding. Drive to Seward. Maybe Exit glacier.
August 10 - Kenai Fjords trip. Start cruise.
Not planning to do the Northwestern tour as it might be too long for my mother-in-law.
And leaving out Denali - you think that's a bad idea?
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:19 PM

It is a 3 1/2 drive to Talkeetna from Denali Park, with doing this, I would only go as far as Fish Creek via shuttle bus. Then you should not have any family objections. From Talkeetna to MICA tour is 3 hours, they have shortened their tour by an hour, used to be 4 and since I had a private guide for 2 of us, we were out close to 5 hours. 3 isn't going to be a lot of time. Did you also look at NOVA??

Again for clairfication Godwin's is in Seward.
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, budget queen. Yes, finally discovered yesterday that Godwin's in Seward, which makes things easier for us, as we can do dog sledding on 10th and the Kenai fjords at 3 pm on 9th.
Just looked at NOVA per your suggestion, and they do 4 hours with 2.5 hours on the glacier. All these months of research (on and off), their name never popped up anywhere. Can you please tell me a bit more about them? They have a lot of water rafting, and only one tour for hiking on glacier.
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:47 AM

NOVA has been doing the glacier trek for years and is a well run company to consider.

Just offering that with only 3 hours with MICA- determine if that is the total time?? Or is the time on the glacier, there is at least 30 minutes needed to get the crampons on and get to the ice.
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

MICA does want us there at least 30 mins before trek. Am assuming that is to get ready with gear etc. Still awaiting their reply.
Also wanted opinion of anybody who has done glacier trekking - will this be okay for senior aged 70, not very active?
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:29 PM

BQ and I at times disagree on driving times ... (I think she drives slower because she's scheming ways to scare whales away from the Kenai Fjords tourboats -- and I'm the guy always zooming by ...)

From the park to Palmer is only 208 miles by very good and easy road. If you go to Talkeetna, it's about 15 miles off the Parks Highway. Once you leave Palmer for the the glacier trip, the Glenn Highway is slower, curvy and much more scenic. Even pushing to Wasilla (3 1/2 hours) would make your glacier day a little easier.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:10 AM

Yes, I have done glacier trekking. Does this 70 year old have ANY mobility impairments?? You will have to go up and down some snow banks, feet pointed out sideways going up, leaning back -going down. It is at least 20 minutes of walking to get to the lake- if you go there and a long stretch of black ice.

You will be better off, if you can get a private guide, rather than going with a group- if you need more time. Chances are most people in a group will move right along. Ask how many are scheduled with your guide.
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:13 AM

We also made a reservation with MICA for the 3 hours ice fall trek. I call them and they said the 3 hours will be spent on the ice and definitely have enough time to get pass the black ice. They also offer family or group discount but you have to ask them because they may not tell you if you don't ask. I find out a lot of places are like that, they have all kind of discount but you have to ask them. We got AAA discount for the 26 Glaciers cruise.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the input on glacier trek. I think I will book my mother-in-law for the shorter trip. Her spirit is stronger than her physical condition, and as she has never walked on snow before (she lives in Asia), why risk it? MICA says we will be on the ice for 3 hours.
Repete, any good suggestions on accomodation in Wasilla or Palmer? Thanks a lot.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 06:31 AM

Off top of my head perhaps the Lake Lucille Inn ...

http://www.bestwesternlakelucilleinn.com/
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Don't know how I did it, but I messed up my hotel reservations,and have a new itinerary. Here is what it looks like:
August 5 - spend night in ANC
August 6 - glacier trek (10 am), and drive to Talkeetna. Princess McKinley Lodge already booked. Tried to change, but no rooms available the previous day.
August 7 - Flightseeing, drive to Denali. Princess Denali Lodge booked.
August 8 - Take Tundra Wilderness Tour. Drive to Wasilla.
August 9 - drive to Seward. Kenai Fjords 6 hour tour at 3 pm. Booked Van Gilder today with great difficulty. Everything was full!
August 10 _ Dog sledding and start cruise.
Now that I'm really into this trip, I was checking small details on Milepost, and see that the Princess lodge in Talkeetna is farthest away. Are there any options closer to the Parks Highway?
Any advantages in taking the tour rather than hop-on/hop-off?
Also, has anybody stayed at the Van Gilder hotel in Seward? Thanks,

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:57 AM

Not sure why you booked Princess lodges going independent, there are plenty of other options?? And yes the McKinley Princess is 50 miles away, not convenient for going back and forth to Talkeenta too many times. Hotel on that scale in Talkeena is the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge- pricy but definately a superior location. Several other small lodgings down several star notches.

Also late in the game, the Denali Princess is right in the middle of a BIG congested area. There are way better options outside of this. This is also in a big part tour group overload. Buses constantly coming and going. Hoards of people.

And although you do have your plans in place, I'm not sure why you went with the Tundra Wilderness tour either??? Superior is getting to Fish Creek via shuttle- that 10 miles difference is a wildlife haven. Bear habitat definately. Also 1/3 the cost. This isn't a hop on hop off, if you don't want to hike. Many people stay on the same bus if they choose to.

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:58 AM

As for MICA guides. They run an excellent tour. BUT my point in the tour time is NOT getting off the black ice, it's getting to the LAKE, which takes time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -