Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help needed! Looking for an oceanfront condo for 2 pp, under $130/night, West Maui

Search

Help needed! Looking for an oceanfront condo for 2 pp, under $130/night, West Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip for my parents retirement. I stayed in Maui Kai last year and loved the location. However, prices have gone up and I am trying to send my parents for 2 weeks, so looking for a less expensive option. Looking for additional suggestions in Kaanapali, Honokowai, Kahana or Napili. Must have excellent view, clean and relaxing. No frills necessary.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

I have checked out VRBO, but am overwhelmed by the amount of listings. Posting here for your real-life experiences!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:16 PM
MaureenB

About 16 ago we stayed at Napili Point condos and had a small one bedroom unit, but even then I think it was at least $125/night. It's oceanfront, at a rocky point. Napili Shores next door looked a bit fancier, with a sandy beach. Unless it's very low season, $130/night might be tough to find. Maybe a small studio w/kitchenette.

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Try the Hale Kai - halekai.com

We stayed in the larger unit there and loved it.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Another question- is the last week of Nov through the second week of December a good time for whale watching on the West coast?
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Here's a site that has a lot of condos. If you find some you like, you can compare prices with other sites.

www.hawaii-hotels.com Scroll to the bottom and where is says VISIT, click on Maui condos.

Others:

www.bookit.com

www.expedia.com

Whales start arriving mid to late November. Mid December through end of March is the best time with January & February the peak season.

This site has some whale watching info including places to see them from shore.

http://www.activity-hawaii-travel-gu...ng-hawaii.html

Lots of Maui info:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Jenna J,
First to answer your question on Whales we were there the 1st week of December 2005 and the whales were just showing up so November might be a little early. We stayed at a condo in Kaanapali called the El Dorado. It was cheaper than most of them but I can't recommend it because we had a rodent living in our room and one of the other buildings got fumigated during our stay. Other than that we loved Maui.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Bertaron- I certainly wouldn't recommend a hotel with rodents in the room!

But...tenting buidlings is done all the time in Hawaii to kill drywood termites. Many wood structures get it done every 6-10 years. My neighbor's house was just done last weekend. There is no way to get around doing it if the building has termites, so I wouldn't hold that against the condos.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

OK--so how about the end of January to he beginning of February for whale watching? How is the weather?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:52 AM

We loved our stay in the Outrigger Napili Shores condos. The oceanfront condos are wonderful. It's not a "beachfront" complex, but you just walk a few yards to the beach next door. The have 2 pools, one oceanfront and a jacuzzi, and IMHO, the best place for breakfast in Maui, the oceanfront "Gazebo". The units are managed by Outrigger, but are individually owned so you can also find them listed on VRBO.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! Please keep them coming. I would prefer to stick to less than $130 per night as I would like to send my parents for 2 weeks. Maui Kai and Kahana Reef are inviting. It's hard to tell through vrbo if condos are actually beachfront, with no obstruction. I want a place like Maui Kai where you look out and see only ocean, not condo pool, tons of people, etc. Any more suggested condo's? Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Check out this link:

http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com/properties/

We aren't going until March (and staying in unit 604 which is more than your preferred budget) so I can't give firsthand experience until then.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:40 PM

There are at least 4 Maui Kai condos on VRBO.

I stayed in Maui Kai 1003 (a studio on the 10th (top) floor)in Dec. 2004 which we booked through VRBO. I believe was paid $125 a night (all in, taxes included).

If it has gone up at all I think it may now be $130.

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Just a thought.... I wonder if your parents might prefer one week of watching the sun set over the water from their lanai to two weeks of a garden or parking lot view. Have you asked them? I know that as I've gotten older, the "right" view has become much more important to me, particularly for beach destinations.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

They def want ocean view. Maui Kai prices have gone up, that's why I am searching for addtl places. Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:17 AM
MaureenB

What about considering another Hawaiian island? Like the Big Island, which I believe is less expensive than Maui, because it has more housing options. We have stayed several times at a great complex there, called Sea Village, just below Kona. It has wonderful full ocean views, and is a relatively inexpensive and well-kept smallish complex. If you're interested, do a Google on Sea Village and you'll find private owner rentals and pictures. Some are managed also by Donita's Vacations. There are no elevators, so first floor units might work best for your parents.

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM

We stayed at Lahaina Shores when we went to Maui! We were on a tight budget because we also got mauid there as well. We had an oceanfront condo for $100 in June of 2003. They were normally $125 but had a special. It is a no thrills kind of place but very clean and close to everything. The best view and sleeping everynight listening to the sounds of the ocean was awesome.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Try the Noelani in the Honokawai area. They have studios that overlook the pool and ocean, but their 1 bdrms are ocean front with views of Molokai, I think. They are not real fancy, but nice and clean with small ocean front pool and jacquzzi and bbqs. I think that they have AAA discounts as well.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions! I will check out the condo's mentioned. As per which island, I am sending them to Maui since it is their favorite island!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Jenna,
Try www.chasenrainbows.com - they are a property management company with lots of options. They have lots of affordable properties. I've used them a couple of times & not been disappointed.

Good luck! Dianne

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -