Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help Needed: Comfortable Women’s Shoes (but not athletic)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a pair of low-heeled, springy-innersoled shoes suitable for walking all day and not too ugly to wear to a half-decent restaurant at night. I travel light – 2-3 weeks in Europe in spring or fall with only a roll-aboard – so need dual duty. I have plenty of athletic-type shoes that help with my back problems. But I also have a closet full of moderately priced shoes (Naturalizer, Life Stride, Aerosole, etc.) that feel fine the first three or four hours, then cause problems – rubbing, pinching, etc. I buy shoes in late afternoon but it hasn’t helped. The only pair, apart from some sandals, that I can wear for lots of walking is a pair of black suede high cut Land’s End slip-ons that aren’t exactly beautiful.

A friend (male) recommends Mephisto but I would really hate to spend $200, $300 or more on another pair of shoes to stuff in the closet. (By the time I’ve worn them long enough to realize they won’t work, they’re not returnable). DH loves some black Keen oxford-type shoes for comfort but the Keen women’s shoes are pretty ugly. (Actually, I currently find a lot of women’s shoes pretty ugly.)

I usually wear 9 ½ medium, which is often a hard size to find, and have a narrow heel; a lot of shoes are built on a wider last and don’t work – I have never been able to wear a pair of Clark’s, for instance, and SAS shoes don't seem designed for my feet either. Heel slippage is a major problem and I don’t find that various shoe inserts or stick-ons help. Would prefer black smooth leather, but low heels and a well-padded innersole are essential. Also nothing like backless clogs. Am hoping some folks here, especially those with narrow heels, can suggest some brands to try. (Oh for the days of combination lasts.)
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Polly, I really sympathize with you! I wear a 9 1/2 too and it's so hard to find. They make half sized up to 8 1/2 and then it's 9, 10, etc. I always end up trying on a 9 (too small) or a 10 (too big).

I've had very good luck with Skechers. I've got a couple of pairs of their flats and I've gone through 3 weeks each in Italy and then in France with no other walking shoes and they were perfectly comfortable right to the end. The flats I get are about $90 where I live but I got one of the pair on sale for $60. Mine are years old now but still in good condition and still comfortable.

Skechers has a lot more styles now so you might find something that suits your needs.
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 08:13 AM

Oh, and I meant to say that many of the styles (including both of mine) have straps across the instep which might help with the slippage.
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 08:21 AM

I also have narrow heels, and have have good luck with Aravon shoes (a New Balance co.) They can be pricy, but you might luck out in one of the discount sites, such as Joesnewbalance.

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/search_results.asp

~Liz
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Sorry, that link does work as planned, but you can search for Aravon there, or go to the Aravon.com site to see there styles.
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 08:33 AM

As you know, your feet are the problem not all the shoes. Don't MOST shoes feel fine at first, cause problems after a few hours, then settle in? You do need to break them in gradually.

Mephisto is a good investment if you can find a pair that you like and will wear. On the lower end look at the Spring Step line, google "Spring Step black women's" for photoes.
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you can shop at a Nordstrom, they will take any shoe back that doesn't work out, even after it's been worn outside.

I can't wear Mephistos myself. I've tried several times... the worst! don't mind the price, just they never fit right.

I like Naot or Merrell best.
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 08:48 AM

I found that the one pair of closed heel Mephistos I bought slipped at the heel, although I still have and like a pair of Mephistos sandals where heel width isn't an issue.
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Can you get good arch supporting insoles to add to the shoes you own, to make them fit better and be comfortable all day? Maybe an insole would take up the slack so they don't slip at your heel?

I recently bought a pair of North Face Base Camp Ballet Flats from Zappos. I like them a lot. Very lightweight, with a springy insole and a slight arch. My feet are narrow, too, but these work for me.

I bought a pair of grey/white/green ones and wish I had the black ones, but they are out-of-stock in my size now, on zappos.com.

http://www.zappos.com/the-north-face...et-black-black
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 09:04 AM

I have a similar problem - but worse. I wear a 9 narrow - but have 4N heels - so even narrow shoes (which are becoming harder and harder to find - although everyone seems to offer wides - are we becoming a nation of ducks). I have given up finding shoes in stores - even Saks - which used to have a great shoe department. I now order from Zappos or Nordstroms - recognizing that I may order 8 to 10 pair to find one that fits. And when I do find one that fits I get it in whatever other colors I can find. But, I must say that for me if they are comfy in the store (I circle the show department several times - they almost always are in real life.)

What works for me for walking are Skecher's Mary Janes - since the strap across the foot holds it on - and they are comfy for miles. But - everyone's foot is different. (And no - those pads or grips or whatever they give you to put in the heels to make them narrower - never work.)

But I admit that for shoes to go to dinner - I get real ones - don;t compromise - but I always travel with checked luggage if a trip is more than 3 days.
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 09:26 AM

I know you mentioned not being able to wear Clarks, but have you tried the Clarks "Unstructured" line? They are heavenly for me...walked miles in Italy and France last year without a complaint, and often forgot to take them off back at the hotel, they were so comfortable.
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 09:34 AM

I just bought these for our trip to France next month. They are amazingly comfortable, kind of cute and the back may work great for your narrow heel:

http://www.englinsfinefootwear.com/f...ltiple-colors/
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 09:37 AM

I can't wear Clarks either, so I'm interested in that "unstructured" line.

Have you looked at Ecco?

(BTW, I agree that most comfort shoes are pretty darn unattractive!)
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 09:42 AM

My wife highly recommends SAS shoes. Her doctors all wear SAS shoes for standing and walking (think surgeries)on harder surfaces.
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Reporting back. Your thread prompted me to find the black North Face flats for our upcoming trip. A little Googling around, and I found them at a slight discount, with free shipping and a free North Face tote bag. Yay!
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 09:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't wear regular Clarks but I love the "Artisan" line.
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 09:47 AM

At Shoebacca.com
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 09:51 AM

I've been to Europe several times & NEVER leave without my Merrells. I have the plain black ones & they work with everything-jeans, slacks. For warmer weather, I highly reccomend TEVA leather sandals-lots of support, can walk in both for miles. Good luck!
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 09:55 AM

Fwiw, I have never been able to wear the same shoes for walking all day and going out at night except in very warm climates, where I'll wear a supportive sandal like Naot or a sneaker like Converse without socks. Otherwise, it's lace-up sneakers or shoes for the walking around and a slip-on shoe or zip boot for evening. This is in part because lace-ups or adjustable velcro straps and the like accommodate different thicknesses of sock, heel issues, a blister pad, etc., and can be readjusted as the the day goes one; slip ons, if they start to rub, that's all she wrote.

That said, I like Naot and New Balance for myself. I second the suggestion to order from Zappos: free shipping, free returns, order a dozen pairs if you like! Nordstrom is the same provided you live near enough to a store to return them. Good luck!
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

What a great bunch of responses. Thanks! It will give me some places to start. I wasn't happy to hear about getting and returning lots of pairs before finding some that work, though. I thought it was bad enough when I needed some Keen H2Os for wet landings in the Galapagos and the first two from Zappos didn't work. Found some on a trip and all they had was lavender, which I didn't want, but at least I knew my size then and was able to get the right ones from Zappos on the next try. Guess I'll have to suck it up and start ordering (and ordering and ordering) if I can't find anything locally. Maybe should try SAS again and also look at Nordstrom, which is at a mall 20+ mi. from here where I seldom go. Would like to find something in the next couple of weeks to take on a Sept. trip to CO where we'll have more luggage or on a driving trip in Oct. so I'll know if they deserve some of the limited luggage space for 3 wks. in Italy next April.

I never take a new pair of shoes on a trip - or even wear them out for a few hours without another pair in the car. But after you've worn a pair for several hours a dozen times, it seems to me that there's not going to be much more breaking in. Have also never had any luck with the stick-on heel thingies. My experience with adding innersoles has also been less than satisfactory. If the shoe is large enough that the toe box fits with an added innersole, it is usually too loose in the heel. DH swears by some he used to get at K-Mart (some off-brand, slightly rigid that he can't find now), but they didn't work for me - the same space problem.

Still have some wonderful-feeling Life Stride sandals that are a cross between the "utility" type and a more dressy shoe, but they were discontinued and by the time I discovered how great they were, they were hard to find (espec. 9 1/2). Finally got 2 more in different colors. Am hoping if I find a really great shoe it will come in several colors because I'd hate to have to buy half a dozen pair exactly alike. But if I find something good, I'll try to get a lifetime supply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -