Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help!! Need your honest opinion. Hawaii vs. Aruba (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-need-your-honest-opinion-hawaii-vs-aruba-398585/)

Janny Feb 12th, 2004 06:06 PM

Help!! Need your honest opinion. Hawaii vs. Aruba

Ok. I'm trying to narrow this down. Hawaii vs. Aruba. I've been to Maui several times and just fell in love with that place. Talk about paradise!! I'm considering going to Aruba for a change of pace this year. I'm really nervous about going because I'm afraid it won't compare to Maui even though Aruba costs just as much as going to Hawaii. Could someone who has been to both give me there honest opinion of Aruba vs. Hawaii. From the pictures of Aruba, the ocean looks gorgeous!!

almesq Feb 12th, 2004 06:17 PM

From a natural beauty point of view, there's no comparison--Aruba is not a lush tropical paradise like Hawaii or some other islands. But, it is the Caribbean, and the water is gorgeous. Great beaches, perfect weather. I personally like the water and beaches in the Caribbean better than Hawaiian beaches, but you won't get scenery in Aruba like in Hawaii. It really depends on what you're looking for. They're both great vacations, just different.

travleis Feb 12th, 2004 06:35 PM

Good summary by almesq.
Aruba is a desert island complete with cacti. It's rocky/sandy/flat and ugly.
But that rocky terrain is what is broken down by wave action into the white sand beaches, which are much more expansive and beautiful than those in the Hawaiian islands.
Aruba's other strong points are that crime is close to nil (even safer than Hawaii), the weather is very predictably warm/sunny and there are several good restaurants.
None of the best resorts on Aruba (Hyatt, Radisson) compare with the better resorts in HI.

You know about Hawaii.
Aruba is not tropical looking or feeling and it's very commercialized with plenty of KFC/Dunkin' Donuts etc.
It is pretty much lacking in charm IMO.
But if sun and sand are big priorities, it'll fill the bill.

caribtraveler Feb 13th, 2004 04:19 AM

Have gone to both Maui and Aruba. Agree 100% with previous posters.

Cher Feb 13th, 2004 08:27 AM

What about some of the other islands that are a bit more lush than Aruba, i.e., Virgin Islands, especially St. John.

travleis Feb 13th, 2004 09:47 AM

I'm curious, too. As Cher implied, why Aruba in particular?
IMO the Caribbean's best experiences are on St. Barth's, Anguilla, St. John and Barbados. And if an Aruba type vacation is sought, I prefer Grand Cayman. (Unless, of course, it's the July-November hurricane season).

JeanH Feb 13th, 2004 12:42 PM

We returned a few weeks ago from a wonderful week in Grenada. Very lush, very tropical and a beautiful beach. Also a very nice harbor town to wander around in.

Good restaurants right on the beach, and not terribly expensive either.