Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Help: need a safe cheap ride fron Newark to Hyatt in Jersey City
Notices

Help: need a safe cheap ride fron Newark to Hyatt in Jersey City

Nov 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Help: need a safe cheap ride fron Newark to Hyatt in Jersey City

Hi!

I already book Hyatt on the Hudson for next week. Our flight will come in Newark almost midnight and we hesitate to take the subway from airport to Hyatt hotel so late at night...is it safe? Can we do this without getting mugged?

I cant find a reasonable transportation to the hotel. I couldn't use the shuttle because its only two of us and cab is expensive. Please advise which or any other option that is cheap and safe. Thank you.
Nov 5th, 2011, 04:16 PM

The "subway", by which I assume you mean PATH train, does not go to Newark Airport. Even in the daytime you would have to connect by AirTrain/train or bus to Newark Penn Station to catch the PATH train to Exchange Place and your hotel. At that hour, train/bus service is limited and the series of connections would be even more tedious. This is the situation where a taxi is truly the most effective option, albeit pricey.
Nov 5th, 2011, 04:47 PM

The subway runs only in NYC - not in Jersey. There is the PATH - from NYC to a couple of places in Jersey - but late at night service is very limited. But it doesn't go to EWR.

From there you would have to take the AirTrain and then NJ TRansit - but that late at night those run very rarely and I'm not sure I would take it. Frankly it's not that far and the taxi cost wouldn't be that much - and is the only thing I would consider. (Just so you're aware there are areas of Newark - not the airport but the city - that you don;t want to be in at any hour - day or night.)
Nov 5th, 2011, 08:21 PM

I just called a car service 212-777-7777 to see what their service would cost. It was $44 plus tip. Well worth it!!!! You do not want to be looking for a connection in the Newark train station late at night. Who knows how the connections are when you would get there. Car or car service only possible options! There is a reason Newark and Jersey City hotels cost less than those in NYC.

Search this Thread