Help me plan trip to Vegas with 16 yr old D to see Criss Angel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In lieu of a party, my daughter wants to see Criss Angel in Vegas. I'm not a "Vegas" person, but I'm up for a very short trip. He's at the Luxor I guess and from what I read, it's not the best hotel around.

We would arrive Friday night and leave on Sunday, so we won't have a lot of time to fill. The trip would be sometime in October or November.

Suggestions? Hotel? Should we just stay at the Luxor for convenience?

Other things to do? She does like thrill rides, so what can you suggest?

I don't want to spend a fortune, but we don't have to be in the cheapest place either.

Thanks!
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 09:07 AM

I did a girlfriends trip a few years ago and we stayed at Excalibur which is next door to the Luxor. Like the Luxor, it's not considered to be the best hotel around, but we found our room to be perfectly fine--nothing fancy, but it was clean and comfortable and we were only there to sleep anyway. We also thought the Excalibur had a nice pool (although that might be a moot point in November). So, I'd just find a place that suits your budget and save your money for the attractions.
BTW, my daughter would have LOVED to been able to see Criss Angel for her 16th birthday. I hope your daughter appreciates what a good mom you are.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM

All of the hotels in that category (theme/family) are perfect for you... you don't need a luxury/ high end for this trip...

call Luxor and explain your purpose for the trip and they will possibly arrange a Ticket/Room package... this could save you $$$ and get you preferred seats for the show (play up her Criss Angel dream birthday wish)... I have seen it work at other properties.... can't hurt...

There's tons of shopping, rides, and street activity as well as theme eating... have fun...
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Luxor is the only hotel my DW and I stayed in along the Strip.
Most of the knocks against this hotel seem to be about its location at the south end of the Strip. For a short stay to see a show in the hotel the rooms are not bad. The ride up in the inclinator (not elevator) is interesting.
At the time we stayed there Carrot Top was the headliner. I don't know if he is still doing a show there.
For fancier restaurants at the south end of the Strip, check out Paris.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Not trying to rain on her parade, but the Chris Angel show is bad bad bad. If she thinks it's going to be anything like what she's seen on TV, she's going to be extremely disappointed. I like the stuff on TV, but honestly would not go back if someone gave me tickets.

As for thrill rides, coaster at NYNY and/or the ones at the Statosphere (very extreme). You might also check out the MGM or Venetian for room deals
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

LOL, I've read the reviews. It's all about seeing the man of her dreams in person.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 08:52 PM

I've got teen daughters about your age so I understand. However, don't say I didn't warn you! :-0
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 10:01 PM

I lived in Southern Ca for 30 years and have made more trips to Vegas than Disneyland for sure, so from my experience I would tell you that you'll always find the best hotel deals by going through the hotel website directly - I have stayed at hotels all up and down the strip, and cannot ever recall a disappointing experience, so I'd go with whatever hotel appeals to you in terms of location and price. Most all hotels will offer you something "extra" with your stay. I've gotten everything from free buffet tickets, to bath robes, to $100 resort credit (to use towards food). It just depends on what kind of promos they have going on at that time. Enjoy, and a happy "Sweet 16" to your daughter!

P.S. Don't forget to monitor the rooms prices periodically prior to your arrival - if they go down, the hotel will make the adjustment for you, and save you some $$$ (to go towards those Criss Angel souvenirs).
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 07:10 AM

Luxor, Mandalay Bay, MGM, NYNY and the newly renovated Tropicana would all be convenient. Monte CArlo and Planet Hollywood are walkable as well. But check the rates on different dates before you choose your weekend...October is full of large conventions and rooms rates can double and triple from one week to the next.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. D is thrilled about the idea. But not only can it be the Luxor, it MUST be the Luxor. I guess Criss has filmed a lot of bits for his TV show there.