Notices

Help Me Plan OUr Trip to Upstate NY

Old Jun 24th, 2020, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Help Me Plan OUr Trip to Upstate NY

We have been fortunate to be able to stay for 8 nights in July in a friend's home in Willow NY. It's between Woodstock and Phoencia. I am so excited to be able to plan a trip and be away. We've been to the Catskills/HV many times and have visited most of the major indoor attractions. This trip we plan to pretty much stay out of doors for the majority if not all of the 8 days -- gardens, hikes etc. In our plans right now are Innisfree Gardens and the nearby Wetherford Gardens. The Hudson Walkway would be great to do. Storm King is still closed but we may go there if it's open by then.
I would love recommendations for places to visit or hikes in the area. As far as hikes go, we are moderate hikers and very steep hikes are not so great anymore after a TKR.

For dining, we will likely eat in most nights, but try a few carry out within 30 minutes of our house. Suggestions for that would also be appreciated --- any type of food and any price is fine.

Finally, as this will be our first COVID trip any suggestions you have if you have already embarked upon a trip during the pandemic would be great.

Thank you for your help!

Can't Wait!

Last edited by yestravel; Jun 24th, 2020 at 06:29 AM. Reason: weird word division with photo
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 09:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post
You can cross the Hudson River and visit FDR’s Home and Library, the Vanderbilt Mansion and many other historical homes if any of them are open. West Point is such a gem too. If you are allowed on campus, a walk around it is wonderful. There are a few museums too.
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr View Post
You can cross the Hudson River and visit FDR’s Home and Library, the Vanderbilt Mansion and many other historical homes if any of them are open. West Point is such a gem too. If you are allowed on campus, a walk around it is wonderful. There are a few museums too.
Thank you! I have never been to West Point. If its open is it worth just walking around outside? We have been to many of the historical houses and for this trip we prefer outdoor venues.
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We took a bus tour of West Point years ago and really enjoyed it. I don't think they let people just walk around (Unlike Annapolis, which does allow that)
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 04:39 PM

Somewhat of a drive, but Olana is worth a visit. Check to see if it's open.

Old Jun 24th, 2020, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sf7307 View Post
We took a bus tour of West Point years ago and really enjoyed it. I don't think they let people just walk around (Unlike Annapolis, which does allow that)
Thanks! I’ll keep an eye for WP opening. Its closed for now. Thanks!

michael- I agree Olana is fabulous. We’ve been several times. This trip we would like to stay outside.

Old Jun 25th, 2020, 05:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Here's an offbeat open-air site you might enjoy https://opus40.org. It has an intriguing backstory. I haven't been yet myself, but good friends have and it is on my list.
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked to see if you could get take away at the CIA in Hyde Park but closed right now. Might be open for your trip. New Palz is always a good stop.
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 08:40 AM

Have you been to Fort Ticonderoga? It would be a long day, but is interesting for history buffs.

Do check if your state is one that is on the 14 day quarantine list before you venture out.
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 05:02 PM

Minnewaska and Mohonk Preserve outside of New Paltz for hiking. Hudson and Kingston for shopping and dining.Olana is beautiful, even if you can only walk the grounds. There’s also a pedestrian walkway over the Rip Van Winkle Bridge across the Hudson. Parking for that is on the east side of the river minutes from Olana. Rhinebeck is also cool. A bit further, Albany is full of history and beautiful architecture. the NYS Museum is curating exhibits which are visible from the outside and the Empire State Plaza is cool for walking around. There’s a lot to see and do in the Hudson Valley.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all! Some great suggestions. I think we’ll have more than enough to fill our 8 days.
i’m from DC so not one of the states on the list to quarantine.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Storm King, if open, will be great. Note that they have no food available but there are picnic tables. Bring your own picnic.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 04:34 AM

The Thomas Cole historic site across the river from Oleana is another spot you could visit. The house is not open but the grounds are. There is also a Hudson River School trail you can follow to see some of the landscapes in paintings by various artists.

I am sort of surprised that DC meets the NY criteria for not requiring quarantine, but the restricted states all seem to be in the south. VT has a much more complicated county-by-county restriction for states in the northeast.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 08:18 AM
J62

NY has updated the list of restricted states. As of 6/30 the list is increased from 8 to 16 states:
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Idaho
  • Louisiana
  • Mississippi
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody View Post
Storm King, if open, will be great. Note that they have no food available but there are picnic tables. Bring your own picnic.
When we were there last September we were able to buy mediocre sandwiches, but the food service might not be available during this pandemic.