Hawaii at Christmas with older teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all. We are going to Hawaii with 2 families- 4 adults and 4 young adults, 18-20 years old, at Christmastime. We are definitely going to be on Oahu for two days but also were thinking 5 days in Kauia. Our friends want to do a helicopter ride, snorkel with sea turtles, and deep sea fish. We are also all foodies. Thoughts?
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 07:36 AM

Christmas this year? Most make reservations a year in advance, so your decision may be dependent on whether or not you can find acceptable accommodations. Have you booked your flights?

BTW, the Big Island has helicopter rides over an active volcano, has the best snorkeling in Hawaii, and maybe the best options for deep sea fishing too.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 10:15 AM

Stick with one island with only 7 days.
Christmas is a super busy time and many of the best places are likely almost all booked.
You will probably need 2 condos and many condos have minimum stay requirements especially over the holidays.
In Hawaii the fish belongs to the boat, so it is up to the captain as to how much if any he gives you to keep. My husband caught an ono once off Kauai and we only got two filets. Ask in advance what their policy is.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 10:26 AM

I would recommend Oahu or Kauai as well. We did both one Christmas and had a wonderful time. We also had about 5 to 7 days so it is doable. But have you checked accommodation rates over Christmas and New Years? It is generally double or triple the normal rates.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 11:53 AM

"In Hawaii the fish belongs to the boat..."

That's often the case, but I think captains on the Big Island are hungrier, because I've been out on three different boats, and the captains all agreed to let us keep the fish we caught. Wish we'd caught more than the one marlin we didn't want to keep.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 12:07 PM
bvh

I've been all over Hawaii and I'm not sure if I love one area more than another. Love the food there. The cocktails are great, too. I've done the helicopter thing as well. All fun and fascinating.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 04:44 PM

Dukes on Waikiki can be fun for a group lunch or dinner... you can also surf lesson right outside dukes on the beach... we sat on the patio, watched our kids surf and even had a photographer take in-water action shots of the kids...
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 09:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With such a short trip, and with a group, I would pick only one island.

Maybe start by seeing where you can get a holiday reservation, pricing for lodging, etc. to help you decide?
Old Sep 17th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We have an option for north shore of Kauia, one near Wiemea, and a few in Puopu ( I think I slaughtered all of those spellings). Which area do you think would have the most access to activities? (the kayaking/canoe/waterfall trip is from the east coast, Waimea canyon is from the west coast, Napali cruise on the west coast, great hike on the north coast...? Thanks, Ellen
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 10:00 AM

I'd pick a condo in Poipu. Waimea is too far west and not too many places to eat so you would end up driving to Hanapepe, Kalaheo or Poipu. Waimea Canyon does have very good hiking and also Koke'e State Park just north of the Canyon. In fact go there first to see the Kalalau Lookout before the fog rolls in later in the morning.
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 11:42 AM

NOrth Shore is beautiful but winter is brutal on that side of the island. Beaches really not that safe to use. Stay SOuth Shore Poipu rea. Waimea too far away for youth to do anything.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 08:03 AM

Strange, I posted a response earlier but it doesn't appear now. I hope I am not repeating myself.

At any rate, Waimea on the North Shore is only a 35 to 45 min drive by car depending on traffic. The North Shore if Kauai is stunning and beautiful and it would be a shame to fly hundreds of miles to Kauai and not take a short drive to see it.

I've swam and snorkeled in the surf (at Tunnels) in Jan without problems. Just check with local dive rental shops and they can give you helpful beach and surf conditions for North Shore beaches.

No matter where you go for swimming ALWAYS go to a life guarded beach. Rip currents can happen in two feet of water in a perfectly calm beach even in Poipu.
Old Sep 21st, 2017, 02:25 PM
Kal

Rip currents are deadly on Kauai. Totally agree with nanabee....for once. ;-)

When you say Waimea on Kauai do you mean The Plantation Cottages?
They have really updated them over the past 2 yrs from what we have heard/seen. Only bummer is you have to drive to any restaurant because I think the last resto there, Kalapaki Joe's closed down.