Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help me pick a midweek luncheon in Chicago before "Wicked" Matinee (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-me-pick-a-midweek-luncheon-in-chicago-before-wicked-matinee-525268/)

JJ5 Apr 29th, 2005 07:34 AM

Help me pick a midweek luncheon in Chicago before "Wicked" Matinee

These are the restaurants in the running:

Atwood Cafe - 1 W. Washington

Trattoria #10- 10 N. Dearborn

Heaven on Seven- 111 N. Wabash (7ths floor)

Govnor's Pub- 207 N. State

312 Chicago- 136 N. LaSalle

Any experiences you want to share on these greatly appreciated. I am doing a Ferris Bueller and will be slinking hidden behind my head scarf and into the 1st row balcony.

So far I do not think the Von Stuben Day Parade is coming down the street, but who knows what will happen!

Vittrad Apr 29th, 2005 09:05 AM

I ate at 312 Chicago last weekend because I had friends staying in the Allegro, if their brunch is anything to judge by, their lunches should be just lovely. Heaven on Seven is pretty good too (but I've only eaten dinners there) but a bit to "partyish" (that can border on cheesy) in atmosphere for my tastes ... but the food is pretty good.

patg Apr 29th, 2005 09:10 AM

I love Atwood and Trattoria #10. Atwood is smaller and gets pretty crowded.

JJ5 Apr 29th, 2005 09:13 AM

Yes, that's exactly what I am pondering.

Thanks, Vittrad.

I just brought up 3 of the 5 menus and 312's menu is extremely compelling. Trattoria #10 has asparagus ravioli that sound to die for.

Anyone who has anything to say about atmosphere etc. is very welcome. Quiet is ok by me, but would like to know if they are totally dead.

SusanM Apr 29th, 2005 10:04 AM

I have eaten at each of these places, and it would be between 312 Chicago and Trattoria #10 for me. BUT, since you say Trattoria #10 has asparagus ravioli, that seals the deal!!

(I'm not a fan of the cuisine at Heaven on Seven, Atwood's menu was, for me, too limited, and if I remember correctly, Govnor's Pub is not really much more than bar that serves food.)

JJ5 Apr 29th, 2005 10:52 AM

SusanM, patg- THANKS.

Just before SusanM posted I had narrowed it down to Trattoria #10 or 312 Chicago.

I'll save Heaven on Seven and Atwood for other times when I am with the noisier and more frugal bunch.

Maybe I'll stay/shop a bit on State and have a bite after the theater as well.

Thanks everyone!

swalter518 Apr 29th, 2005 11:25 AM

312 Chicago is very good (That's the one in the Hotel Allegro right?) It has a big business lunch crowd though so you might want to call ahead.

JJ5 Apr 29th, 2005 11:36 AM

Yes, thanks- I will.

Kristi Apr 30th, 2005 04:09 PM

Atwood is small but it does take reservations. The decor in there is absolutely charming and I thought the food was great, the desserts especially although they are big enough for 2 to share. It's one of my favorite spots to eat in the loop.

I haven't made it to 312Chicago yet but I hear it's good if that is what you've decided on.

JJ5 May 3rd, 2005 01:15 PM

Thanks, Kristi- I'm saving Atwood for a lunch with my SIL soon. But on Wicked day, I'm going to either 312 Chicago or Trattoria #10.

I'm going to call ahead and see which one will work better for lunch. I hear 312 Chicago is more mobbed at lunch time. That and the fact that Trattoria #10 has got some really special spring things (like asparagus ravioli) sounds like it can not be resisted.

But I was very glad to hear you like the Atwood Cafe, because I have passed it and it looks like a place I would like, but never could stop.

The menu at 312 Chicago looks excellent for dinner, so I'm going to try to get that in before summer is over as well.

ms_go May 3rd, 2005 01:26 PM

JJ5 - I used to work in two different buildings within a block or so of Trattoria No. 10, and I never turned down an opportunity to have lunch there (or Vivere). The asparagus ravioli is very good; the butternut squash ravioli is even better. It can be get very busy at lunch time; reservations are necessary unless you go when they first open. It is below ground level and has the feel of being a number of smaller rooms, although it really isn't. Conversation friendly. I think you'll enjoy it.

I also like Atwood Cafe for lunch. I haven't been to 312 Chicago, but it is on my list, as well.

ms_go May 3rd, 2005 01:37 PM

BTW - Trattoria No. 10 and Sopraffina are owned by the same retaurant group (the former, obviously, is much more upscale). But if you don't get to Trattoria No. 10, you may be able to find the asparagus ravioli at Sopraffina on occasion. I've had it there before.

Keith May 3rd, 2005 02:31 PM

Enjoy the show. I saw it Sunday and thought it was great.

Carol Kane was a surprise treat, I had bought the tickets based solly on the repuatation of the NY production.

Keith

JJ5 May 3rd, 2005 04:00 PM

You've all been wonderful. Thanks ms go and thanks Keith.

Butternut squash! Yipes, yum!

And now they have extended the show so many, many people will be asking me about it- as I am the first one from my neck of the woods who got tickets for this early in May. A bunch I know have for May 24.

Just another week, and lots of good things coming besides. Isn't life great!

Thanks everybody, I wish you could all come too. After this semester, we need a parade.

ms_go May 3rd, 2005 04:18 PM

Enjoy! We have tickets for May 20. Just starting to think about where we will have dinner before....

Kristi May 3rd, 2005 07:13 PM

JJ5, when you do get to the Atwood Cafe, if you have a sweet tooth, try the banana white chocolate bread pudding, I would go there just for that. In fact, I think I will get reservations there when we go to see Wicked on May 17th :-)

exiledprincess May 4th, 2005 06:15 AM

JJ5, sometime try the Golden Budha (Chinese Steakhouse) at 312 W. Randolph. I don't think you will be disappointed.

JJ5 May 4th, 2005 09:02 AM

Thanks, everybody. I will try both. My SIL does have a sweet tooth and I'll take her to the Atwood Cafe soon. We are going downtown later in June.

AND the Golden Budha sounds great. Actually, I am really stuck on a Chinese phase right now. They opened a new one by me last year that is so terrific that I'm doing this cuisine about every other week for take home now. We have never had such good/extremely fresh with exact varying degrees of "hot" you might like. The vegtables are top notch and the meat is tender as tender can be.

They are immigrants and now their son has gotten to know me and plays his recorder for me (he's about 7)while I wait. The prices are mid-range for SW-about $8 ato $12 a take out entree.Lots of items you don't find elsewhere in SW, more like downtown/Chinatown choices. It now has only 2 small tables to sit down-most business is take out. But it is already getting mobbed and killing the competition.

Great Wall 11050 W. 179th St Orland Pk, IL

This is the place for great take out Chinese, swalter518- especially if you like hot. Garlic Chicken #72 is terrific. Broccoli /pea pods/ mushrooms all perfect. Do not get chop suey- it is horrible- they do real Chinese food.

Even my non-Chinese food eaters want something from them.

We need to do a Ferris Bueller as well for lunch someday. I bet that Golden Budha would be good for that. Do they do a surround cook per your order as at the Japanese steakhouses?

JJ5 May 12th, 2005 10:41 AM

Luncheon report follows:

I went to Trattoria #10 - 10 N. Dearborn
Chicago

Food was average pricey for downtown.
My lunch ran $30 per person with coffee.
Surroundings peaceful and elegant. Specialties were outstanding. In "before theater" meals this is tops of all I have tried in this neck of the woods, so far. Better than Italian Village, for sure.

The Butternut/Acorn squash ravioli were fabulous and the asparagus soup rather unique and also delicious.

The asparagus soup had NO cream and was served in a pitcher and poured over asparagus heads and tiny potato cubes and herbs. It consists of ground asparagus/olive oil/thyme/garlic and some other herbs. It was very hot (I hate luke warm soups that are supposed to be served hot- one of the things I am very picky about.)

All patrons receive some bread and crispy wafer (crost.)upon seating. They had a spring vegtable trio tortellini that looked great too.

The ravioli I had were in a butter sauce with walnuts and basil. UUUUUM!

When I was seated at 11:45 am there were only 4 or 5 people seated in business type luncheons. Within the 15 minutes the entire place was at capacity. It is below ground and quiet/ quiet music. Wonderfully relaxing.

I walked by Atwood Cafe going to other stops and it looked busy, but still open to walk-ins at just before 2pm.

We will try 312 Chicago soon, but for a ladies' luncheon or matinee- I will take friends to Trattoria #10. Loved it and want to try their trio Chef's salad plate too.

Thanks all for your thoughts and knowledge.

Wicked was just wicked. I wore green of course. It was longer than I thought and much wittier. Finale number at the end of the 1st half is phenomenal. They would not allow cameras and were trying dilligently to monitor cell phone use of any kind. They confiscated a camera. And the Oriental Theater sure looks a lot better than when I saw it last. Love the staircases.

aschie30 May 12th, 2005 12:24 PM

FYI as to some of the comments regarding Heaven on Seven - the HOS on Wabash is NOTHING like the HOS on Rush. This is the original HOS and it has a cramped, coffee-shop atmosphere, lunch counter and all. It is very vintage and somewhat grimy. I'll go to the Wasbash outpost occasionally for lunch; I actually prefer the food as well as the atmosphere to the faux Mardi Gras atmosphere that appeals to tourists in the Rush outpost.