Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help me make my list of inexpensive food options in San Francisco

Old May 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to get a list going of inexpensive restaurants in different locations around San Francisco so I have it handy when we're there.

We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers, one of whom is vegetarian. We're pretty adventurous with our tastes and willing to try just about anything once.

Any thoughts for fun, interesting and tasty places to eat that won't break the bank ($10-15 each for lunch, $25ish for dinner) in the following areas?
North Beach
Haight Ashbury
Embarcadero
Sausalito
Union Square
Japantown
Fishermans' Wharf

Old May 16th, 2008, 08:25 AM

If you'll be visiting from June 1 to 15, the "Dine About Town" thread I posted & topped a few times would be your best resource.? A hundred options there..although they're about $6 more than your range, but it's 3 courses. Some of our best restaurants are on that list.

If you won't be in SF then, What is included in your $25?
Appetizer?
Dessert?
wine?

Our favorite low cost dinner is Pomelo in the Noe Valley. Certainly more "typical San Francisco" than the Wharf. The J-Church street car from downtown stops in front of Pomelo - at 30th St. Sit on the left/east side of the car going there for some great views downtown as you pass Dolores park. There are several good restaurants in that immediate neighborhood. Erics for Chinese, an Indiain restaurant (new), La Cicca (Sardinian). Incanto too - but considerably more than $25.

Stu Dudley

Old May 16th, 2008, 08:27 AM

Hi mwessel, here is the SF Chronicles list of what they call "Bargain Bites" which should give you some good ideas as to where you and your family would like to eat.

http://www.sfgate.com/food/bargains/

Have a wonderful time in San Francisco!
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

We'll be there in mid July. Too bad we'll be missing the Dine About Town event. It sounds great.

I'm talking $10-15 for basic lunch. No appetizers, no desserts.No drinks included in that price.
$25 ish for dinner as price on menu. Any wine or appetizers would be above that.

Thanks Stu for the suggestion of Pomelo. So if we were to go from our hotel in Union Square, (Sir Francis Drake) where would we catch that J-Church streetcar to get to Pomelo?

Bargain Bites looks awesome loveitaly. Thanks for the tip and the link.

Old May 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Same as the underground BART stations. In your case, Powell & Market (where the Cable Cars start/end).

$25 for an entree (w/o tax & tip) is a rathar normal price for most of the mid-range restaurants in the City. The farther you get away from Downtown, The Embarcadero, and the Wharf - the more entrees you'll find for $25 or less in restaurants I dine in (that eliminates the Wharf, & semi-fast food places). You might find lots of places on Belden Alley (downtown) with entrees less than $25 & that's a fun place to dine - for tourists and locals - lunch and dinner.

Stu Dudley
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Would your teens appreciate the 50s atmosphere? Lori's Diner on Sutter @ Powell.

Max's: 398 Geary (union square) 1633 Fillmore (japantown)
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:16 AM

In the Haight my favorite restaurant is Cha Cha Cha's
Reasonable tapas and great sangria.

1801 Haight St. San Francisco, CA, 94117. (415) 386-7670
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd grab an Italian sandwich at Molinari's on Columbus. Or one of many cheap Chinese seafood places in Chinatown.
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Hi, mwessel: Forgot if you will have a car or not.

Lori's diner is a good suggestion. There are a couple around Union Square, there's also one at Fisherman's Wharf.

Out at Fisherman's Wharf, there's also the Rainforest Cafe. What your kids might enjoy most is to watch the crab crackers working at cracking a crab. Those crabs are expensive.

At the Embarcadero, there's the Ferry Building. Inside there will be several places where you can catch a bite to eat. There's a sandwich place, where you can get a sandwich, and then sit outside right on the water.

On the Embarcadero, if you feel like doing a good deed and get some good food, try the Delancey Street Restaurant.

Union Square is not a place for cheap food, but there is a Jack In the Box a block off, if you are willing to walk a bit - just don't go too far westward - you'll be in the Tenderloin. If you don't want to be in a sketchy neighborhood with your kids, then don't go to the Tenderloin, otherwise, there are all kinds of inexpensive places to eat there.

There are plenty of restaurants in Japantown. You can't go wrong just walking into whatever suits your fancy.

Same for Chinatown, just depends on which end of the -town you're at.

Same for North Beach. Lots of great Italian restaurants there. I've often just walked in and had a bite to eat - can't even remember the name of the Italian restaurant!

Happy dining!
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Wow, lots of good ideas here. I actually found a coupon for 20% off at Lori's, so with your good word on it, we'll probably try that once. The kids would LOVE the 50's vibe.

Would Cha Cha Cha's have anything the vegetarian daughter would eat? Fish, shrimp, tofu etc?

We will only have a car our last day there, when we are going to visit Pacific Heights, Japantown, Presidio, Chrissy Field and GG Bridge over to Sausalito.

I checked out Belden Alley and that looks really unique and fun.

Where do you mean at Fishermans' Wharf where the kids could watch the people cracking the crabs? Do you mean IN the Rainforest Cafe, or is this something that you see out by the docks with actual fishermen?

Thanks for all your good thoughts and suggestions. Much appreciated.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Here's a reliable vegetarian place in the Civic Center area, in case you are visiting the Asian Museum, or if it's on your way to someplace else:

http://anandafuara.com/

It's run by the disciples of Sri Chinmoy - that's why all the waitresses will be wearing saris, though they are not by and large Indian. The restaurant is in a slightly grimy location but the place itself is spotless and the food is good. I love their house-made veggie burgers.

And if you or your children like Indian food, there are plenty of choices in the city, all inexpensive to moderate. If your teens want to check out Valencia Street and the Mission, here's my favorite South Indian place:

http://www.dosasf.com/

Old May 16th, 2008, 12:59 PM
dmlove

The 50s vibe at Lori's is definitely fun, but don't go there expecting particularly good food. It's just okay, even for diner food.

Old May 16th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Nobody has mentioned InNout Burger. The vegetarian will have to get by on fries and milkshakes, but a small sacrifice for the rest of the family.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM

North Beach Pizza has good food and isn't too expensive. We ate dinner at their Pier 39 location, overlooking the water.

You could go to the Ferry Building and pick up picnic supplies - bread from Acme, cheese from Cowgirl Creamery, etc.

Lee Ann
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM

We liked Salmagundi on Geary St for soups, saldads and quiches.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Here is the public transit site for the City http://www.sfmta.com/cms/home/sfmta.php includes maps etc.

You might need this in the event you don't see Stu somewhere on "the streets of San Francisco". Oh wait....that was a TV show with that Douglas fella.
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:00 PM
dmlove

We liked Salmagundi on Geary St for soups, saldads and quiches.

I did, too, when it existed

Old May 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM

DMlove, is it Starbucks now?
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:28 PM

My wife loves the smoked tofu with buckwheat noodles at Pomelo.

Rainforest - Easy - are you really sending someone to a "theme" restaurant at the Wharf.

Maybe I'm being a bit snobish - but why not take the opportunity to savour some of our wonderful ethinc & inexpensive out-of-the-way places instead of burger joints. Especially someone who states "We're pretty adventurous with our tastes and willing to try just about anything once".

I had a burger at Lories while my wife shopped - bad burger & soggy fries. Taylors is much better.

Dem Sum, Swan's, the take out at Slanted Door, all the places on Belden, - something they won't find at home.

Stu Dudley
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM

Delicious Chinese food in Chinatown, particularly Hunan Homes Restaurant on Jackson St between Grant and Kearny. Wonderful sauteed snow pea leaves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -