Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help Me Choose DC Hotel for Weekend Getaway (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-me-choose-dc-hotel-for-weekend-getaway-911383/)

Zoom Nov 6th, 2011 12:05 PM

Help Me Choose DC Hotel for Weekend Getaway

Hi there:
Two of us (mid-40s) heading to DC for a holiday weekend getaway in December. Looking for hotel recommendations. Some details for us are:
Can do $300 per night, weekend is to see the monuments , eat two fabulous dinners, national christmas tree and path of peace trees at night or dusk, hotel must be safe area (can't stand worrying about that on vacation), easy access to a metro, not interested in staying in VA or burbs. We would like hotel to be in a fun, upbeat area that we could walk to and from dinner w/out issue (but not looking to barhop or anything like that), hop on metro if needed for our daytime sightseeing. Appreciate a charming hotel experience. Flying in and would need to take cab to hotel. Any suggestions appreciated!!

yestravel Nov 6th, 2011 12:43 PM

Check out the DuPont Circle Hotel right on the circle. I think it's a great area...lots of restaurants and shops and you are a 5 minute walk to the Redline metro.

obxgirl Nov 6th, 2011 01:58 PM

Absolutely take a look at the Kimpton properties in the Dupont Circle area: Palomar, Rouge, Madera and Topaz. They are offering fantastic rates for weekends in December.

sf7307 Nov 6th, 2011 03:22 PM

We stayed at the DuPont Circle Hotel a couple of summers ago, and really liked it. The rooms are small, but well designed - very contemporary, though, so I'm not sure I'd use the word "charming" to describe it. We also looked at the Palomar on that trip and I have friends who've stayed there more than once and highly recommend it. We absolutely love staying in the DuPont Circle neighborhood. There's a nice/hip bar in the Dupont Circle hotel.

Zoom Nov 6th, 2011 04:02 PM

Thanks for these suggestions and I will check them all out! By the way, anyone aware of where the Occupy DC movement is camped out? I would like to not stay near that location...

yestravel Nov 6th, 2011 04:56 PM

DuPont Circle is not right near Occupy DC. Occupy DC is at McPherson Sq at 15th & k ST NW. u can google the hotels and see where they r in relation to McPherson Sq.

Zoom Nov 7th, 2011 11:09 AM

Thank you again.

Another quick question. If we fly into DCA on a Friday morning - would the quickest way to get to Dupont Circle to drop off carry on bags at a hotel be to jump on the metro or take a cab? About how far are we?

Thanks so much and no disrespect to the Occupy folks with that last question, just didn't want to be suprised with a large campout in our midst.

vjpblovesitaly Nov 7th, 2011 11:18 AM

Here is the ground transportation page from the DCA website:

http://www.metwashairports.com/reagan/1179.htm

yestravel Nov 7th, 2011 11:25 AM

Metro is very easy to manage with carry on luggage so that would be my choice. If its non rush hour a taxi might take u about 15-20 minutes. Metro will take take 20-25 minutes.

sf7307 Nov 7th, 2011 12:01 PM

<<<so that would be my choice>>>

Mine, too. It's one of the reasons I love to fly into DCA rather than the dreaded IAD.

gardendiva Nov 7th, 2011 12:46 PM

I just got back from DC and stayed at the Woodley Park Guest House. This was the 3rd time I have stayed there. You can see the Metro stop from the porch. I was traveling alone and felt very safe on my return from my tour of DC at night. It is located in a neighborhood with many restaurants and just one Metro stop from Dupont Circle. They also have a sister property close to Dupont Circle but the name escapes me. Their website is www.dcinns.com. You will not be disappointed.

willowjane Nov 7th, 2011 01:55 PM

We loved Hotel Madera - it was convenient, nice sized rooms, great staff, and great service. The restaurant there was not bad either! So many things to do in the Dupont Area. We loved the Phillips collection and the National Geo museum nearby. Have fun~!

yestravel Nov 8th, 2011 10:32 AM

Groupon DC currently has a deal on for a room at DuPont Circle Hotel- $125 for a night and combinable up to 4 nights.

kelbo Nov 8th, 2011 11:30 AM

My fiance stayed ay DuPont Circle hotel for a long weekend last year and loved it. Great location . Sightsee during the day and then be walking distance to restaurants and bars in this trendy fun neighborhood! Rooms were very clean, contemporary and staff was really nice. I would go back!